1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Single]: 9. "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"/"FLAT BAROQUE" (1351-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 11, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"

40 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. Side B: "FLAT BAROQUE"

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. What exactly qualifies a music group/artist as a "singles act"? Is it that they had very well known high charting singles? As of course a major fan I don't think that the album cuts were 'filler' at all and were crafted with the same care that the singles received. Plus the albums sold incredibly well - people bought the LP's even when they already had the singles that would be on it.

And the deliemma with ASFY as a single also applies to This Masquerade; everyone always says that it too should have been a single release, but I fail to see how it would have done well on radio. Both are pure class and aural elegance but on AM radio the languid, steady movement of the music wouldn't have captivated listeners like Rainy Days or Superstar, despite all being spectacular songs. Even if "Masquerade" and ASFY were edited it still wouldn't have made much of a difference.

2. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

I do love Masquerade and A Song for You....two of my favorites. Because of that, I am probably biased in my feelings whether they would have been a hit or not...

I did look up the Billboard year end songs of 1972. The First Time Ever I saw Your Face ended the year at #1 with a radio edit of 4:15.

Jonathan

3. Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know the single version of Flat Baroque is the version that appears on Carpenters: The Complete Singles.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  4. We'll agree to disagree. See posts 18 through 25 in this thread where we detail the differences in the single mix - and I've just re-verified that the single mix IS NOT on THE COMPLETE SINGLES - certainly not on my copy.

The two mixes are very close in sound to a casual listening. It's only detailed listening (such as with headphones) that will reveal the differences, most notable at around 0:18.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. I stand corrected, I have gone back and listened again, and I could tell the difference, thank you Harry.

6. I always thought Flat Baroque sounded like a theme for a PBS cooking show.

7. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

Won't Last a Day would have been a better single instead of IGTTST.... or AS4Y... I was displeased that it was released in 1974 - but imagine it would have gone to number 1 in '72.

Jamesj75 and CraigGA like this.
  8. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

It is interesting that on the 1978 Space Encounters TV Special,
    Richard's keyboard performance for Piano Picker
    is apparently newly recorded--thus, different from other recordings.
    Actually, most of the song appears to be entirely new (vocals, etc.).

Listen, at 34m:

9. adam

adam Active Member

Its Going To Take Some Time. Chart Facts,

Australia. 24
    Canada. 13
    Hong Kong. 4
    Japan. 48
    Malaysia. 1
    USA. 12

10. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I never thought about it, but did Richard due the arrangement for John Davidson's version of Just the Way You Are? Paging @Chris May...

11. John Adam

John Adam "waitin' for the music"

It's Going To Take Some Time

Karen sings this song beautifully, but the song is so MOR. I think this was the one that was trying to tell Karen and Richard you should stay away from, if you want to stay relevant on pop radio stations.

12. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Well, this question is two years old and the questioner isn't a member here anymore, but what the heck.

A "singles act" is basically any act that is mostly famous for its hit singles. (Some singles acts never even release any albums.) Other acts are "album acts," known mostly for their albums, even though they may generate a hit or two in their time. Pink Floyd is a perfect example of an "album act."

There's a third, hybrid category of acts that are famous for both singles AND albums -- the Beatles being a great example of that, having had many hit singles plus albums that are world-famous and still renowned today. Others would be the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, and of course the Carpenters.

Geographer and Jamesj75 like this.
  13. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I always liked this version of Man Smart, Woman Smarter!

14. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

Having a Carole King song on your record at that point was very sexy and, IMHO, they picked a good one. I disagree with Richard and hear why it became a single. I think it’s great.

Ed

Geographer and theninjarabbit like this.
  15. GaryAlan

^^I have never cared for the song. Were it not Karen Carpenter singing it, I would never
    have thought twice about it. Then, again, I am not a Carole King fan, either.
    But, to each his own !

newvillefan likes this.
  16. GaryAlan

Okay, an epiphany, of sorts, this morning.
    I listened to the Song For You LP (twice) this morning.
    It is an all-time favorite album, so listening twice was easy.
    In any event, it occurred to me that my lukewarm response to
    It's Going to Take Some Time, is less about the song and more about its placement on this album.
    It falls between Hurting Each Other and Goodbye To Love. And, that is what struck me.
    Those two songs are power-houses, both in terms of arrangement and in terms of vocal strength.
    The song sandwiched in between--IGTTST--is simply lackluster in comparison !
    If I simply listen to the 45, divorced from the album, IGTTST becomes palatable.

17. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

does anyone else hear someone say " extraordinary " going into the fade?

18. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I like the song, but I think you're right, GaryAlan!
    Had it been placed on Side Two, not only would it have fit in better, it would have made that side stronger.

19. It could be that. It sounds like something Richard said that maybe leaked from a set of headphones.

20. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I'd agree. It would have been better placed on side B away from those two sparkling gems. I would have maybe put Bless The Beasts And Children between them instead, as I’ve always thought it was a really weak side B opener. I would have placed I Won’t Last A Day Without You as the first song on that side.

John Adam likes this.
  21. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I like the order as it is. I like everything about the album.

22. Yep. There's something to be said for original order. It's the way things were originally, and the way they should always be.

There have been examples over the years where albums have been re-released with different running orders for supposedly one reason or another. Those out-of-order albums are always met with purists, perhaps like me, moaning about the order of the tracks being disturbed. One fairly recent example from a decade ago is Herb Alpert's RISE. When Shout Factory redid it, the order was bounced around a bit to accommodate and extra bonus track's inclusion at the end. Rather than have the two so close together, they moved the track earlier in the running order. Just sounds wrong to me.

Thankfully, the Herb Alpert Presents version restored it all to the way it should be.

I can just imagine the histrionics we'd hear if A SONG FOR YOU came out in an altered running order.

CraigGA likes this.
  23. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with the placement of 'It's Going to Take Some Time' on the A Song For You album per se, although I would say that in general I don't feel the running order on the album is very balanced. Side 1 is so singles-heavy that Side 2, while it definitely has its moments, feels noticeably less strong in comparison. And putting 'Piano Picker' next to 'Flat Baroque' in particular really slows down the momentum. The Tan album did a better job of ordering the disparate styles and slotting in the non-Karen vocal tracks.