Singles 1974-1978 Review + Question

Kristopher

I was reading the info on this site and see that this was released on 8Track.

This was my first Carpenters album on cd.

I love the singles 1974-1978 as it makes a nice solid compilation with most international singles making it to the list. I love this compilation because it includes Jamb. Which was omitted from Yesterday Once More and Singles 69-81. I still am upset I have You (1976 MEXICO + Japan) and This Masquerade (1974 Mexico) was not included. I heard the mentioned singles on the oldies station more then most songs back in 1999. Apparently “This Masquerade” has been a radio staple (Oldies) in Mexico TO THIS DAY. I heard Richard still regrets not issuing this as an American single and limiting it to Mexican radio exclusively.

My aunt had a promo Happy 45 (Same song both sides) as a kid but she said it got hardly any radio play. It’s nice to see a Mexican exclusive appear on here which makes up for the other lost two. Calling occupants is the single that should have brought Carpenters back to #1. Huge hit around the world and it finishes off the album perfectly. Only Yesterday is favorite Carpenters song sung lead vocal by Karen. (Turn Away over all.) The music video to only yesterday is absolutely gorgeous and is more classy than what we see on TV today. Also my favorite music video of all time.

There is nothing wrong with this album and I love it.

Question is.. WHERE can I find this on 8Track? I want this 8Track so badly you have no idea! I was listening to single 69-73 on 8track today for a few hours on endless loop while cleaning.

I Read on this website that it is available on 8-track but I cannot find it anywhere. Is this considered a rarity like Offering or Yesterday Once More UK (CD) ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So your Aunt had a promo 45 of “Happy”? That’s interesting as both it and “Can’t Smile” were considered as nothing more than B-sides or in some countries maybe they became double-A’s, but there’s been no evidence.

Think of it this way Drucillia penny was a B side but had its own respective 45 in South America n Mex. it was a white label and had A&M in black and white. I was 9 and she played it for me. It was the same as the album version. The other side was no different. Although I cannot prove this to other carpenters fans I guess you can assume I’m bluffing or take my word for it but I have no reason to make that up. The only thing I can think of to back that up is the back of decade. But when I was nine years old I saw that 45. White label A&M in black to the left.

(why the heck did Mexico get all these special singles???)

Anyway does anybody know where to find an eight track to this compilation I would even be willing to trade if anybody had one. This was my first compilation by ANY artist. I have tried amazon (they don’t list 8-Tracks) eBay, and Discogs. No luck at all. How rare is it?

What your not realizing is that many people thought that the two songs were just thrown on the 74-78 album to fill up space. It would be interesting to find out if “Happy” or CSWY made the charts in Mexico or Latin America.

I wonder If someone here can help or maybe someone else can do extensive research better then I can. There HAS to be some international A&M database somewhere.

My aunt passed but my uncle MAY have them. Like I said she said It barely got any radio play. I’m heading out there next summer and If He gives it to me (he would he hates Carpenters) I will show everyone on here. (Btw I’m German/Mex 50/50.

What your not realizing is that many people thought that the two songs were just thrown on the 74-78 album to fill up space.

The thing is that it's almost certain that these two songs *were* included on the album to fill up space. Remember, the album was compiled by A&M UK specifically for the UK market (although it also saw release in some other countries later on), which explains why the UK single 'Jambalaya' is on there but the non-UK single 'Goofus' isn't. 'Happy' and 'Can't Smile Without You' were B-sides of two of the bigger UK singles, so were included to fill up the tracklist. I suspect it really was that simple.

I doubt A&M UK knew or cared whether either of these tracks had been released as a promo single in one territory somewhere in the world - if there's not a lot of proof they actually were. As I say, there are a number of non-UK singles ('Goofus', 'Breaking Up is Hard to Do' and 'I Believe You') from this era that also weren't included, and for each of these there's far more evidence that they were an actual single in a major territory than there is for either 'Can't Smile Without You' or 'Happy'.

The thing is that it's almost certain that these two songs *were* included on the album to fill up space. Remember, the album was compiled by A&M UK specifically for the UK market (although it also saw release in some other countries later on), which explains why the UK single 'Jambalaya' is on there but the non-UK single 'Goofus' isn't. 'Happy' and 'Can't Smile Without You' were B-sides of two of the bigger UK singles, so were included to fill up the tracklist. I suspect it really was that simple.

I doubt A&M UK knew or cared whether either of these tracks had been released as a promo single in one territory somewhere in the world - if there's not a lot of proof they actually were. As I say, there are a number of non-UK singles ('Goofus', 'Breaking Up is Hard to Do' and 'I Believe You') from this era that also weren't included, and for each of these there's far more evidence that they were an actual single in a major territory than there is for either 'Can't Smile Without You' or 'Happy'.

I can’t vouch for Can’t Smile Without You. To my understanding that was the only non single from the album. I saw white promo with happy on both sides as a Kid. That’s what I’m going on. Either some rare promo single or a pirated 45 is the answer.

More Mexicans bought 45s over albums due to the harsher economy there back then. This explains why they got more singles then any other country next to Japan.

Back
Top Bottom