Singles Picture Sleeve

Song4uman

Going off of a recent thread on album covers...
Which 45 picture sleeve is your favorite?

Here is a link to the US sleeves
The Carpenters

I think I would have to say mine are (today anyway) Goodbye to Love and Calling Occupants.

I would have to say Santa Claus Is Coming To Town & Honolulu City Lights.

I love "Honolulu City Lights", too! I wish I could find a copy, but all I've seen are plain sleeves.

I love the old-fashioned look of "The Christmas Song" one, and "Please Mr. Postman" is really creative! Aside from those, my favorite is probably "A Kind of Hush (All Over The World)".

wasn't their a picture sleeve for beachwood? I had a copy, but it might have been an international release.

My Number One Picture Sleeve:
Solitaire.....
Sleeves for:
Merry Christmas Darling and Calling Occupants are great, also....

From Rainy Days and Monday's to There's A Kind of Hush they all look great! I think It's a Going To Take Some Time, Yesterday Once More, Santa Claus, Please Mr. Postman, Only Yesterday, and There's A Kind of Hush and Honolulu City Lights are my favorites. My favorite is Please Mr. Postman.

wasn't their a picture sleeve for beachwood? I had a copy, but it might have been an international release.

United States

R-1821421-1491324783-6422.jpeg.jpg

Australia

carpenters-beechwood-45789-am-2.jpg

Netherlands

carpenters-beechwood-45789-am-3.jpg

Japan

carpenters-beechwood-45789-am-6.jpg

I would love to have a copy. of the mia cover that shows the front and back panel as one large poster.

"Superstar" (the dark blue and white one) and the "Rainy Days and Mondays", with the blue on the A side and pink on the b-side, have always stood out to me. "Hurting Each Other", too-- I guess I'm a sucker for that insignia. :D

I'm most likely in the minority here but I kind of dig the "Sing/Druscilla Penny" sleeve. Then again, I have no problems with the song combination, either. :evil:

My votes for “worst” single covers: “Sing,” with the awkward, we’re-coming-over-to-say-hi, pose, but even worse, the why’d-you-even-bother-doing-a-sleeve / text-only, “IWLADWY” and “AYGFLIALS.” Two of the longer titles, too!

Votes for “best” single covers: I like “Rainy Days,” because it has the cool silhouette logo (that I’ve used to make my own pirated t-shirts for myself, not for sale, and only because I couldn’t find any for sale - send me a link if you know of one!), “Superstar” features a more edgy, reversed version of the silhouette logo, which I don’t like as much, but that cover gets points for being the first to feature the classic CarpenterS name logo. “Only Yesterday” has the silhouette logo 2.0, which I also love, AND the CarpenterS name logo. So those three are my faves.

I love "Honolulu City Lights", too! I wish I could find a copy, but all I've seen are plain sleeves.

I love the old-fashioned look of "The Christmas Song" one, and "Please Mr. Postman" is really creative! Aside from those, my favorite is probably "A Kind of Hush (All Over The World)".
I've got a copy of the Honolulu cover, and it turns out that it's a photo of a pocket on a Hawaiian shirt!

My favourite US picture sleeve would definitely be 'For All We Know'. Second would be 'We've Only Just Begun', because it features the same photo as the 'Close To You' album, which I love. My third favourite would be 'Solitaire', (I love the 'Horizon' photo), and my fourth, 'Only Yesterday', because I like the featured silhouette art work with the 'Carpenters' logo. I don't mind the illustration for 'Rainy Days and Mondays' but don't like the sleeves that just feature lettering and no photos.

My favorite A&M USA picture sleeve is for "Don't Cry For Me Argentina/Calling Occupants" from 1980. The first (current-new) song I remembered hearing on the radio was "Honolulu City Lights" (B-side: I Just Fall In Love Again) from 1986, which also had a cool sleeve!

My least favorite A&M USA sleeve was for "Touch Me When We're Dancing" from 1981. But really, many of the sleeves for the singles were much artsier and imaginative than (most) of their album covers!

I thought all the singles’ sleeves with graphics and/or pictures were clever. But I’m now an old man from that generation.

Goodbye To Love. It has my favorite picture of them on it. I have the large fan club poster with that picture too. Then probably Solitaire, and We’ve Only Just Begun; first one, and had wrong b side listed on some sleeves. Novelty!

Only Yesterday. The fact that it was adapted for three different Yesterday Once More compilations helps to confirm its classic status.

My favorite picture sleeves are ‘For All We Know’, ‘Rainy Days And Mondays’, Superstar’, ‘Goodbye To Love’ and ‘Calling Occupants’.

Goodbye To Love. It has my favorite picture of them on it. I have the large fan club poster with that picture too. Then probably Solitaire, and We’ve Only Just Begun; first one, and had wrong b side listed on some sleeves. Novelty!

Another bonus to the ‘Goodbye To Love’ single sleeve (especially in 1972) was finally getting that iconic photo of the duo in a larger version.

Another bonus to the ‘Goodbye To Love’ single sleeve (especially in 1972) was finally getting that iconic photo of the duo in a larger version.

The same photo was used on more than one single release as well as other occasions. It’s probably my favourite photo of all those from their early years.

Billboard Magazine Ad

Billboard%2BPage%2BAd%2Bfor%2BA%2BSong%2BFor%2BYou%2BAlbum%2BJul%2B8%2B1972.png~original.jpg

Japanese EP (September 1972)

img_0.jpeg

Japanese Vinyl (Love Songs release)

Carpenters-A-Song-For-You-Japanese-Album-Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom