⭐ Official Review [Single]: 19. "THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH"/"(I'M CAUGHT BETWEEN) GOODBYE AND I LOVE YOU" (1800-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)"

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Side B: "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You"

Votes: 32 59.3%

• Total voters
I love "There's A Kind Of Hush" I actually ordered the 45' from eBay yesterday. It's one I don't have yet (I'm 16)
my first album of theirs was 40/40 which I got when I was 14. After playing those 40 songs millions of times, I decided to find some more... And I found There's A Kind Of Hush. I learned it was a single and wondered why it wasn't on 40/40.
I then went on amazon and got my first Carpenters studio albums: "A Kind Of Hush" and "A Christmas Portrait" .
Then I became a big fan! Ordered "Horizon" and "As Time Goes By".
It was Christmas soon after and I got all of their other studio albums. ☺
WOW - A newbie! LOVE IT!

I'm curious... with your fresh approach to listening to all of the albums, would you care to rank a top 3 for us? Or pen a sentence or two about each of the studio albums from your perspective?

I think it would be refreshing to hear how you rank the lps, since you basically have heard them all at virtually the same time... For some of us, speaking for myself mostly, the timing of the releases made a difference to me in terms of which albums and releases ultimately became my favorites....

Also - care to tell us how you happened upon the Carpenters? Thanks! And Welcome aboard!

I voted for side B. But not a fan of either. I feel side B exploits Karen's lovely vocal range a lot more. It's easy to see why the duo (meaning Richard) were looking for another Please Mr Postman in A Kind Of Hush. By 1976, however, their fan base was eroding and the album A Kind Of Hush just didn't have the depth and quality of material that Horizon had (not to mention "album sales").

WOW - A newbie! LOVE IT!

I'm curious... with your fresh approach to listening to all of the albums, would you care to rank a top 3 for us? Or pen a sentence or two about each of the studio albums from your perspective?

I think it would be refreshing to hear how you rank the lps, since you basically have heard them all at virtually the same time... For some of us, speaking for myself mostly, the timing of the releases made a difference to me in terms of which albums and releases ultimately became my favorites....

Also - care to tell us how you happened upon the Carpenters? Thanks! And Welcome aboard!
hi,
well it's difficult to rank a top 3 because there's not an album which I don't love. Anyway here goes.
1.Horizon
2. Now & Then
3. A Song For You

Here's my thoughts on each album:

Ticket To Ride / Offering-
this being their first album is actually the last studio album i got. Considering its a first attempt I think it's very well done however, not one I listen to as much. I feel there's nothing too exciting on it

Close To You-
this for me is when the Carpenters became "The Carpenters" it's a good album. Again not one of my most listened to albums

Carpenters-
This album is a huge improvement from the last two, some true gems and I love the Medley but, I feel some songs let it down slightly like Druscilla Penny

A Song For You-
One of their bests so many hit songs, I feel A Song For You is probably one of the best songs on it, if not the best.

Now & Then-
again one of their bests, love practically every song. Side 2 would win by a mile for me.

Live In Japan-
Out of their 2 live albums this one wins! It beats it due to both it's content and the albums design (the LP)

Horizon-
by far one of the best in terms of the arrangements and production it's spectacular. High Quality.

Live At The Palladium-
great concert yet I feel it's a bit short whilst the medley is terrific it's responsible for it's short length due to the hits all being in it!

A Kind Of Hush-
this seems to me like quite a tired sounding album this could be because of the touring, tv, albums ect.that took it's tool on both of their health. Favourite on this is the title track.

Passage-
a very varied album... Which is great! It has 'classic carpenters' as well as more adventurous songs country, sci-fi musicals ect. Overall it's a good album especially All You Get From Love Is A Love Song.

Christmas Portrait-
a very magical and warm album. It does its job x10 this album IS Christmas! By far the best out of the two.

Made In America-
whilst it gets bad reviews from fans and critics this is another one of my favorite albums. I like every song on it. I also feel it has lush arrangements.

Voice Of The Heart-
a very sad album for two reasons it's content and the context... It being released after Karen's death. Beautiful album that I actually just listened to.

An Old Fashioned Christmas-
a little bit of a let down compared to it's older sibling Christmas Portrait. That's not because it's a bad album-it's a good album, it's because the first in 1978 is so good. It could do with some more songs with Karen on vocals and maybe less instrumentals.

Time (Richard)-
this is really an under-rated album, I love it. Some very good songs on it. My favorite is I'm Still Not Over You.
I wish Richard would make more Solo albums like this.

Lovelines-
it's an ok album with beautiful gems of songs on it.

Karen Carpenter-
another under-rated album. I treasure this album the songs are brilliant just listen to the overdubbed vocals Karen added to her lead. It just shows how much Love and time she put into it. It should have been given a chance. I must add that I also love the unreleased Solo songs. A double album would have been terrific.

Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor-
I only listen to this once every blue moon. It's a beautiful arranged album yet It doesn't have much appeal except to people who like classical music. He should have made another like Time instead.

As Time Goes By-
amazing! It's old yet refreshing. Very mixed in terms of where the tracks were sourced from but, that's great we need more like this one. A treasure chest.

there will be some exciting news relating to this in "the near future"
I became bored of todays songs when I was 14 so started listening to older songs. Remembered Close To You from the Simpsons (and had learned of Karen after watching Autopsy the last hours) my mum heard me listening and mysteriously Yesterday Once More came on the radio in the car which my mum told me was the Carpenters. So I decided to get 40/40 and so my Carpenters obsession began!

As Time Goes By-
amazing! It's old yet refreshing. Very mixed in terms of where the tracks were sourced from but, that's great we need more like this one. A treasure chest.

I'm really thankful we ever got this album. After Richard declared Lovelines the final album, all I thought we'd get was the odd track or two dribbling out on compilations. This was a real treasure chest of outtakes and unreleased tracks, the likes of which I don't think we'll see again from Richard.

hi,
well it's difficult to rank a top 3 because there's not an album which I don't love. Anyway here goes.
1.Horizon
2. Now & Then
3. A Song For You

this being their first album is actually the last studio album i got. Considering its a first attempt I think it's very well done however, not one I listen to as much. I feel there's nothing too exciting on it

Close To You-
this for me is when the Carpenters became "The Carpenters" it's a good album. Again not one of my most listened to albums

Carpenters-
This album is a huge improvement from the last two, some true gems and I love the Medley but, I feel some songs let it down slightly like Druscilla Penny

A Song For You-
One of their bests so many hit songs, I feel A Song For You is probably one of the best songs on it, if not the best.

Now & Then-
again one of their bests, love practically every song. Side 2 would win by a mile for me.

Live In Japan-
Out of their 2 live albums this one wins! It beats it due to both it's content and the albums design (the LP)

Horizon-
by far one of the best in terms of the arrangements and production it's spectacular. High Quality.

Live At The Palladium-
great concert yet I feel it's a bit short whilst the medley is terrific it's responsible for it's short length due to the hits all being in it!

A Kind Of Hush-
this seems to me like quite a tired sounding album this could be because of the touring, tv, albums ect.that took it's tool on both of their health. Favourite on this is the title track.

Passage-
a very varied album... Which is great! It has 'classic carpenters' as well as more adventurous songs country, sci-fi musicals ect. Overall it's a good album especially All You Get From Love Is A Love Song.

Christmas Portrait-
a very magical and warm album. It does its job x10 this album IS Christmas! By far the best out of the two.

Made In America-
whilst it gets bad reviews from fans and critics this is another one of my favorite albums. I like every song on it. I also feel it has lush arrangements.

Voice Of The Heart-
a very sad album for two reasons it's content and the context... It being released after Karen's death. Beautiful album that I actually just listened to.

a little bit of a let down compared to it's older sibling Christmas Portrait. That's not because it's a bad album-it's a good album, it's because the first in 1978 is so good. It could do with some more songs with Karen on vocals and maybe less instrumentals.

Time (Richard)-
this is really an under-rated album, I love it. Some very good songs on it. My favorite is I'm Still Not Over You.

Lovelines-

Karen Carpenter-
another under-rated album. I treasure this album the songs are brilliant just listen to the overdubbed vocals Karen added to her lead. It just shows how much Love and time she put into it. It should have been given a chance. I must add that I also love the unreleased Solo songs. A double album would have been terrific.

