Songs & singers I'd like to see on the next Sergio album

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe once all this had died down sergio will snap out of it and record an album of real music with real guest stars that he picks out himself.

maybe an album centered on a few brazilian standards, that he hasn't done before.

or possibly sergio does jobim? (all of carlos' songs that he hasn't recorded already.) or e. lobo. and maybe mix them in with a mccartney/lennon tune or two. (how bout lady madonna?) and a burt bacharach too (knowing when to leave? alfie? peace in our time?) if he wants to be a little more current he could stick in an elvis costello tune too (ask him to contibute something that he thinks is fitting.) (and just for fun, how bout a new version of "music to watch girls by.") also, a few standards (like maybe "summer wind" or "something's gotta give.") he could have his wife sing most of them, and maybe have karen, janis & lani back for one song each. who's ever around. maybe herb could do a solo or two. with some promotion maybe it could satisfy the faithful that bought "timeless" only to have their hopes dashed when they got home and stuck it in the cd player.

c'mon sergio! make it a double. with lots and lots of piano!

well i can dream can't i?
(please have sergio contact me.)

walty

Walter: that sounds like a good idea (minus Madonna, IMHO). I'd like Sergio to take some clean takes on previously unrecorded Jobim songs, and maybe some of the usual Beatles'. Having Lani back would be fantastic!

(minus Madonna, IMHO).

He's talking about the Beatles song, not the singer.

If I could have my Sergio wish, it'd be all of the above plus some more Joni Mitchell tunes. Sergio's version "Chelsea Morning" is one of my top 20 favorites by any artist.

how could i forget joni. yep sergio was just scratchin' the surface with her. how bout night in the city? dreamland? the jungle line? hejira? that song about the midway? ....with lani singing (my heart my heart!)

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
And perhaps John and George will make guest apparances on the Beatle tracks.....:)

Having John & George making guest appearances sounds GREAT except for one problem & that is John & George have both PASSED ON......................

If you want a guest appearance by a Beatle, then why not Paul McCartney for crying out loud.After all, Paul is STILL ALIVE. :laugh:

i think A & M guy was trying to make a funny

but paul isn't a bad idea
maybe he's fond of sergio for his wonderful takes on daytripper, norwegian wood, with a little help from my friends, and especially fool on the hill

that's why i suggested lady madonna. or how bout with a little luck?

"Having John & George making guest appearances sounds GREAT except for one problem & that is John & George have both PASSED ON...................... "

That never stopped Natalie Cole!

Since this thread seems to have turned into a "Fantasy CD" thread, I'll put in my 2 cents.

Beatle Remakes: "Something" (with Bonnie Bowden) like the live version from 1973. "Golden Slumbers". "When I'm 64", it is almost appropriate.

Elton John Remakes: "Someone saved my life tonight". "Tiny Dancer" (with Lani Hall)

Joni Mitchell: "Song to a Seagull" (with Lani Hall)

Brasil Remakes: "Zanzibar", "Canção do America (Unencounter)" by Milton Nascimento (with Gracinha), "San Vicente" by Milton Nascimento(with Gracinha)

It would be also interesting to see how Sergio would handle a Tori Amos song...

I want to hear Sergio collaborate with two single-name divas - Basia & Sade.

My fantasy: Sergio adds his touch to "Smooth Operater" and "Sweetest Taboo" with vocals by Lani, Gracinha & Sade. In English And/or Portugese versions.

The result: CD players exploding from the overwhelming hotness.

it sounds nice but sergios talent was taking pop songs and giving them his unique bossa nova spin. sade's songs are already there

[i said:
First...[/i] A&Mguyfromwayback]And perhaps John and George will make guest apparances on the Beatle tracks.....:)

[i said:
Then...[/i] Court-knee" (missing the point of Guy's joke)]Having John & George making guest appearances sounds GREAT except for one problem & that is John & George have both PASSED ON...

Court-knee... The smiley :))) should indicate that A&M Guy From Wayback was making a sarcastic suggestion, given the thread's current direction...

--Mr Bill

I'd like to see Sergio take a crack at "Across The Universe" and "Get Back".

--Mr Mike

I LOVE the idea of an artist dedicating an entire album to covers of one other artist. Ella did this definitively with most of the great American songbooks. Although the moment may have passed, I'd love entire collections of Sergio covering Joni M. or Bacharach, but this is just my loungey dream and the format I hear them in (in my fervent imagination) is firmly Brasil 66/ pre-Bell Brasil 77.
The Brasil 66 take on Chelsea morning has such wild energy and is a truly original take. It's addictive and almost unbridled. God, those were the days. Further along in the Joni catalogue, at least one third of the Court and Spark album is ripe for Sergio and almost all of Hissing of Summer Lawns. Certain selections, such as Edith and the Kingpin, already come complete with a sort of stately Bossa nod. As for Bacharach, Sergio, take your pick.....

nice joni selections. gee she's great. funny i can hear lani singing all those selections that you mentioned. how bout turbulent indigo? or slouching towards bethlehem to be born?

i thought of another general one that would be perfect. the more i see you.

I love "The More I See You"...one of my favorite standards, and one that surprisingly isn't performed that often. I'd add "Begin the Beguine" with the note that Gal Costa recorded a version of it (in English) that is pracically a love letter to the "classic Brasil '66 ballad" sound.

Another great song - very different !- that I'd love to hear Sergio's take on is Shalimar's "Take That 2 the Bank".

"Açaí" is the original version of "Keep This Heart" from Sergio's "Arara" album.

"Festa do Interior" is the portuguese version (original) of "Carnival" from Sergio's '82 self-titled album with "Never Gonna Let You Go".

"London, London" is a total masterpiece. Written by Caetano Veloso who also did "Lost in the Paradise" from the Stillness album.

I think a cover of the rolling stone's "i cant get no satisfaction" would be delightful sergio-ised with a gorgeous lani hall crescendo!

juliet66 said:
I think a cover of the rolling stone's "i cant get no satisfaction" would be delightful sergio-ised with a gorgeous lani hall crescendo!

Yeah!, and me on the guitar, too :laugh:

Devo's version of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" will always be the definitive version to my mind -- even though theirs is a cover version of the Rolling Bones original...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom