⭐ Official Review [Single]: 27. "TOUCH ME WHEN WE'RE DANCING"/"BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE" (2344-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Touch Me When We're Dancing"

Votes: 49 89.1%
  • Side B: "Because We Are In Love"

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
Sorry I would have to disagree with BWAIL bring one of Karen’s best. It’s a song that should’ve been left as an outtake, as Karen just never sounded convincing on it and it was just not that good of a song to start with.

It was a nice song to commemorate her wedding, but it shouldn’t have been included on the album. It’s overblown, overproduced and too sickly sweet. They should just have done the wedding version for the ceremony and left it at that - as a song for their private collection. Its saving grace is that it allows Karen to use her rich lower register, especially in the first chorus. That low note on the words “because we are in lovegives me chills every time I hear it.

Let's stay clear of the armchair psychiatry. You were not there. And even if you were, you were not privy to anyone's inner thoughts.

Focus on the music. That's what this forum is about.
I agree when it comes to random, unrelated speculation and attempted analysis of the personal relationship between Karen and her mother (or any others of interest in their sphere) - but briefly touching on known facts about that relationship, especially when those facts refer or relate to the lyrics and/or performance of a special song composed for a very special occassion is a legitimate topic of discussion and probably shouldn't be discouraged or prohibited. Yes, there is often a fine line of distinction...

I was guilty of the former right after I first joined up here when I attempted to diagnose all of the reasons, psychological and otherwise, why Karen would have deliberately "bagged" the audition she participated in to be Kenny Roger's girl singer...

All of the posts about the song and its lyrics remain. They are quite valuable and relevant. I'm just trying to steer the conversation clear of all of the speculations about interpersonal relationships, about which we're all in the dark. With much experience here as a moderator, I've witnessed all sorts of arguments and disagreements on these kind of subjects, none of which leads to anything positive.

I wish Richard would release the alternate recording and vocal take of Because We Are In Love. That’s got to be a real rarity in that there’s a whole other take out there. The only other examples of unreleased alternate versions I can think of are the first and second takes of Close To You.
If I remember correctly, only a few lines at most were from a different lead vocal take on the wedding ceremony version.

The original Paul Stookey 1971 song "Wedding Song (There Is Love)" (later done by Captain & Tennille on 1976 "Song Of Joy") & Canadian singer Joey Gregorash "Together (The New Wedding Song)" (from 1987) (later done by country singer Johnny Lee of 1980 "Looking For Love" back then) were better songs that The Carpenters "Because We Are In Love"!!

"Touch Me When We're Dancing" was the single that reintroduced me to the Carpenters. When I first heard it play over the radio here in New York City, the first thing that came to my head was "welcome back old friends". Then I immediately when out and bought the single.

Once I had the single, I played the "B" side, "Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)". My first impressing was "WOW, this is like straight out of a Disney movie!", but I mostly played the "A" side. Eventually, I started to play both sides every time I put the single on.

I never disliked the "B" side. I just had to be in a certain mood to listen to it. The more I listen to it, the more I really appreciated the lush orchestral arrangement, especially when listening through with a decent pair of headphones.

Danny

It took me a long while to appreciate Because We Are In Love.
However, it took guts to include it on any album intended for "the masses."
I venture to say that move was gutsy for the time and I now enjoy hearing Karen's vocalization on the song.

Given the circumstances BWAIL is a gross parody (let alone not being an especially appealing song musically), although very few there would have understood this - but, they already had 3 great wedding songs in the can that could have been played as a gorgeous medley: "We've Only Just Begun", "One Love" and "You're the One" - what more could anyone want?

Or, they could have gone with the more appropriate J. Geil's Band classic "Love Stinks"...

Last edited:
Given the circumstances BWAIL is a gross parody (let alone not being an especially appealing song musically), although very few there would have understood this - but, they already had 3 great wedding songs in the can that could have been played as a gorgeous medley: "We've Only Just Begun", "One Love" and "You're the One" - what more could anyone want?

Or, they could have gone with the more appropriate J. Geil's Band classic "Love Stinks"...
Especially true in the case of Mr. Burris! :wink: I for one, don't play 'BWAIL' for several reasons. The story behind it is really sad and depressing and the production is dripping with over-produced, glitzy schmaltz. It sounds like 'Cinderella' on steroids. It's well done for what it is, but it's kind of all over the place and doesn't grab me at all.

Last edited:
I listen to Druscilla Penny more than BWAIL. That should tell you how much I dislike the last song on Made in America.

