Slaughter On Tenth Avenue

Welcome back Stephen! I don’t know about this version. Maybe Chris May could verify it. On another subject how was that Abba Avatar Concert that you had front row seats to! I hope it makes it’s way here eventually.

Welcome back Stephen! I don’t know about this version. Maybe Chris May could verify it. On another subject how was that Abba Avatar Concert that you had front row seats to! I hope it makes it’s way here eventually.
This is an outtake from Music, Music, Music.

Chris, I can’t find this song in the new book. I looked under the songs toward the back where you talk about each song in alphabetical order. Is this song mentioned in the book? I kinda wish there was a listing at the very back of the book where you could search for a song and it will tell you exactly what page it’s on since the book is so big.

Chris, I can’t find this song in the new book. I looked under the songs toward the back where you talk about each song in alphabetical order. Is this song mentioned in the book? I kinda wish there was a listing at the very back of the book where you could search for a song and it will tell you exactly what page it’s on since the book is so big.
I only included official releases, so this one isn’t in there. Sorry!

So this song was considered for MMM but they decided against it for time reasons? It seems to me they had enough material that it could have been a 2 hour special. I never liked that they cut From This Moment On from the tv special.

That’s right—it was included! I spaced on that and thought that was one of the outtakes. Regardless, it was recorded for the MMM special.

I’ve seen parts of the specials on YouTube but will they ever get an official release?

That’s true
We can but hope. He's said before that Karen's solo album would never be released, and it was. And he'd also refused to release some of the track that eventually made it on to As Time Goes By. Hopefully, he'll change his mind one day and we'll get a shiny and polished release, touched by his magic.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, MMM is his favorite. Unfortunately there are too many obstacles related to clearances.
Hi @Chris, I get that is the reason that has been given over the years, but my question is how have other perfumers managed to release theirs in the past? Sonny & Cher, Barbra Streisand, Dolly Parton, are a few who've managed it, even through limited release via TimeLife etc.

Hi @Chris, I get that is the reason that has been given over the years, but my question is how have other perfumers managed to release theirs in the past? Sonny & Cher, Barbra Streisand, Dolly Parton, are a few who've managed it, even through limited release via TimeLife etc.
It’s usually a matter of money, and not so much an issue of permission per se. If an artist or their estate demands a higher compensation than the label, or in this case, Richard is willing to agree to, then no clearance will be granted.

It’s usually a matter of money, and not so much an issue of permission per se.

For some reason the legacy artists these days tend to think their work is exponentially increasing in value, simply because it's getting older and older. In reality the reverse is probably true. In 50 years, the music that was popular in the 20th century (outside of the very biggest hits) will be mostly forgotten, but if somebody wants to use 9 seconds of a random song by a random artist from 1978 in a random video clip, there will probably still be some agent somewhere who will want to charge $100,000 for the privilege.

For some reason the legacy artists these days tend to think their work is exponentially increasing in value, simply because it's getting older and older. In reality the reverse is probably true. In 50 years, the music that was popular in the 20th century (outside of the very biggest hits) will be mostly forgotten, but if somebody wants to use 9 seconds of a random song by a random artist from 1978 in a random video clip, there will probably still be some agent somewhere who will want to charge $100,000 for the privilege.
There’s still high demand for the legacy stuff. On YouTube there’s a channel called “Professor of Rock” and some of his videos he looks at the Top 10 for a certain week, and then he re-ranks the songs based on number of streams, and a lot of times he’ll have one or two songs that never appeared in the Top Ten back in 1961 or 1984 or whatever year it is, appearing in the Top Ten.

And we know what usually ends up happening in cases like this. The producer of the video will determine that they can't make a profit if they have to pay what amounts to extortion for the clearances, so they either cancel the project outright, or they substitute the song(s) in question for some generic "muzak" instead. Either way, the original artist, and their representatives, earn nothing.

The level of greed, and self-importance, of some people in the entertainment industry just blows my mind. They can't seem to grasp the concept of "pricing yourself out of the market", and that "something is always better than nothing".

And we know what usually ends up happening in cases like this. The producer of the video will determine that they can't make a profit if they have to pay what amounts to extortion for the clearances, so they either cancel the project outright, or they substitute the song(s) in question for some generic "muzak" instead. Either way, the original artist, and their representatives, earn nothing.

The level of greed, and self-importance, of some people in the entertainment industry just blows my mind. They can't seem to grasp the concept of "pricing yourself out of the market", and that "something is always better than nothing".
Might I also add that bootlegs will be released as well. I’m not condoning bootlegs but I have bought some Carpenters DVD’s and VCD’s. Something is better than nothing when I know an official release will never be issued. So in turn artists lose out on royalties. I can’t count how many copies of the Christmas Specials I have on VHS and DVD all copies from copies and most are such poor quality. But when you know somethings never going to get released you try and find the best copy available. It’s not right but should I stop being a fan because of it, never!!

Back
Top Bottom