⭐ Official Review [Single]: 9. "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"/"FLAT BAROQUE" (1351-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME"

Votes: 58 92.1%
  • Side B: "FLAT BAROQUE"

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
Did they ever perform it’s going to take some time this time in concerts ? The only other top 20 song that has not been performed live is solitaire and that is post 1975 and also Karen wasn’t crazy about it. So given how much they toured up until 1974, and this was a 1972 hit, why didn’t they perform this song live?

Harry, I remember that you posted a video of "Sacre Bleu" from a 1972 concert in Philadelphia. Do you recall if "It's Going To Take Some Time" was also performed at this concert?

Did they ever perform it’s going to take some time this time in concerts ? Given how much they toured up until 1974, and this was a 1972 hit, why didn’t they perform this song live?
During his promotional appearances on American TV for ‘Voice of the Heart’, Richard performed a series of delightful and beautiful instrumental versions of Carpenters hits. On one TV show, the interviewer was allowed to request songs. He asked for ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’. Richard seemed to be disappointed and said something like that song was very dull or boring to play. Then he reluctantly performed it. I like Carpenters’ version of ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’ very much, but if it was never played live, we have Richard’s reason, right there.

Somewhere in the interview below, Richard says something like ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’ is a bit dull to play live. He also talks about Carpenters’ influences, (related to another current thread), and plays some phenomenal instrumental versions of Carpenters classics. I wish that his ‘Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor’ album had included performances like this.

Another song that I have finally grown to appreciate is
It's Going To Take Some Time.
Here is a listenable, actually good, cover version:

Somewhere in the interview below, Richard says something like ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’ is a bit dull to play live. He also talks about Carpenters’ influences, (related to another current thread), and plays some phenomenal instrumental versions of Carpenters classics. I wish that his ‘Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor’ album had included performances like this.

Did the interviewer really say "If you'd just answer the question..." at the end. A little rude, no? Richard was clearly trying to. Odd... Good interview otherwise.

Ed

^^ Yes, that took me aback also. I'm like "whoa, where did that come from?!" It definitely did sound rude, but to his credit, Richard just rolled with it. I'm thinking that the interviewer would like to walk that moment back...

File this under better late than never.
I was listening to the wonderful 1985 Yesterday Once More cd compilation (my pressing BMG)
and for the first time ever I thought...
It's Going To Take Some Time (disc one, track eight) sounded glorious !
I have not listened to this song in a long while, but for today it sure sounded fresh.
So, opinions do change ! I get it, I like the song !

Hurray, Gary! I've often recommended to anyone who expresses dislike for a song is to simply give it another chance. It happens sometimes that opinions can change.

It happened to me several times. One was Scott Grimes album. I'd expressed dislike, and someone suggested another listen. It's still not a favorite, but I can enjoy it.

Another time it was Herb Alpert's hip-hop exploration album called NORTH ON SOUTH STREET. A member urged me to give it another chance, and now I actually like it.

The backing track is the 1989 remix, but Karen's vocal line is different here. I wonder what its provenance is :)

The backing track is the 1989 remix, but Karen's vocal line is different here. I wonder what its provenance is :)

Aside from the bad sound quality I much prefer Karen’s phrasing on this work lead, much more involved.

Back
Top Bottom