1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Single]: 9. "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"/"FLAT BAROQUE" (1351-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 11, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"

51 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. Side B: "FLAT BAROQUE"

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. John Tkacik

John Tkacik Active Member

Harry, I remember that you posted a video of "Sacre Bleu" from a 1972 concert in Philadelphia. Do you recall if "It's Going To Take Some Time" was also performed at this concert?

2. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

It was not.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

During his promotional appearances on American TV for ‘Voice of the Heart’, Richard performed a series of delightful and beautiful instrumental versions of Carpenters hits. On one TV show, the interviewer was allowed to request songs. He asked for ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’. Richard seemed to be disappointed and said something like that song was very dull or boring to play. Then he reluctantly performed it. I like Carpenters’ version of ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’ very much, but if it was never played live, we have Richard’s reason, right there.

Kacfan likes this.
  4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the interview below, Richard says something like ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’ is a bit dull to play live. He also talks about Carpenters’ influences, (related to another current thread), and plays some phenomenal instrumental versions of Carpenters classics. I wish that his ‘Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor’ album had included performances like this.

Kacfan likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

...or maybe Richard’s statement isn’t on the above clip...but I think he did say it on CBS Nightwatch.

Kacfan likes this.