Solid Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

A couple of weeks ago I got hold of the Solid Brass CD on eBay.(..and at a quite reasonable price for a change..) As opposed to what I understand is the case with the Jap SRO disc, I was pleasantly surprised with the audio quality of the Solid Brass CD. You can also tell the difference in quality on the original takes by listening to this CD. "Summertime" e.g. sounds absolutely great, while "Flamingo" sounds strangely bad, as on the LP and the other existing CD versions.

- greetings from the north-
Martin

Good find, Martin. My recollection on SOLID BRASS as a CD is as follows. I remember finding it in the racks at a record store and thinking, "Oh great, here's another TJB compilation. Why don't they just release the original albums on CD?" So it must've come just before the actual release of LONELY BULL through WHAT NOW and BEAT here in the US.

I do remember being happy that it had a few "new" tracks: "Slick" "Maltese Melody" and "Summertime" hadn't yet appeared on CD, though eight of the selections on this disc had already appeared on GREATEST HITS VOL. 2, four tracks were duplicated on FOURSIDER, and nine tracks were the same as what appeared on CLASSICS VOLUME 1.

To date, this remains the only commercially available CD with "Summertime" on it.

As for sound quality, I always felt that this one was a notch above some of the others like FOURSIDER, more on a par with the cleaner GREATEST HITS.

Harry
NP: SOLID BRASS, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Luckily, I found a SOLID BRASS CD at my local trade-in store for $9 plus tax last fall. Sound quality is excellent; I also own the vinyl version.
JB

martin said:
As opposed to what I understand is the case with the Jap SRO disc, I was pleasantly surprised with the audio quality of the Solid Brass CD. You can also tell the difference in quality on the original takes by listening to this CD. "Summertime" e.g. sounds absolutely great, while "Flamingo" sounds strangely bad, as on the LP and the other existing CD versions.
Well, for starters, do you have GREATEST HITS VOL 2? I've found that to my ears to sound much better than most of the other compilations it overlaps with, and especially compared with SOLID BRASS. (I last made those comparisons before DEF HITS came out.)

But I haven't yet compared either with the Jap SRO (see separate thread for more on that disc from me).

Yes, I have GH vol 2 as well as all other official Alpert releases on CD except SRO. I don't find that there is any significant difference between GH, GH vol 2 and Solid Brass, they all sound pretty good, especially compared to Definitive Hits. The best TJB mastering on CD in my opinion is the Jap version of Going Places, but we are talking very small margins here. And this preference of mine is simply due to the equalizing done in the mastering process, that gives the Jap Going Places a slightly more "natural" sound than the US mastering.
Do you have Scandinavian ancestors by the way? Your last name sounds kind of Swedish.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

martin said:
Do you have Scandinavian ancestors by the way? Your last name sounds kind of Swedish.
"Kind of" is the key. Yes, "strom" would be a Swedish surname ending, but "Day" would never be Swedish surname beginning.

It's a fake (tho legal) name. I first heard it on Star Trek "The Ultimate Computer", and in doing research on changing my name in the early 80s (from Stefan Tomasz Kazimierz Dobrowolski) I was not able to find any real individual with that surname in any US phone book (of 50 or more that I checked for all around the country), but I did find a Daystrom Furniture company in a couple big cities, and I speculate that it was founded by a Mr Daysomething and a Mr Somethingstrom. And the scriptwriter for that episode grew up around the corner from such a store? :)

So I actually have Polish ancestors on both sides, and tho I have a little English blood back a few generations, I'm not aware of a drop of Swedish blood in me.

"Daystrom" could easily have been an "americanised" version of Dagström, which would have been the Swedish "original". That has happened to a lot of Scandinavian names in the states....but I guess we are drifting away from the subject here...
- greetings from the north-
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom