Some Jazz Sides By Ex-TJBers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I've picked up some jazz CDs rather cheaply that feature former TJB members. Two of them are by pianist Dave Frishberg (Getting Some Fun Out Of Life, which also features trumpeter Bob Findley and drummer Steve Schaeffer, plus You're A Lucky Guy, which has Nick Ceroli on drums). These are on the Concord label. Frishberg and Ceroli are also on another Concord release by Bill Berry, called Shortcake. This CD also has Bill Watrous on a few songs. I had the LP to this, but the CD has a bonus track with Watrous & Ceroli. Great stuff!

There's a guy on eBay who has a bunch of Concord stuff that he put up cheap. I got the Berry CD for $5.99, still sealed. He has a Shorty Rogers & Bud Shank CD that looks interesting. I may bid on that later on.

Capt. Bacardi
...ready to pop in a DVD offline...

I've gota few of Dave Frishberg#s albums too. I was lucky enough to seem him a couple of times at Pizza on the Park in London but I don't think he's come over here for several years now. Is he still touring?

Stephen Vakil said:
I've gota few of Dave Frishberg#s albums too. I was lucky enough to seem him a couple of times at Pizza on the Park in London but I don't think he's come over here for several years now. Is he still touring?

I'm really not sure if he's touring right now, but I did hear him on some NPR radio show, where he and some woman singer (I forget who) were doing some shows featuring the songs of Rogers & Hammerstein and Rogers & Hart. They were talking about the different styles of songs that Richard Rogers did with other lyricists. That show was on over a week ago.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herb Alpert - Passion Dance Tour '97 (finally on CD-R!)

Captain-The singer was Rebecca Kilgore and Dave and Rebecca have made at least one album together. For everyone else-the radio show is Fresh Air with Terry Gross and entire shows are archived at freshair.npr.org. When you type in Frishberg you will be rewarded with a number of choices going back to 1991. IMHO,not since Johhny Mercer has something so witty sounded so musically interesting as Dave Frishberg's canon. Anyone that can make you feel nostalgic about "Sweet Kentucky Ham",happy about "My Attorney Bernie" and bring tears with a song like "Matty(Christy Matthewson,N.Y.Giants 1900-1916)" is someone to be reckoned with. As recently as March was in NY for a few weeks at the Algonquin. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom