Singles jacket

Song4uman

My daughter bought a Singles 69-73 album today at Half price books.
It is a plain jacket. Not a gatefold. Is this a later issue? I got mine in 1981 and it was gatefold. Maybe a record club album??

I never knew that....I only ever saw it as a gatefold. At least you're not missing a ton of cool stuff in that centerfold, although it IS a nice photo in there. I'd be more bummed not to get the lyrics/essay booklet.

I think this was the case with some other albums too. I recall seeing a reissue of the Now and Then LP that came in a regular non-gatefold sleeve.

On the subject of the essay/booklet for The Singles 1969-1973, did this only come with US copies? I've never seen a UK copy come with it, despite seeing hundreds of copies of the album in secondhand stores over the years.

I think this was the case with some other albums too. I recall seeing a reissue of the Now and Then LP that came in a regular non-gatefold sleeve.

On the subject of the essay/booklet for The Singles 1969-1973, did this only come with US copies? I've never seen a UK copy come with it, despite seeing hundreds of copies of the album in secondhand stores over the years.
Cool. I have never seen s non gatefold Now and Then.

I think that was a common occurrence with later pressings of a lot of albums that originally came with "fancy" jackets (gate folds, tr-folds, die cuts, embossing, booklets, etc.). Several of Elton John's early 70s Uni albums like "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Honky Chateau" which originally came in heavy cardboard gatefold sleeves with booklets were changed to basic jackets when they were reissued by MCA in the 80s. It's a cost saving method once albums become "back catalog" titles.

Back
Top Bottom