Ah, what a girl. Seriously, though, it's not my thing either - not at all. It's intended to be a show tune-kinda thing and it hits that mark. However, for an album that was intended as a comeback of sorts, it's pretty ill-advised. This probably should have just been left for the wedding itself. Of course, we know how fans are. Had it been held, we'd demand to hear it anyway. It's what we do...LOL!

Ed

Of course, I am not out to alter anyone's opinion of the song (BWAIL),
but I feel it is one of Richard and John's more ambitious undertakings.
I can do without the choir, yet I feel that Karen sings it beautifully
and the arrangement is quite unlike anything else in their catalogue.
Granted, were Karen not singing the song, I would not bother with it.
But, she loved it and she emoted it beautifully,
and I like it !

Maybe Karen and Richard decided to include the song on the album knowing someone might be touched by the sentiment of the song and the lyrics. Maybe they thought it could touch someone much like We’ve Only Just Begun.

It’s a shame some dismiss the song entirely just because of Karen’s outcome and what happen. I enjoy the song for what it is and not the tragedy that became the end result.

The song has merit...her vocals alone stir emotions inside me. I feel the song is just as important as any other song in their catalog. The opening is brilliant from carefree child to adulthood, nervous, afraid then finding that one to share your life with.

Thank goodness there was some versatility in their catalog like Passage and these one off songs like Because We Are In Love and Look To Your Dreams.

Maybe Karen and Richard decided to include the song on the album knowing someone might be touched by the sentiment of the song and the lyrics. Maybe they thought it could touch someone much like We’ve Only Just Begun.

It’s a shame some dismiss the song entirely just because of Karen’s outcome and what happen. I enjoy the song for what it is and not the tragedy that became the end result.

The song has merit...her vocals alone stir emotions inside me. I feel the song is just as important as any other song in their catalog. The opening is brilliant from carefree child to adulthood, nervous, afraid then finding that one to share your life with.

Thank goodness there was some versatility in their catalog like Passage and these one off songs like Because We Are In Love and Look To Your Dreams.

You make a great point about how the song, for some, is somehow "tainted" by what we know was the outcome of Karen's failed marriage. While it is definitely syrupy sweet, what wedding song isn't? Whether it was a wise choice to include on the album is a separate question. The song itself, I intend to revisit with your points in mind.

In terms of “show tunes”, I think “Look To Your Dreams” is a better tune than BWAIL.
I agree fully - also "Someday" and "I Need to Be In Love" - and maybe "One More Time" and "Leave Yesterday - every song is a showstopper...

Fortunately, I am not one who was "tainted" by the unforeseen events that unfolded after MIA and BWAIL was released. I, like many, heard it the first time when MIA came out. Granted, given my age at the time, it was not my favorite song on that album by far; however, as I have "matured," I appreciate it now more than ever. I think some of the consternation surrounding BWAIL is its "style." I am not a fan of "show tunes," thus, the style of the song doesn't appeal to me. But as Rick An Ordinary Fool stated, I am so glad in hindsight, that Richard did "venture" into other styles and test other sounds. In short, I can't really find any fault with BWAIL except that it isn't my preferred "style" of music.

I was also there listening to 'MIA' in June of '81. The two songs I played the least were 'BWAIL' and 'Somebody's Been Lyin''. I didn't dislike them. They just kinda bored me. They're both beautifully executed and performed, but they're arranged like something out of the '40s. I also had turned age 19 that July, so I might have been expecting something a bit more 'hip' by 1981. That being said, I LOVED the rest of the album upon its release. I did notice Karen singing much softer upon the first line of 'Those Good Old Dreams' and that was a surprise. I also noticed Richard going over the top production-wise and not mixing Karen as loudly in the mix as he always did on previous albums. I wondered at the time if that was a result of the solo album debacle in some unconscious way because it was really noticeable. And, she didn't get a co-production credit. Also odd. Even with all of that, I still enjoyed the album a lot. It's not my favorite today, but I'm sure glad we have it.

Last edited:
Well, I perused the website azlyrics.
The lyrics as posted there for Because We Are In Love are a bit off,
so, I submitted corrections. Hopefully, the corrections show up within a week.
In any event, I love the lyrical content of the song.

In terms of “show tunes”, I think “Look To Your Dreams” is a better tune than BWAIL.
I also far prefer "LTYD". I'm not sure of the musical terminology but we reach the title refrain at around 45 secs, whereas with BWAIL we have to wait until 2:04....its a very lovely tune and she probably sounds better on this track than anywhere on the whole album, it just takes too long to get going.

Back
Top Bottom