⭐ Official Review [Single]: 8. "HURTING EACH OTHER"/"MAYBE IT'S YOU" (1322-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "HURTING EACH OTHER"

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • Side B: "MAYBE IT'S YOU"

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
The #5 song on my Carpenters list of favorite singles. Richard took a song from the 1960's and restructured it into a 1970's pop classic. Powerful, beautiful, melodic piece that shows Karen and Richard at the top of their form. This was also their 6th consecutive "Top 3" single on the American Hot 100. This could of easily been another #1 single, and it surprises me that it wasn't.

Hi
Often wondered why Hurting each other was never released in the UK. Its such a great song.
some chart info
Hurting each other.
Austalia no 4
Brazil no 3
Canada no 2
Hong kong no 8
Japan no 56
Malaysia no 1.

South Africa. 18

I find it compelling to listen to this 1972 Australian Concert version of
Hurting Each Other contrasted with the 2018 newly orchestrated cut.
Both feature cold-endings, although each ending upon a different lyric.
Also, the 1972 version features lovely Harp at 20 sec, which I much enjoy.
The 2018 version, though, is one that I do like (it's a great recording, regardless).
Here, 1972:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5bAzoeJOQ

The mention of Carpenters' single, 'Hurting Each Other' on Page 58 of Rolling Stone magazine on February 17th, 1972, is rather dull; not befitting of such a wonderful recording. 'The Carpenters also extend their stretch of success with 'Hurting each Other', (A&M 1322). It doesn't take very careful attention to discern passages reminiscent of 'Close to You' and 'Superstar'. That's it....

Priceless footage in the TV-program, Jerry Dunphy Visits,
(why is this entire program not on DVD ?)

I think this is very deserving of an official DVD release too. It’s probably too obscure to appeal to the mainstream buyer but a priceless treasure of them as they were riding high nonetheless.

I'm very pleased to announce that my A&M Composers Series, Vol. 2 disc came in the mail today. I had forgotten why I'd bought it (which song/mix did I not have?) then—aha!— Maybe It’s You

I will try to upload the audio to YouTube some time sooner than later :)

Back
Top Bottom