• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Single]: 3. "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"/"ALL OF MY LIFE" (1217)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • Side B: "ALL OF MY LIFE"

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

John Adam

For some unknown reason I had to see this video today;

What a great live performance by our beloved Karen. To see her little dance is good for the soul! I especially love the way she stylizes the lyric "comes" at 2:14. Those little nuances... 21 yr old mega-talent!:love:
Perfect in every way!!!

LongAgo

ALL OF MY LIFE has been a favorite album cut since I purchased my first CLOSE TO YOU album. WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN has been my personal anthem for almost 50 years! Karen's vocal performance, Richard's arrangement and the music and lyrics and music of Williams & Nichols are the formula of perfection. I listen to this song every day. It fills my soul, warms my heart and allows me to power through my life. I am grateful.

Carpe diem

^^ It was a hard choice, I love both songs. You might or might not be aware of this great live performance of All Of My Life from "Your Navy Presents". The song begins at 10:23;

David A

ALL OF MY LIFE has been a favorite album cut since I purchased my first CLOSE TO YOU album. WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN has been my personal anthem for almost 50 years! Karen's vocal performance, Richard's arrangement and the music and lyrics and music of Williams & Nichols are the formula of perfection. I listen to this song every day. It fills my soul, warms my heart and allows me to power through my life. I am grateful.
WOJB is one of their "perfect" songs. Magical. It is on every collection I have ever made of Carpenters songs, along with Rainy Days and Mondays. And not surprisingly, the same creative formula on Rainy Days.

Rumbahbah

Perfect in every way!!!
That is a terrific performance - all the live segments from their 1971 BBC show were great, in fact. I love the way she harmonises with the band instead of singing 'before the rising sun' - it just makes the version even more special.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
^^ Interesting! I checked up on who Freddie Allen was and his version of the song was the first to be released, but the first to be recorded was the Paul Williams version. You can hear it here:

Original versions of We've Only Just Begun by Freddie Allen | SecondHandSongs

What’s fascinating about the Williams version is the ending, where the keyboard plays the closing notes that Richard emulated and transposed into a different key for the scene in the TV movie where it switches from their living room to recording the song in the studio. Seamless.

GaryAlan

Hear Ariel Pink and Bonnie “Prince” Billy Cover the Carpenters for a Rejected Advertising Campaign
Rob Arcand // August 4, 2019
In 2018, the advertising geniuses at Snake Accident commissioned TV On The Radio to record their own version of the
1970s Carpenters hit “We’ve Only Just Begun” for a commercial for the asset management company Nuveen.
Earlier in the campaign, the group apparently reached out to a variety of artists including Ariel Pink and Bonnie “Prince” Billy,
who each recorded their own take on the Carpenters classic. Now, the advertising group has made the rejected covers publicly
available on SoundCloud, as Stereogum points out. For his rendition, Ariel Pink stayed fairly true to the original, using twinkling synths and retro drum machines to play up the sincerity of his rendition. Will Oldham took things even further, with thin acoustic guitars and multi-tracked vocals that become a dead match for the ’70s song. Eventually, Oldham’s rendition erupts into a noisy ruckus with strings and electric guitars to rival some of his strongest Palace Music recordings."

Scroll down and hear them here:
Ariel Pink and Bonnie "Prince" Billy Cover the Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun": Listen

David A

Haven't been on his YouTube channel since last year and I missed this little Christmas present. I was so preoccupied with the RPO album.
You could say this strips it down to the essential ingredient, Karen. :wink:

Yes this is amazing, there are a couple of versions of this, if memory serves. And now, for an astonishingly new observation: what a beautiful, supremely talented woman Karen Carpenter was.

Carpe diem

Yes this is amazing, there are a couple of versions of this, if memory serves. And now, for an astonishingly new observation: what a beautiful, supremely talented woman Karen Carpenter was.
Amen!! When I heard that she played electric bass on two of the tracks on the "Offering" album, it just solidified by admiration for her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom