Singles 1975-2001

Kristopher

I came up with third “Singles” with VERY unknown foreign singles Americans didn’t know were singles. I’m making an official Booklet with my research as to what country each single was released. If I had you was technically not a Carpenters single. The 45 released ahortly before the release of Lovelines was presented as “Karen Carpenter - If I Had You” and appears on the 3 disc “Complete Singles” (Which is US based only as Jamb. Is omitted despite being a major success as a world wide single.)

2 Bonus tracks are included that were not singles such as “Leave Yesterday Behind” “I’m Still Not Over You.” Both are very commercial sounding and may have charted had they been released as singles. 2 songs omitted are “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do” (Japan) and “Little Alter Boy.”

What do you guys think? I made an Offering expanded with 12 page booklet featuring all outtake photos and disc label with the original brown label for nostalgia. Disc art was copied directly from the record, resized, and text for songs edited. Has liner notes written by me with history about the bonus tracks. Designed for a clear tray with inner case artwork. Lyrics included to EVERY SONG.

TRACKLIST TO SINGLES 1975-2001

1.Tryin to Get the feeling again (1996 [I have 2 45s].)
2.Honolulu City Lights
3.Calling your name again (Have newsletter requesting to call radio stations as next single)
4.I’m Caught Between Goodbye And I love you. (45 has a planet with rings and shown in Decade book.
5.Beechwood
6.Want You Back In my Life again (Fades Into Who do You love Edit)
7.Who You Love (Japan)
8.Goofus
9.The rainbow connection (Japan)
10.Don’t Cry for Me Argentia (Single edit)
11.Make Believe Its Your First Time
12.I Have You (Mexico + Japan) Heard this on oldies station in 1998 while in mexico....still popular
13.Leave Yesterday Behind (Bonus Track)
14.I’m Still not over you. (Bonus Track)
15. When In Fall In Love (Philippines)
16.I Believe You
17.Those Good Old Dreams
18.If I Had You (Karen Carpenter)
19.Your Baby Doesnt Love You Anymore
20.Touch Me when we’re dancing.

This would be the final singles and form a trilogy.

Last edited:
Hello Kristopher,
I would include 'Now' just seeing as it was a UK single if it were my list and I like the song.
Not sure if you have the book by Craig Halstead called Carpenters top 40 hits.I got a copy on Amazon.It is black and white but has picture cover photos,chart positions etc.I find it useful.
Darren.

A nice idea. Interesting compilation!

I think a singles 1975 to 2001 compilation would have to have 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' on it because this was one of Carpenters' biggest hits of that period in some countries. Then we'd finally get a singles edit on CD!

'Please Mr. Postman', although released in 1974, hit Number One at the beginning of 1975 in some areas, so I would like to see that on there. That song was a strong part of 1975 - a soundtrack for the year.

Actually, 1975 was a big year for Carpenters all around, with 'Please Mr. Postman', 'Only Yesterday' and 'Solitaire' all over the radio. 'Solitaire' is my favourite Carpenters single from the period and possibly my favourite of all time, so that would have to be on there.

I'm only going by memory but I think 'Ave Maria' and 'Silent Night' were singles in Japan. 'Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire)' was a single in most territories. 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' was a single somewhere around the end of 1974 and charted in the UK. I notice you haven't included any Christmas songs on your compilation, though.

Mr. Guder also charted in the UK but was a 'B' side, I think, (but that was earlier and doesn't tie in with your 1975 time-frame).

I think the photographer for the 'Decade' book simply flipped the single of 'A Kind of Hush' over and took a picture of the 'B' side, which was 'I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You'. I used to love that song.

I think 'I'm Still Not Over You', by Richard, actually was a single in some areas, but I'm not sure now. I'm fairly certain it was played a lot on the radio in my area. One of the songs from 'Time' was, once they stopped playing 'Something In Your Eyes'.

'Sweet, Sweet Smile' was a Top 10 on the US country charts but I don't particularly like the song, so I'm happy with it not being included.

Interesting that 'I Have You' is known in some countries. It must be rewarding for artists to see one of their little-known songs cropping up as a favourite in some areas.

I think a playlist like this makes for an interesting diversion for big fans like we are, but even though most of these were singles or b-sides somewhere, they were not exactly big enough hits to entice a casual listener. Assuming one could find a record store, flipping through the racks and seeing a comp like this alongside one like 40/40 or GOLD, and the choice would be obvious for a casual listener.

The reason why the singles such as calling occupants is not included was because it is released on the second part of the trilogy and I didn’t want to repeat any singles that have already appeared. All singles from 1974-1978 are omitted for that reason. They had their time in the sun the “previous compilation”

These are singles that were “left out“ or never got a fair chance, Like the singles from voice of the heart or lovelines.

This isn’t designed to include all the singles from 1975 just one song from rising that was released in Mexico Germany and apparently this isn’t designed to include all the single from 1975 just one song from rising that was released in Mexico Germany Japan. The other songs from Horizon were already on the second Compilation (1974-1978) this is the third of the trilogy as if 69-81 doesnt exist.

Caught between goodbye and I love you will be replaced for NOW as a UK single which I realize It was. This making it 1976-2001

The Make Believe It's Your First Time single---are you referring to the Voice of the Heart version or the Karen Carpenter solo version? The VOTH version was released in 1983, but then in 1996 in Japan the solo version was released as a 3-inch CD single in Japan (I'm not aware of a 45 issue) backed with If We Try.

Plus 1996 Ave Maria/Merry Christmas, Daring was released in support of The Christmas Collection. Plus on November 25, 1995 The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)/Winter Wonderland-Silver Bells-White Christmas was released as a 3-inch single in Japan.

If you have noticed the first to “singles “omitted all the Christmas singles. I left them out to make space which is probably the same reason Richard didnt include everything. 8Tracks and Cassettes had to have near equal playing time for sides/programs.

Make believe it’s your first time would be the single from voice of the heart.

Merry Christmas Darling was a smash in 1970, but left out of Singles 69-73. 1974-1978 Left out Santa Clause is coming. 1969-1981 left them out as well.

Perhaps make this a two disc set as an expansion of Singles 74-78 (1974-2001) and create a proper segue or two. Include that and build around it including all christmas singles with the 20 song tracklist I made. I could then include Breaking Up is Hard to Do, but literally half of “Hush”. Will be on the two disc set.

Single Disc or Two disc expansion with unique traits.

1969-1981 left out WAY more singles then I did. Calling Occupants. Kind of hush. Seriously? I own it for the Reprise of For all we know and thats it. Copied to computer and never been played.

Back
Top Bottom