⭐ Official Review [Single]: 3. "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"/"ALL OF MY LIFE" (1217)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • Side B: "ALL OF MY LIFE"

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
I used to have this single a few decades ago. I always liked All Of My Life better than We've Only Just Begun. Don't get me wrong, the latter was a great A side choice but the former stood out for me and I think if dj's flipped it over, it might have increased the sales.
The overdubbed harmonies on the last chorus are ear candy, for sure, but I think only fans would appreciate them. In fact, all of them from Offering offer great chord structure in harmonic listening pleasure.

This was unexpected, but I just got an email from Digital Juice (they supply royalty free products for video, audio, etc.). Their email was announcing new content on January 1, 2023. Anyway, I’m the email they linked to the Carpenters music video for “We’ve Only Just Begun” (from the “Gold” DVD) on YouTube. Yesterday the sent out a similar email, linked to LL Cool J’s “Mama Said Knock You Out”. Apparently some found LL Cool J’s video offensive in the email, so the Carpenters were used as a less offensive email!

I just heard We've Only Just Begun on the radio. This station uses the version from "The Singles 1969-1973."
It was nice to hear that version on the radio. You think you are getting Close To You.
Yes you do - and I wish you did - the album, I think, should start off with CTY - it was their 1st big hit - and it should possibly close with GBTL...

Well I know it's not Karen & Richard, but after all it is Richard's composition on the 45 featured in this thread, yet sung in Italian. Thought I'd post it here again as a little tribute to actress Gina Lollobrigida (singing here), who left us last week...

Very nice…and this should have been a single for Carpenters.

Well I know it's not Karen & Richard, but after all it is Richard's composition on the 45 featured in this thread, yet sung in Italian. Thought I'd post it here again as a little tribute to actress Gina Lollobrigida (singing here), who left us last week...

Beautiful! Also a spot-on recreation of the original.

Very nice…and this should have been a single for Carpenters.
She does "carry the tune" (mostly) and she did fill out a dress nicely...

I agree that "All of My Life" should have been the 2nd single from the "Offering" album...1st should have been "Don't Be Afraid"...a modified "Ticket" should have been 3rd (with the extended, creative classical-style piano intro reserved for the album version only, since it was probably not compatible with Top 40 radio...).

This song has some very haunting and beautiful chord changes. I think had Richard had redone the arrangement and re recorded it during the time that K and R were at their peak performance phase the song would have gotten a surprisingly great response.

She does "carry the tune" (mostly) and she did fill out a dress nicely...

I agree that "All of My Life" should have been the 2nd single from the "Offering" album...1st should have been "Don't Be Afraid"...a modified "Ticket" should have been 3rd (with the extended, creative classical-style piano intro reserved for the album version only, since it was probably not compatible with Top 40 radio...).
All of My Life is one of my favorite selections of the Carpenters.

Back
Top Bottom