⭐ Official Review [Single]: 21. "GOOFUS"/"BOAT TO SAIL" (1859-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Goofus"

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Side B: "Boat To Sail"

Votes: 31 67.4%

• Total voters
I voted for Goofus. Goofus was originally a hit in the mid 1930's, but, it was also a hit covered by Les Paul [instrumental version] in 1950, and vocal version by Phil [Baloo] Harris about the same time. So chances are one of these records was in the 78 rpm collection of Harold Carpenter. Its quite possible that Kc and Rc listened to and enjoyed Goofus as young children.
Each time I listen to the lovely up tempo tune of Goofus what I imagine , is the delight of two children dancing around the room, the sound of laughter echoing around the basement of their Connecticut home, to music they don't even understand. It makes me smile. My children, and grandchildren did this for hours on end with their favorite music.

It also might explain how the song was selected for the TAKOH album. More of a homage to there roots, or just a little fun thing to remember in difficult times.

Why was it selected as a single? RC spent most of his career counter programing current trends. Spectrum, Summerchimes, Carpenters with success. Goofus had already been a hit at least three times. So maybe it would be again. Worth the gamble? I think that was part of the calculation. Not random.

Its also interesting to note that TAKOH was released in in 1966 while Disneys Jungle Book film was in production. Phil Harris voiced Baloo the bear [The Bare Necessities - Wikipedia ]. Maybe some cross pollination happened with their connection to Disney.

Anyway, I prefer to think about a couple of kids dancing around just being really silly, and happy.

The worst two songs on the album paired as a single. Who made these decisions?

Agree totally. Complete disaster of a single. Their very worst for me. Goofus shouldn’t even exist. We couldn’t know this then but why did Richard waste Karen on Goofus? It’s a novelty thing through and through- silly mouth pop and all.

“Boat to Sail” is decent and I’d have flipped the single.

Why was “You” not released as a single? It’s so obvious. A little elevator-y, yeah, but Karen’s vocal is just perfect and the vocal arrangement is too.

Ed

As a song featured on Lawrence Welk’s TV show, it may have helped cement them in easy elevator stations. Thankfully, not many people knew about its single release.

I wouldn't be so quick to foist all of the blame of "Goofus" on Richard. This was likely an old record in "Dad's" collection that both of the duo liked as children. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Karen was a big proponent of including the song in their repetoire.

^^Probably, so.
I am, however, reminded of the Liner Notes for the 40th cd-set:
Richard Carpenter..."I now feel I was not at my best, and am not pleased with some
of the material chosen, such as Goofus and Breaking Up Is Hard To Do."

Goofus is ok as an album song just Breaking Up should have never been chosen even though it’s done well, it’s too close to the partridge family who within 5 years had a giant hit with it. I would have rather heard some live duet between Karen and Neil.

I wouldn't be so quick to foist all of the blame of "Goofus" on Richard. This was likely an old record in "Dad's" collection that both of the duo liked as children. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Karen was a big proponent of including the song in their repetoire.
True and don’t forget what Karen said on stage when someone asked her to sing Goofus.

I should think that's likely, and it's certainly true that Karen was responsible for bringing certain lightweight songs like 'Sweet Sweet Smile' into the fold. However, the decision to release 'Goofus' as a single was surely Richard's.

Except for
Sweet, Sweet Smile
I can recall no instance where Karen has been exclusively credited
for finding a song that the duo recorded.
As for selection of a song for Single-release, it appears that this was
the sole province of Richard's duties (source anyone ?).
Without documentation before me, I can reach no firm conclusion.
Needless to say, I love
Goofus,
so it matters not to me !

As for selection of a song for Single-release, it appears that this was the sole province of Richard's duties (source anyone ?). Without documentation before me, I can reach no firm conclusion.

Surely commercial decisions like this should have been down to the label, not the artist's personal preference? As an example, I remember for the release of ABBA's The Visitors, their label Polar Music sent out a sample of potential contenders from the album to all their affiliates around the world asking for their opinions on which song would serve best as lead single. Despite Bjorn's preference for another track (I think When All Is Said And Done), it was One Of Us that came back as the firm favourite and that was the song that Polar duly selected as the first single internationally.

Never heard this. What did she say?

It was during the Japanese Telethon at the A&M Lot in 1981. After singing Beechwood 4-5789, Karen asked the audience what song they would like to hear next. Someone shouted out "Goofus!", to which Karen replied "that's a good song!". You can see it here at 4:33:

^^”Why do bees suddenly appear? Every time you are near? Ahh Karen, to be Close To You” :laugh:

That works :laugh:

Watching that short clip again reminded me how good Karen was at ad-libbing and comedy. She's hilarious in this clip and so sharp. The way she plays around with the Japanese host is so funny to watch.

Karen: Hi! How's it going?
Presenter: Everything's cool.
Karen: No it's not, it's 98 degrees.

:laugh:

Last edited:
That works :laugh:

Watching that short clip again reminded me how good Karen was at ad-libbing and comedy. She's hilarious in this clip and so sharp. The way she plays around with the Japanese host is so funny to watch.

Karen: Hi! How's it going?
Presenter: Everything's cool.
Karen: No it's not, it's 98 degrees.

:laugh:
I always laugh when the Japanese host says oh ok so what is this like a blackout? I know he’s probably trying to find the right American word but that always makes me laugh and then Karen is like well since none of this is MY fault...you go Karen don’t take the blame for this mess up :laugh:

Along the same lines, I love this interview of the duo at A&M Studios. Karen goes out of her way to thank the interviewer in Japanese. No wonder they are so highly regarded in Japan:

So, I have been listening to the UK-released
Singles 1974-1978, this is one of my favorite compilations,
as I believe it exhibits diversity and creativity of Carpenters' selection of songs.
To round out this collection, it would have been interesting to include both
Goofus (1976) and I Believe You (1978) --speaking of diversity in songs !
Of course, the album already consists of 12 songs, so,
someone had to make the choice of song-selection.

So, I have been listening to the UK-released
Singles 1974-1978, this is one of my favorite compilations,
as I believe it exhibits diversity and creativity of Carpenters' selection of songs.
To round out this collection, it would have been interesting to include both
Goofus (1976) and I Believe You (1978) --speaking of diversity in songs !
Of course, the album already consists of 12 songs, so,
someone had to make the choice of song-selection.

One of my favorite compilations too! I would imagine if it had been released in the States, the track listing may have included the above two you mentioned, and maybe excluded "Jambalaya and Happy" to keep it at 12 tracks. (???)

All the talk about Karen Carpenter's rendition of Still In Love With You,
got me thinking about this song, Goofus--another FAVORITE cut of mine !
So, it reached a mere 54 (?) on the singles charts. Guess what...I do not care.
It gets berated. Many fans do not like it. I do not care.
This song is brilliantly arranged.
Karen does admirable with the lead vocal.
As with Still In Love With You, I loved the song from 'first hear.'
Well, we all have our quirks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom