1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 18. "SOLITAIRE"/"LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM" (1721-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jan 14, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Solitaire"

28 vote(s)
    71.8%
  2. Side B: "Love Me For What I Am"

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Point understood.
    (A) I wonder if we have input from the "roadies", the band, regarding this issue.
    In other words, exactly how exhausted were the rest of the band, do we the same complaints from them ?
    As of this date in time, I remain unconvinced of the exact nature of "too much touring" and
    how it did, or did not, impact the career trajectory of Carpenters.
    (B) Karen, and Richard, by many accounts, were in perfectly fine physical and mental condition up to late 1974--
    and, the heaviest touring correlated with those years prior to 1975, and during their greatest success.
    (C) Television production--those Television Specials--1976-1980,
    took 12-16 hr per day to do, that would have been physically and mentally grueling
    (I've worked in television studio),especially when added to the time spent in the recording studio.
    I read very little regarding that toll on the duo (and, then they were older and in much worse health !),
    or, its toll on their later-career.

2. GaryAlan

I could listen to this all day....Quad sound....
    Solitaire,
    This is a fantastic song, from a fantastic LP.
    I'll never stop loving this song, and this album....
    Horizon !

David A and ars nova like this.
  3. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

I don't know. I buy it, honestly. The quality of the Richard-penned tunes got worse after that, IMHO. There were few memorable tunes after 1974 written by Carpenter/Bettis. Also important to note that while they were incredibly successful prior (as you stated), they were very much yesterday's news by 1975. They weren't doing nearly as well after that. The lack of great material to flesh out "A Kind of Hush" and all albums after may very well have been a product of too much touring. How can you write great tunes when you're always on the road?

Ed

4. GaryAlan

^^Thanks for that, Ed !
    But, it does seem to me that the Carpenter/Bettis penned work
    correlated precisely to the times of heaviest touring:
    Goodbye To Love,
    Yesterday Once More,
    Top of the World,
    Only Yesterday,
    I Need To Be In Love.

Wile,
    the Carpenter/Bettis collaboration penned the fewest tunes during times of least touring.
    And, those tunes were less momentful than the earlier work.

5. GaryAlan

^^I am getting old....above, change 'wile' to 'While' !