Some Compilation Albums from the 70s

3Favorites

Not sure if there is any interest in these. They were all issued when vinyl was largely the only format. Maybe some of them have already been covered, I don't know. But there's always the delete button, if it's just a rehash.

The Carpenters Collection _ contains 22 selections. It was released by Precision Records, Canada. Says on the cover TV Advertised. Contains songs from Close to You through Passage. Copyright 1978

Ticket To Ride- Released on mfp (music for pleasure with EMI underneath); Mostly songs from Ticket with the two hits form Close to You added. Obviously an import. Only copyright dates I see are 1969, 1970. Catalogue MFP 50431; Has A&M logo on front.

Yesterday Once More - 26 classics - as seen on TV - Double fold open - front and back are gray with Carpenter Logo and an etching of Karen and Richard - released by A&M\EMI - must be an import offered in the USA. - Catalogue SING 1 (TS SING 1)

Yesterday Once More - 27 Songs -Double fold open - Released by A&M - Label is silver - Songs in a different order than the one above - inside photos are the same as above - Back cover has a picture of Karen and Richard, but the back cover is upside down if you flip from front to back. - was released on CD same time - AM SP 6601 - P1985

Box Set The Carpenters Collection Limited Edition _ Released on vinyl - 3 record set - Black box with gold letters - contains songs from Ticket To Ride to Now & Then _ Box lid swings open like a book - inside there 2 gold album size sheets of paper that have some of the songs written in fancy script- then there is a 20 page book with pictures, interview. Some picture are of the Carpenters as children. Plus at least one family portrait. - the records are in green sleeves with the songs written in old. The label is the latter 70s design - Catalogue appears to be CAP 1000, P 1970, 1973

Just to clarify...I'm not trying to sell them. Just telling you they existed at one point in time. In particular the early box set.

They have been mentioned in the past. “The Carpenters Collection” is discussed here The Carpenters Collection (1978)

The pink “Ticket To Ride” is here: Pink Ticket to Ride (MFP UK issue)*

The 26 classics “Yesterday Once More” is from the UK in 1984 and is discussed here:My first post: Yesterday Once More - UK 1984 Compilation

The other “Yesterday Once More” is the very common 1985 version that was the first full album that Richard created remixes for. It was also reissued in 1987 under the title “Classics Vol.2”. It gets discussed here quite a bit.

The black “The Carpenters Collection” has been discussed on here in the past, but it is a rare package. I’ve got a copy in my collection, along with another multi-LP UK collection. questions about Carpenters' albums...

Thank you, Tomswift2002, I was just about to answer just the way you did.

Not sure if there is any interest in these. They were all issued when vinyl was largely the only format. Maybe some of them have already been covered, I don't know. But there's always the delete button, if it's just a rehash.

The Carpenters Collection _ contains 22 selections. It was released by Precision Records, Canada. Says on the cover TV Advertised. Contains songs from Close to You through Passage. Copyright 1978

Ticket To Ride- Released on mfp (music for pleasure with EMI underneath); Mostly songs from Ticket with the two hits form Close to You added. Obviously an import. Only copyright dates I see are 1969, 1970. Catalogue MFP 50431; Has A&M logo on front.

Yesterday Once More - 26 classics - as seen on TV - Double fold open - front and back are gray with Carpenter Logo and an etching of Karen and Richard - released by A&M\EMI - must be an import offered in the USA. - Catalogue SING 1 (TS SING 1)

Yesterday Once More - 27 Songs -Double fold open - Released by A&M - Label is silver - Songs in a different order than the one above - inside photos are the same as above - Back cover has a picture of Karen and Richard, but the back cover is upside down if you flip from front to back. - was released on CD same time - AM SP 6601 - P1985

Box Set The Carpenters Collection Limited Edition _ Released on vinyl - 3 record set - Black box with gold letters - contains songs from Ticket To Ride to Now & Then _ Box lid swings open like a book - inside there 2 gold album size sheets of paper that have some of the songs written in fancy script- then there is a 20 page book with pictures, interview. Some picture are of the Carpenters as children. Plus at least one family portrait. - the records are in green sleeves with the songs written in old. The label is the latter 70s design - Catalogue appears to be CAP 1000, P 1970, 1973
I remember seeing the 'The Carpenters Collection Limited Edition' in a very cool record store in 1979. I didn't even know it existed before that and I purchased it for $15.00 sealed. Not a bad price in retrospect, but it seemed expensive at the time. However, the first thing I noticed is the sound quality just isn't very good. It sounds like it was lifted from another vinyl source and not the master tape. Certain songs that would segue into others originally are just faded out before the next song starts. The presentation is very nice, though, and the booklet is sharp.

Last edited:
I agree, the vinyl is as bad as the UMe pressings. Very poor quality vinyl, pops, and inferior sound. I listened to it 1 time, and shelved it for 30 years.

I don't think I ever listened to it since I had all the albums the songs came from. I used to go to the Mall every Tuesday because that's when the new releases came out. I remember seeing the box set...probably debated if I should buy it...since I already had all the songs but decided to pick it up anyway. Don't remember what it cost but I don't think it was overly expensive. And it was new and sealed. Don't think I ever saw it again for sale after I bought that copy.

What are the Ume pressings?

And are there any CD pressings of Now & Then that don't have the songs on side 2 split up into individual songs? I hate that there is breaks between the songs when they aren't even full songs. I'm pretty sure I recorded my vinyl on to CD so that I could hear it the way it was intended.

(I always took good care of my records so most of them play as if they were new. Only touched the label and the edges. Barely a scratch on any of them.)

@3Favorites In 2017-18 UME reissued all the 1969-1989 studio albums on vinyl (with the exception of the Christmas and Solo albums, and they never did “As Time Goes By”, but it did contain the “Singles 1969-1973” album) in “The Vinyl Collection”(they were also released individually). These were mastered from the 1998 Digital Remasters that were done for the 30th anniversary in 1999, and were issued on CD, and since have been uploaded to iTunes and other sites. Unfortunately, UME picked the cheapest record manufacturer, and many people found that the center spindle wasn’t cut properly, it looked like bits of vinyl from other records that were being cut of the excess vinyl, had ended up on a number of records that were being pressed, so there were sections that skipped, while others were finding that the vinyl was scratched—-the records had the sound quality of vinyl that is found at a pawn shop or garage sale for 25 cents!

Even a year-and-a-half later, when the “Royal Philharmonic Orchestra” was released on LP, UME pulled the same garbage again. I never bought any of the 2017 vinyl, but I ordered the RPO LP, and my first listen of the “virgin” vinyl, after I had removed the shrink wrap, and on the first play it sounded like a record that I would buy at a pawn shop, that has a ton of pops and crackles, maybe a small skip.

Here’s my review from September 2019:

I just got my black vinyl copy in the mail from Amazon.ca. (It’s an American pressing.) I’m listening to Side 1 now. WOW was it ever mastered extremely low. I’ve got my system at -25db whereas vinyl I usually listen between -35 & -40.

But when I opened it, it looked like there were fingerprints from somebody all over Side 1 and smears of something on Side 2. The Center hole was torn and there was a piece of plastic that looks like something after you’ve taken a drill to a piece of plastic. Did they make the hole to small and then ream it with a drill to make it bigger—-but it fits on my turntable. Also on Side 2 it looked like someone had dropped it on a The head of a nail right by the hole.

It’s interesting but Side 1/2’s label is the brown like the CD, but Side 3/4 have a black label. Also on Side 4 the hole is about 1/4 covered with drill reams.

On Side 1, from the Overture to INTBIL it is pretty noisy, and then, except for right at the end, FAWK is noiseless. On YOM, there is a harp right at the end of the Overture, but it sounds like the Overture and Harp end abruptly, it doesn’t sound like a flaw in the vinyl, but in the master, as if instead of having a continuous flow, there’s a groove of silence and then YOM starts, kind of like how on a CD, if you don’t tell the burning program to segue the tracks, you’ll get a few seconds of silence even if the music is suppose to be continuous.

Also the Sleeve for record 1 was torn inside the cover.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the re-issue by UME.

I did buy a vinyl release of the Singles 1969-73 at Target perhaps a year ago. I think it was $20 and possibly made for Target. I think it was suppose to manufactured from Coke bottle plastic or something like that. I've never tried to play it. I thought it might be a collector's item. But a friend of might just shook his head and said "No!" I think there might be colored swirls through the vinyl or plastic or what ever it was.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the re-issue by UME.

I did buy a vinyl release of the Singles 1969-73 at Target perhaps a year ago. I think it was $20 and possibly made for Target. I think it was suppose to manufactured from Coke bottle plastic or something like that. I've never tried to play it. I thought it might be a collector's item. But a friend of might just shook his head and said "No!" I think there might be colored swirls through the vinyl or plastic or what ever it was.
The thing is in 2019 Music on Vinyl released a 2-LP set of “Carpenters Collected” in both regular black and special edition red and from all reports there were zero problems with that release, but they used apparently a different, more expensive plant to make the 180g vinyl (same as UME’s vinyl weight) that the issued both discs on.

Yeah, UME did do a special Coke bottle green of the 69-73 album. But I think I remember people saying they had used the mid-90’s Canadian master that contained the 1985 remix of “Yesterday Once More”. And the quality was the same as their other vinyls.

Back
Top Bottom