Solo song LAST ONE SINGIN THE BLUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

I am so blown away by this song. Too be truthful, when I heard the Karen Carpenter solo album, I thought it was very good. I liked the majority of the songs, and then I heard this BONUS song at the end of the album and I was so shocked! Her vocal reading is flawless especially the way she wraps her vocals to the melody making it her own. It makes you second guess why as a singer she was always overlooked...She really did have talent! Some think singing can come natural and in Karen's case it did, but I am sure she had to work at vocal interpretations to add some dimension to songs. Even if she hadn't, she would have still sounded lovely. I also love the way that in this song, she instructs the guys to how the song should go. This shows that she did have a huge hand in creating and developing the song. Just a zinch slower, Lib(Liberty DeVitto, the drummer), and Don't forget the break! were words she said to instruct them. It's neat to hear that. She underplays the song, and I can imagine her singing this little tune in a bar and getting a standing ovation. I wonder if Karen could scat, like Ella Fitzgerald?
I love the word, YEAH that she sings at the end.

cameron
[email protected]
PS. WHAT is everyone's favorite Karen solo song and why?

I would have to say that MAKE BELIEVE IT"S YOUR FIRST TIME is my fave of the released solo songs. It's is both hauntingly beautiful and mesmorizing. Karen's delivery is impeccable! Now for the unreleased solo fave??? SOMETHING'S MISSING...Karen's reading is full of emotion...pain and loss. A real gut -wrencher...

Enjoying Spring in the NW,

Jeff

Same as Jeff , Karen's original 1979 Recording of Make Believe is Outstanding , you wonder why Ramone and Karen did not Follow Through with other tracks , emphaising Karen's Vocals and Straightforward Arrangement / Production :laugh:

Incidentially Richard is Most Interested in Completing Something's Missing from Solo Sessions and this would be Great Song to Hear Fully Realised and Developed :)

Peter...Something's Missing.....

I bought the CD when it first came out - gave a quick listen thru and put it on my shelf. I remember not liking it very much. Then a few days ago I pulled it off my shelf and listened again. And this time it was like I had a new set of ears! I don't like every song, but overall the CD is very good and I enjoyed listening to Karen sing the variety of song styles. I guess if I had to pick my favorite off this album - it's a either "Still Crazy" or "Last One Singing the Blues". Wish Karen would have released the album and I wish she would have recorded another one. Could only have gotten better!

My favorite is "Make believe it's your first time" for the way she delivers it.
It's like hearing her sing live to a small audience and yet it hits directly at you.

I would say "Last one singing the blues" is,along with "if we try",the best cut on the solo album.I think Karen should have done a full blues album.Tracks like "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "Ordinary Fool" demonstrate her naturally bluesy vocals.Karen would've sounded great doing songs like "At Last"(Etta James),"Stormy Monday","Cry Me a River" and "Since I fell For You".Incidentally,If there are any Captain and Tennille fans on the forum,Toni Tennille did a killer version of "Since I Fell For You" on their KEEPING OUR LOVE WARM album(1980-out of print).

As I recall Karen's Favourites were :

If I Had You

If We Try

Make Believe

Had Karen Continued to Record / Perform into 1980's & 1990's , Standards Albums , Both with Richard and Solo , Plus Jazz, Blues , Country Projects would Have Been Released :)

Wonder which Ramone Outtakes Karen Really Liked and would Have Released at Some Point :o

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom