⭐ Official Review [Single]: 22. "ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS A LOVE SONG"/"I HAVE YOU" (1940-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song"

Votes: 58 95.1%
  • Side B: "I Have You"

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
I must reiterate, as I was listening to this Single this morning,
this song is one of the best pieces of ear candy I have ever heard.
I remember the first time I heard it on the radio (and, that was also the last time)
and felt it was the shot-in-the-arm the duo needed to get them back on top,
unfortunately, I was wrong.....

I must reiterate, as I was listening to this Single this morning,
this song is one of the best pieces of ear candy I have ever heard.
I remember the first time I heard it on the radio (and, that was also the last time)
and felt it was the shot-in-the-arm the duo needed to get them back on top,
unfortunately, I was wrong.....
I thought so too.

I must reiterate, as I was listening to this Single this morning, this song is one of the best pieces of ear candy I have ever heard. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio (and, that was also the last time) and felt it was the shot-in-the-arm the duo needed to get them back on top, unfortunately, I was wrong.....

I love the song and always have. It’s hard to believe it wasn’t a hit, even despite their gradual decline by 1977. For me, it’s pure ear candy and so right for radio. The background vocal arrangement, especially during the second half of the sax break, is just sublime and always gives me chills. Karen is up near the top of her vocal range and sounds amazing.

I love the song and always have. It’s hard to believe it wasn’t a hit, even despite their gradual decline by 1977. For me, it’s pure ear candy and so right for radio. The background vocal arrangement, especially during the second half of the sax break, is just sublime and always gives me chills. Karen is up near the top of her vocal range and sounds amazing.

Most definitely agree with everything that has been said about this. Love the vocals, the arrangement and there's quite a bit going on with it overall. It was a pretty big session - a lot of players and I believe the orch was cut in at least (2) separate sessions, not to mention the rhythm tracks.

I went through my notes and I was reminded that the horns, woodwinds, guitars and percussion were all part of the rhythm tracking session. Strings and a couple of incidental overdubs came later.

I just think djays did not want to play it. If it came the summer before in 1976 it may have fared better. I’m trying to remember back but what I most remember is how it stalled in the Top 40 not making it past 20 and was shocked!

The background vocal arrangement, especially during the second half of the sax break, is just sublime and always gives me chills. Karen is up near the top of her vocal range and sounds amazing.

Q. It’s been said that one time Karen, while riding in her car with a friend, started singing a song in a “higher range than she’s used to”. It was remarked to be beautiful, and Karen is reported to respond, “The money’s in the basement”. Why had you not highlighted her voice in a range that was seldom heard by us?”

A. She must have been singing in her ‘head voice’, Both Karen and I felt the magic was in her ‘chest voice’ (a.k.a. ‘basement’). There is no comparison in terms of richness in sound, so I wasn’t about to highlight the upper voice. We did use it every now and again for some arrangemental colorings. For example, you can hear it on 'here to remind you...' on the song 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again'. The second time it is sung, Karen and I cover three octaves; I go to a low F and Karen goes to a high F. That is her head voice. The thirds that are done underneath the second half of the sax solo in 'All You Get From Love Is A Love Song' also feature her head voice."

Carpenters Fans Ask-Richard Answers Archive

Back
Top Bottom