⭐ Official Review [Single]: 7. "SUPERSTAR"/"BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN" (1289-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "SUPERSTAR"

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • Side B: "BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN"

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
^^I ended that search long ago !
It is a fruitless endeavor. Vinyl is what it is.
Actually, one of the reasons I prefer the vinyl recordings is for its inherent imperfections.
Thanks to you, I've decided that I'd like to post the whole Bless the Beasts and Children soundtrack on YouTube. I feel relatively confident because my stylus tracks the groove really well (no sibilance or IGD like before). So I am rendering my video now and will post it on YouTube soon. I sometimes like listening to the album just because it's interesting to hear how many different takes on the melodies for "Bless the Beasts and Children" and "Cotton's Dream" are on there. Also, ever since I got a copy of the "Nadia's Theme" single, I've always liked the instrumental version of "Down the Line" (the B-side of that single).

As I mentioned above, The JAPAN SINGLE BOX version doesn't suffer from the opening "WOW", but it has a good deal of distortion in the loud passages, and is a couple of samples slightly out of phase.

Story Behind the Song: 'Nadia's Theme'/ 'Theme From The Young and the Restless'​

(excerpts):
Barry De Vorzon: ...My second motion picture was a movie called “Bless the Beasts and Children.”
And I was new to it. I was feeling my way along, but Stanley Kramer was a great producer and director and I really wanted to make him happy.
So I wrote this main title called “Bless the Beasts and Children.” I got The Carpenters into Stanley's office.
They recorded it. It became a hit with The Carpenters and I was nominated for an Academy Award. I was thrilled."
BH: By the way, that should be its own episode. What a fantastic song, and we'll just take a snippet on that.
I'm not sure anybody else could have done it justice but Karen.
BarryDV: Oh, she had such a beautiful voice.

Video & Story:

Oh, let's take a listen to a new cover version of Superstar, where we read this--
I feel like our ‘Superstar (Groupie)’ cover combines our love of retro sound,” Cook added. “It stretches over the three generations of music makers involved in making it – all equally passionate about the sounds of the 1970s, aesthetics and the ultra-sheik vibes of an era that really, knew no bounds.
Listen and read here:

Now, after listening to this new cover....well, one realizes (if one hadn't before now)...
how truly incredible the Carpenters version of this song is and remains!

It’s kind of creepy sounding to me. Definitely missing Richard’s arrangement, with Karen’s ultimate vocals. I fell in love with this song all over again when the RPO album was released. A 5.1 audio for that whole project would be amazing. Best of luck to them anyway.

Oh, let's take a listen to a new cover version of Superstar, where we read this--
I feel like our ‘Superstar (Groupie)’ cover combines our love of retro sound,” Cook added. “It stretches over the three generations of music makers involved in making it – all equally passionate about the sounds of the 1970s, aesthetics and the ultra-sheik vibes of an era that really, knew no bounds.
Listen and read here:

Now, after listening to this new cover....well, one realizes (if one hadn't before now)...
how truly incredible the Carpenters version of this song is and remains!
It sounds more reminiscent of the Sonic Youth version from the tribute album to me. Nothing memorable or ground-breaking here, but a nice cover.

Back
Top Bottom