I only listen to this once every blue moon. It's a beautiful arranged album yet It doesn't have much appeal except to people who like classical music. He should have made another like Time instead.

As Time Goes By-

I became bored of todays songs when I was 14 so started listening to older songs. Remembered Close To You from the Simpsons (and had learned of Karen after watching Autopsy the last hours) my mum heard me listening and mysteriously Yesterday Once More came on the radio in the car which my mum told me was the Carpenters. So I decided to get 40/40 and so my Carpenters obsession began!
GREAT story and insightful commentary on the albums... Thanks so much for sharing! and again - welcome aboard! Always cool to hear of how people get turned on to Carpenters music...

Just one listen to "that voice" usually does it! :)

Take care and have a great week!

hi,
1.Horizon
2. Now & Then
3. A Song For You

Close To You-

Carpenters-

A Song For You-

Now & Then-

Live In Japan-

Horizon-

Live At The Palladium-

A Kind Of Hush-

Passage-

Christmas Portrait-

Made In America-

Voice Of The Heart-

Time (Richard)-

Lovelines-

Karen Carpenter-

As Time Goes By-

That's a great story. . .not dissimilar to mine, just 25 years later.

Listened to the 45-Single of Hush, today.
I really like this song !
Of course, the flip-side is fantastic.
Too bad the single, Hush , gets over-looked...I love the arrangement,
castanets,sax, strings, horns, guitar, drums (Jim Gordon).....
the "ooh-la" at the end....love it...
Interesting, not on From The Top, yet reappears on The Essential Collection....

I love this song, too, Gary Alan. Its seems among us fans, it has become a guilty pleasure. One of my favorites and one that always pits me in a good mood!

I love watching these "drum-covers-of Carpenters' songs"
Here, one of my favorite songs:
There's A Kind Of Hush
.....lots of things happening in this song....

^^Yep, I thought the same when I watched, but still, it's an effort on his part !
I get a sense of the incredible talent Karen Carpenter must have had--
in concert, when singing and playing simultaneously.

There s a kind of hush all over the world.chart facts.

Australia.33
Canada.8
France.47
Ireland.7
Israel.5
Japan.27
New zealand.5
UK.22
USA.12

This is def a single where the B-Side is much better than the A. As a fan over the last seven years I've heard AKOH a million times and it's light and fun but it's pretty bland, and I kind of shocked this went to #12. The arrangement needed a major change to beef up the lead single for an album in which the title of the single was taken.

G&ILY I can understand for some to be plodding and I've seen other posters say that although they love Horizon, the song selection is draggy and a bit too languid, which I kind of agree with if you listen to it as a whole (I usually hear their discography on my iPod as individual songs). Still even with that its a sonically stunning piece that allows Karen to plumb the depths of her voice, technically and emotionally. I think it's actually a better song than LMFWIA.

Even if you think the latter track GAILY isn't up to par with so many other great ballads I don't think anyone can deny that it's a much better showcase for Karen than Hush. (It's amazing how in one year the warm, tubey, atmospheric sonic landscape of Horizon is not there on Hush - even the earlier 70s albums had better depth and clarity it seems. Hush and Passage (the latter especially) were not as well mixed as the earlier years. But CP and beyond were back to the richness.

The B-side gets my vote. There's something about the way those vocal lines are delivered. TAKOH was one of those moments, in my opinion, where if Richard would have known she wouldn't be around much longer, this is one of the ones that shouldn't have been recorded. Her voice was starting to develop such nuances at this point that it deserved material that would allow her to utilize fully those God-given gifts of hers. She was with us for a purpose, and I don't believe singing songs like TAKOH was fulfilling of that purpose. It's a great pop track and definitely a classic recycled hit, but she was better than bubblegum pop tunes and everyone knows it.

Billboard Magazine, "Rock Singles Best Sellers " Mid-April 1976:
1 RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED, Maxine Nightingale
2 DECEMBER 1963 (Oh What A Night), Four Seasons
3 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, Queen
4 LONELY NIGHT (Angel Face) , Captain & Tennille
5 DREAM WEAVER, Gary Wright
6 DISCO LADY, Johnnie Taylor
7 LET YOUR LOVE FLOW, Bellamy Brothers
8 THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (All Over The World), Carpenters
9 DEEP PURPLE, Donny & Marie Osmond
10 DREAM ON, Aerosmith
11 SHOW ME THE WAY, Peter Frampton
12 BOOGIE FEVER , Sylvers
13 ONLY SIXTEEN , Dr. Hook
14 FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE, Elvin Bishop

This brief list represents a great selection of music.
It is difficult to imagine another song off of the Hush LP which would have "fit" this chart,
at this point in time, better.
Listen to the 45-single of Hush, it is a great single (imho).

Last weekend one of the local stations played (during their usual 60’s/70’s Sunday morning music show), I believe, the original Herman’s Hermits version of TAKOH and I was not that taken with it. I didn’t find the instruments to have been done that well and the song kind of felt rushed when compared to the Carpenters. I think the Carpenters version is the standard for the song.

The C's def did the best version of the song (though I think it would have been much more effective with the slow, spoken word opening they did live) but it needed more meat to it for a single. Karen sounds phoned in and they both just sound sleepy, which they were by 1976.

The C's def did the best version of the song (though I think it would have been much more effective with the slow, spoken word opening they did live) but it needed more meat to it for a single. Karen sounds phoned in and they both just sound sleepy, which they were by 1976.

I remember a review which described it as the “vapid title track”. That’s a perfect description for it: the meaning of that word is “offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging; bland”.

^^It was Ray Coleman who used that description for song Hush: "vapid." (page 211, Coleman).
Ray Coleman, the same person who panned Lovelines album and the KC solo album.
So, I do not believe that description of song Hush, whatsoever.
Take note, the LP A Kind Of Hush is not my favorite,
but, there are some great songs on the album (INTBIL, One More Time)
There's A Kind Of Hush is also a very creative remake by the duo.
Just my two cents.

A handful songs on AKOH are great songs and ones I wouldn't call bland, but this is an album where the less great songs could legit be called filler, whereas I don't think there's any of that on previous albums. Filler to me isn't a more subdued, album track, but an album cut that feels lazy and rather uninspired.

A handful songs on AKOH are great songs and ones I wouldn't call bland, but this is an album where the less great songs could legit be called filler, whereas I don't think there's any of that on previous albums. Filler to me isn't a more subdued, album track, but an album cut that feels lazy and rather uninspired.
I actually enjoy a few tracks off of this album. You, Can't Smile Without You and One More Time are solid tracks in my opinion. A lot of people like I Have You as well, but it sounds a little too old fogey to me, like they were channeling the Andrews Sisters in the choruses.

Billboard Magazine, "Rock Singles Best Sellers " Mid-April 1976:
1 RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED, Maxine Nightingale
2 DECEMBER 1963 (Oh What A Night), Four Seasons
3 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, Queen
4 LONELY NIGHT (Angel Face) , Captain & Tennille
5 DREAM WEAVER, Gary Wright
6 DISCO LADY, Johnnie Taylor
7 LET YOUR LOVE FLOW, Bellamy Brothers
8 THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (All Over The World), Carpenters
9 DEEP PURPLE, Donny & Marie Osmond
10 DREAM ON, Aerosmith
11 SHOW ME THE WAY, Peter Frampton
12 BOOGIE FEVER , Sylvers
13 ONLY SIXTEEN , Dr. Hook
14 FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE, Elvin Bishop

This brief list represents a great selection of music.
It is difficult to imagine another song off of the Hush LP which would have "fit" this chart,
at this point in time, better.
Listen to the 45-single of Hush, it is a great single (imho).
I think Can't Smile Without You would fit just fine on this list, but maybe that's just me.

I actually enjoy a few tracks off of this album. You, Can't Smile Without You and One More Time are solid tracks in my opinion. A lot of people like I Have You as well, but it sounds a little too old fogey to me, like they were channeling the Andrews Sisters in the choruses.

One More Time is a gem, but IHY for instance sounds tired and listless; I can hear it and technically enjoy it for Karen's voice but beyond that warm experience it's just not up to par at all.

Back
Top Bottom