⭐ Official Review [Single]: 19. "THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH"/"(I'M CAUGHT BETWEEN) GOODBYE AND I LOVE YOU" (1800-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)"

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Side B: "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You"

Votes: 32 59.3%

• Total voters
That being said... just this morning I published the music video for "(There's a Kind of Hush) All Over the World" on YouTube.

Here's why the video I published is a little different!
- The source video is the Japanese Yesterday Once More DVD. The Gold DVD has a noticeable trail on all of the videos. YOM does not have this trail. If you take the Gold DVD and press pause randomly, chances are you will see a trailing image. I don't know for certain how/why this phenomenon happens, but it does not happen on the YOM DVD.
- I de-telecined the source video (i.e. reversed the 3-2 pull down) and set the video output to a variable frame rate. You will notice on the DVD version, the video moves for 4 frames, then pauses for 1 frame, and this pattern repeats throughout the whole video because the source is film.
- The final product ran at an average of 24.5 frames per second (which explains why the video sounds fast). So, in Adobe Premiere Pro, I slowed the video down to 24 frames per second at a constant frame rate.
- The film grain + tape meant a very green-gray grain, which I did not like. I made some minor brightness and color corrections.
- The montage of single covers at the end did not run at a constant pace; I fixed that and matched it up with the beat. :)

Cheers!

Excellent work (again)! Much cleaner all around. Very smooth (thanks to the de-telecine'ing). Also love the color correction work. Just had to set this apart.

Ed

Okay, the tunes:

"A Kind of Hush" goes down easy but it leaves no real impression on me. Karen's phrasing and doubling sounds sweet and Richard's vocal arranging is...well, it's Richard so it's great. I just don't really care for the tune.

"I'm Caught..." is just sleepy. Karen's phrasing is masterful and her low notes are heavenly but, again, this leaves no impression. It's just...there. As such, I'd have likely passed on this when it was new.

Ed

Last night, I was dozing off, and as I was, I was speeding up “(I’m Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You” to what I thought was “the correct speed” and it sounded lovely. When I listen to the CD rips of it now, it does sound sleep/flat, as Ed said.

I sped up the CD rip by 1.175% in Audacity, and it sounds great.

I did a little experiment in Adobe Audition...

I sped up the audio by half a semitone, and I think it makes a big difference. Tonically, it's closer to the key of F (but not quite).

Thoughts? (Not sure if I want to make this video public.)

I sped up the audio by half a semitone, and I think it makes a big difference. Tonically, it's closer to the key of F (but not quite).

Its nice and all but i prefer the regular version. Is there a way to make an acapella version?

Sounds chipmunk-like to me, but then I'm sensitive to speed differentials. I can't stand it when I watch a PAL TV show that's sped up by 4%.

Sounds chipmunk-like to me, but then I'm sensitive to speed differentials. I can't stand it when I watch a PAL TV show that's sped up by 4%.
It's odd, because the version that is released is between two semitones... Go up to F, and it sounds too high. Go down to E, and it sounds really slow. I wonder if there's a story behind it.

Cuyler, I would not make it "public." Not an improvement to my ears.
LP Horizon, as far as I am concerned, is perfect as is. No tinkering needed.

Cuyler, I would not make it "public." Not an improvement to my ears.
LP Horizon, as far as I am concerned, is perfect as is. No tinkering needed.
Still quite curious to know why this one song floats between E major and F major...

I can tell you that the A&M CD version is ever-so-slightly slower than the Remastered Classic. Not enough for a semi-tone, I don't think, since the two playing at the same time sound to be musically in the same key.

I can tell you that the A&M CD version is ever-so-slightly slower than the Remastered Classic. Not enough for a semi-tone, I don't think, since the two playing at the same time sound to be musically in the same key.
Yeah, I compared the two in Audacity last night. They're essentially the same key. Half a semitone up makes the song just shy of F major; half a semitone down makes the song a little sharp of E major. I'll upload the E major version to YouTube and leave it up temporarily to see what kind of feedback you folks have.

Isn't it strange that it hovers between the two? I wonder what the story is behind that. I actually think they recorded it in E major then sped the tape up half a semitone in the mastering process -- maybe they considered the raw/flat recording to be too slow, but noticed that going up a full semitone from E to F would cause that "chipmunk" effect.

It's possible that the original backing track was recorded in either E of F, and when vocals were added, the recorded backing track was playing on a tape machine running at either slightly too slow or too fast a speed. Stranger things have happened in the recording industry.

Vanished before I could hear it. Oh well.. :wink:

Ed

I stand corrected. The CD version I was using (CD 4530) runs just sharp of E. I think in order to match the key of E, it would be slowed down by about 1%. So the final version isn't in the middle of E and F, but it does hover somewhere between them, on the side closer to E.

Vanished before I could hear it. Oh well.. :wink:

Ed
Haha! You didn't miss anything special. It sounded a bit "chipmunkish," like Harry said. I'm exploring slowing it to match the key of E on the dot, but imho you might find it too slow since it's even slower than the album version.

This all being said... I do love "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You." I've always found it to be very wistful.

I'm exploring slowing it to match the key of E on the dot
Using my quad disc as a reference point, here's what I came up with.

"(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You" in the key of E. -0.17 semitones from the CD version (CD 4530). Probably not going to make this video public or fill in the details, but posting here just in case folks are interested.

I'm going to take down the YouTube video. Here's the MP3 of the speed-corrected track. :)

Broadcast Programming, November 1976 :
Richard Carpenter:
"Some mixes actually sound better in mono than they do in stereo.
Hurting Each Other is a good example of that. Before I let a record go out, I listen to it ... we do it in stereo, and then I want to hear it in C.S.G.
over one speaker. If it doesn't sound right, even with the C.S.G. working, we will do a straight mono mix.
But lately, they have been sounding okay."
Source:

I'm just not a mono person. We live in a stereo world because most of us have two working ears. We don't naturally hear in mono. I have zero desire to hear mono anything if it can be avoided. There is an energy from those old recordings before stereo was possible and I can appreciate that. Mono certainly won't distract me from enjoying a song. Still, if I can have that in stereo, I'm even happier.

"Hurting Each Other" just sounds neutered this way for me. It's not big enough.

Ed

I'm just not a mono person. We live in a stereo world because most of us have two working ears. We don't naturally hear in mono. I have zero desire to hear mono anything if it can be avoided. There is an energy from those old recordings before stereo was possible and I can appreciate that. Mono certainly won't distract me from enjoying a song. Still, if I can have that in stereo, I'm even happier.

"Hurting Each Other" just sounds neutered this way for me. It's not big enough.

Ed
Hearing the mono is a nice way to hear the song in a different way. Certain sounds are more emphasized, certain others are reduced a bit, and the tiny bit of reverb adds a bit of excitement to the record. I used to avoid mono records like the plague, going out of my way to find stereo records and songs. Now I can appreciate the sometimes subtle, sometimes major, differences between the two.

Back
Top Bottom