1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 2. "(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU"/"I KEPT ON LOVING YOU" (1183)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, May 7, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU"

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Side B: "(I KEPT ON LOVING YOU)"

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Meant to add, I'm not sure why we feel compelled to pit Karen against Richard in our discussions. And I even fall into that as well in some discussions. They are both gifted from God with their talents. Separately both are good, together, great.

Geographer likes this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that Richard Carpenter received five Grammy Nominations for arrangements,
    and, these songs span an interesting gamut:
    Close To You
    Superstar
    Sing
    Calling Occupants

The fifth escapes memory.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

He was nominated for “Flat Baroque” for ‘Best Instrumental Arrangement’.

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Occupants should have won the Grammy for that. It goes to show, whatever their personal and professional issues at the time, he still had the magic touch for the song to be nominated.

5. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that Richard performs portions of
    I Kept On Loving You
    in this Carol Burnett Show Medley:

Carpe diem likes this.
  6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

Even in that medley, it's interesting how Richard was highlighted quite a bit---and he wasn't even playing piano--- and he even had I Kept On Loving You, which seemed to be the best song of the medley, for himself. And I think that was missing from the later albums and appearances that "duo".

Geographer likes this.
  7. Brian

Brian Active Member

The choice of Richard as lead vocalist on some of the earlier Carpenters recordings has recently been discussed on other threads. In this case, his performance was also considered for a single 'A' side, (I think). From memory, earlier pressings of 'Close to You' had 'I Kept On Loving You' with the lowest catalogue number. This indicated the preferred 'A' side. Neither side had the large, prominent 'A'. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I remember. I'm guessing this has already been discussed in this thread, but I haven't been back and read the past comments.

I like 'I Kept On Loving You'. It has a lot of energy and is a fun song. I like the background vocals.

Another of Richard's songs that I like is 'Get Together'. Generally, I'm as big a fan of Richard as I am of Karen for his respective talents but I usually don't particularly like his lead singing vocals.

I think I like 'Close to You' marginally better than 'I Kept On Loving You'.

8. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

First time I have seen this, thanks for posting.

Maybe a little off topic but I find it curious that they selected An Old Fashioned Love Song to start the medley, considering it was a song written specifically with the duo in mind, but Richard rejected it outright.

GaryAlan likes this.
  9. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

Will you look at that? Richard having fun! I also have to hand it to his ear! He sounds phenomenal in the background - coming up with parts I wasn't expecting and really centering the harmonic structures. Carol Burnett, for her part, is a woefully-underrated singer and she more than holds her own in that department.

Ed

Carpe diem and GaryAlan like this.
  10. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.