"SOLITAIRE" single mix on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Does anyone know of the single mix of "Solitaire" anywhere on CD? I know it is not on any of the domestic (US) issues, but do any of the rare, expensive or obsolete international issues contain it?

I don't believe the single 'mix' of "Solitaire" is on any CD release. MOstly because it's not really a 'mix' so much as it is an electronic alteration of the original track. The 45 of "Solitaire" features the dreaded HAECO-CSG processing. That's a process whereby certain parts of the stereo information are intentionally thrown somewhat out-of-phase with the intention of avoiding a total phase cancellation on radio stations that were broadcasting in stereo - but MIGHT have their stereo connections TOTALLY out of phase. A listener on a mono radio would, if this were true, hear the backing material and not the lead singer. So the HAECO-CSG system attempted to remedy that, by making EVERYTHING a bit out of phase so that no phase-cancellations could take place.

The end result is a stereo mix that's, for lack of a better term, uncomfortable to listen to. If you have the 45, put your headphones on and listen to it. Then compare it to the cleaner album version, and you'll hear the difference. On the single, Karen's voice, and the backing instruments as well, seem to have no distinct location on the stereo soundstage. Karen's voice isn't centered like it is on the album, but rather vaguely coming from everywhere.

One other change in the single mix, and this is harder to pinpoint, but I believe that the recording is a little more compressed in terms of dynamic range. The album version starts out so soft that you can barely hear it, where the single has a little more 'oomph' in the quiet parts, thus giving an illusion that Karen's vocals are more powerful on the single. This is even more apparent on the folddown mono version of the single on the promo issue of the 45.

Harry
NP: "Solitaire" single - Carpenters

Thank you, Harry for a very well informed and obviously educated reply. Indeed, the vocals are not centered well at all - what I do like about the single version is the electric guitar licks added before each chorus. And, maybe it's just me, but the bass (perhaps it is an organ somewhere back there) seems less compressed than the album versions I have heard.

Wow, Harry, that explanation is kinda beyond me :o
But at least I know there's something wrong with the way it sounds.
Thanks anywa. :wink:

All I could think about why Richard wouldn't put this single version on cd is that he didn't like its arrangement or computer mix that he said in A&M compendulum interview did not sound as well as he had hexpected.

To me, the album version is very fine, but the single version is different from the former in a few places and fun to listen to finding differences.
The same goes for Bless The Beasts and Children.

I have the mono promo 45 single of the song.

To be honest I always thought the album version was just too dreary starting off, it was too soft & then it seemed to just build.

I much prefer this mono single over the album version. The first time I heard the single mono promo version I was blown away. I literally took a double take. I was so use to hearing this song on the album version that I had it memorized in my mind even before it would play.

I totally recomend picking up this mono promo 45 if you see it, there is something special about it.

The single mix of Solitaire also has a guitar mix during the drum rolls before each chorus and an added organ track on top of the violin portion at the end of the chorus, especially at the end of the last chorus.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom