Smokey Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

I don't have my old newsletters in front of me, but I remember reading in the Carpenters' Fan Club newsletter back in about 1986 that Richard Carpenter was producing a pair of songs for Smokey Robinson.

Does anyone know if these songs ever appeared on an album? At the time, I looked for new Smokey Robinson releases, but I never saw anything. I was recently in a store that had a large selection of used vinyl, and I looked at a large number of Smokey Robinson releases, and didn't see Richard Carpenter's name anywhere.

I'm just curious if these songs were ever released...

David

Yep. The album is SMOKE SIGNALS and features not only contributions from Richard Carpenter but Tony Peluso as well. Not to mention a solo performance from Herb Alpert.

Harry
...reading the smoke signals, online...

Now that I'm home, here's a few more details on SMOKE SIGNALS by Smokey Robinson. I have a cut-out LP, but it was released on CD at one point (now out-of-print). Catalog number on the LP is Tamla (Motown) 6156TL.

Eight of the ten songs were co-produced by Tony Peluso, who also plays guitar on a number of tracks.

Herb Alpert appears on "Te Quiero Como Si No Hubiera Un Mañana (I'm Gonna Love You Like There's No Tomorrow)"

Richard Carpenter sings on and arranged the background vocals on "Sleepless Nights" and "Hanging On By A Thread"

Other reconizable guests on the album are Paulinho Da Costa, Dennis Lambert, Robbie Buchanan, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Neil Stubenhaus. In spite of all the talent involved however, the album is dismissed by all as a less-than-stellar effort.

Harry
...checking the facts, online...

I owned SMOKE SIGNALS back then as a vinyl LP and do agree, that it's not worth listening to.

I only bought it, because I was waiting for TIME to be released, but TIME was postponed for two years, if you remember.

Personally, I don't like Smokey Robinson's voice at all.

No offense on Smokey's voice. I dislike just about all of that classic Motown music, and I live there! Some of the very earliest Motown singles, before they got really famous, have something neat. But like anyone, they found their formula, then hammered on it constantly, essentially turning out the same singles year after year. Even they knew what a sham it was, concocting "It's The Same Old Song." A buddy and I rewrote the lyrics a bit for that one:

"It's the same...damn song,
But with different words
so you buy the records..."

Once some of the wiser musicians broke Berry Gordy Jr.'s Gestapo-like control, they started making some far better music (Marvin Gaye's duo of What's Going On and Let's Get It On, and anything Stevie Wonder did after winning his Motown lawsuit, starting with Music Of My Mind, as the two best examples).

Smokey had some decent AC hits in the 80's, but I wouldn't go out of my way to own them. Could be that he smiles too much. :wink:

-= N =-

I found this review at a site called warr.org.
( http://www.warr.org/smokey.html ) Their slogan is: "We listen to the lousy records so you won't have to." :)

warr.org said:
Smoke Signals (Robinson: 1986)
Robinson recruited producers Steve Barri and Tony Peluso, and they bring in a number of familiar 80's studio musicians, including Robbie Buchanan, Paul Jackson, Mike Boddicker, Vinnie Colaiuta, the Tower of Power horns, and yes, Paulinho Da Costa. Herb Alpert also guests on "Te Quiero Como Si No Hubiera Mañana." Robinson contributes about half the material, including "Hold On To Your Love" written with Stevie Wonder (the rest are by various outside writers), and everything sounds completely unoriginal. Even when Robinson's motivated (on the attempted anthem "Be Kind To The Growing Mind") he doesn't have anything new to say. Smokey's low point: by his own account, he was doing so much coke around this time that he could barely leave his house, let alone make enjoyable music. (DBW)

Not a pretty picture.

Harry
...filing away SMOKE SIGNALS, online...

Harry said:
Smokey's low point: by his own account, he was doing so much coke around this time that he could barely leave his house, let alone make enjoyable music. (DBW)

A-ha. THAT explains the constant smile!!

-= N =-

Hey-Since we're on the subject of Motown-has anyone here seen the documentary about the Funk Bros.,"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" making the art house rounds? Terry Goss interviewed Joe Hunter and Jack Ashford last week and had many interesting stories about the label. My respect for Marvin Gaye increases with each year and this movie,or at least the stories these two guys were telling about his genius has me chomping at the bit to see the whole show. Within the Motown formula are sublime differences that keep me interested to this day. These guys were reasons why. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom