• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Single]: 27. "TOUCH ME WHEN WE'RE DANCING"/"BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE" (2344-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Touch Me When We're Dancing"

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • Side B: "Because We Are In Love"

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
After listening to Mary’s version again and then going back to the original 1979 version by Bama, then Carpenters and onto the 1986 Alabama version, I have to say...nobody does arrangements better than Richard. He really knocked this out of the ballpark. Still, to this day, my favourite Carpenters recording.
I was just thinking today just how incredible this arrangement actually is. Very underrated in my opinion...

GaryAlan

I ask: Why were they trekking all over the globe---performing the single live--instead of staying
in the USA and performing the song live for American audiences ? The sad answer may be that they were not
getting booked in the USA.

The claim was made in other threads that
Touch Me When We're Dancing
brought Carpenters' back to prominence for radio-airplay.
I dug up one source ( All US Top 40 Singles for 1981 - Top40Weekly.com)
which displays how fast the single dropped:
Week Ending August 29, 1981
THIS WEEK’S DROPS

TW... LW TITLE Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)
45.... 16 TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING –•– The Carpenters (A&M)-11 (16)

MorningOpensQuietly

I ask: Why were they trekking all over the globe---performing the single live--instead of staying
in the USA and performing the song live for American audiences ? The sad answer may be that they were not
getting booked in the USA.

The claim was made in other threads that
Touch Me When We're Dancing
brought Carpenters' back to prominence for radio-airplay.
I dug up one source ( All US Top 40 Singles for 1981 - Top40Weekly.com)
which displays how fast the single dropped:
Week Ending August 29, 1981
THIS WEEK’S DROPS

TW... LW TITLE Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)
45.... 16 TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING –•– The Carpenters (A&M)-11 (16)
Unfortunately, I remember this dreadful drop on Billboard's charts when it happened in 1981. I was so excited at their resurgence and was religiously following the single's rise by listening to American Top 40 on the weekly radio show. It was disappointing when it stalled on the countdown, and then wow, disappeared completely! I tried to rekindle my enthusiasm with the next couple of releases from MIA, but I think I knew in my heart of hearts, that this was it for their pop chart popularity. Of course, I nor anyone could sadly imagine the devastating death that was to occur in about 2 short years. We all now would have gladly traded the decline in record sales to the tragic loss that was to follow.

Carpe diem

"Of course, I nor anyone could sadly imagine the devastating death that was to occur in about 2 short years. We all now would have gladly traded the decline in record sales to the tragic loss that was to follow."

Your two closing sentences got to me...

goodjeans

Unfortunately, I remember this dreadful drop on Billboard's charts when it happened in 1981. I was so excited at their resurgence and was religiously following the single's rise by listening to American Top 40 on the weekly radio show. It was disappointing when it stalled on the countdown, and then wow, disappeared completely! I tried to rekindle my enthusiasm with the next couple of releases from MIA, but I think I knew in my heart of hearts, that this was it for their pop chart popularity. Of course, I nor anyone could sadly imagine the devastating death that was to occur in about 2 short years. We all now would have gladly traded the decline in record sales to the tragic loss that was to follow.
I have to agree. I was doing the same chart reading. I think that "Touch Me..." stayed at #16 for three weeks and then took a precipitous drop. Mt recollection may be incorrect.

GaryAlan

By the way, has anyone ever questioned why the japanese 45-vinyl-single release of
Those Good Old Dreams (AMP-732)
has, as its flip-side, I Just Fall In Love Again (from Passage).
Unusual way to promote Made In America album, right ?

tomswift2002

By the way, has anyone ever questioned why the japanese 45-vinyl-single release of
Those Good Old Dreams (AMP-732)
has, as its flip-side, I Just Fall In Love Again (from Passage).
Unusual way to promote Made In America album, right ?
It was usually up to the territory. Japan’s 45’s of All You Get From Love Is A Love Song had Eve (from Offering) as it’s B-side and their “Calling Occupants” had Mr. Guder.

Of course in North America, I Just Fall In Love Again appeared as the B-side to Honolulu City Lights in 1986! So even in the mid-1980’s, it was being used to promote Passage an album from 9 years earlier, rather than having the B-side be a track from Voice Of The Heart (like Prime Time Love.

Also, Japan is the only territory where (excluding the Magic Lamp single) Karen received 2 solo singles, as If I had You was backed by Lovelines in 1989 (the US had The Uninvited Guest as the B-Side; the Japanese 45 used the 1989 remixes) and in 1996 there was a 3-inch single of Make Believe It’s Your First Time/If We Try.

A&M Retro

I have to agree. I was doing the same chart reading. I think that "Touch Me..." stayed at #16 for three weeks and then took a precipitous drop. Mt recollection may be incorrect.
I’ve got the audio of Casey doing his intros each week while TMWWD was in the top 40. He always said something cool about Carpenters or shared a story about them. I think it was 3 or possibly 4 weeks where it was perched at number 16. That explains the fast drop afterwards.

goodjeans

I’ve got the audio of Casey doing his intros each week while TMWWD was in the top 40. He always said something cool about Carpenters or shared a story about them. I think it was 3 or possibly 4 weeks where it was perched at number 16. That explains the fast drop afterwards.
Casey and Karen lived in the same apartment building. I don't know why I know this, I just do. Century City.

Top Bottom