Songs That Would Sound Good, Tijuana Brass Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plucky87

I picked out a few old and some modern songs that would sound neat done by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, pretty unique selection but it would be interesting..hehe. :laugh: . Post some of your ideas!

1. Sarah Mclachlan - I Will Remember You
2. Sheryl Crow- All I Wanna Do
3. Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup
4. Dido - Thank You
5. Jose Feliciano - Feliz Navidad
6. Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
7. The Pipkins - Gimmie Dat Ding
8. Alison Krauss - Baby,Now That I've Found You
9. Devo - Whip It
10. Lobo - Stoney
11. George Harrison - I Got My Mind Set On You
12. Charlotte's Web Soundtrack - How Very Special Are We

"Baby,Now That I've Found You" was also done by the Foundations -- about thirty years before Alison Krauss; although Alison does sing it like an angle.

Don't laugh, but I can actually hear these TJB style in my head:

Nirvana--"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (with the chorus a "call and response" between trumpet and trombone)

Greenday--"Basket Case" (sort of a good, bouncy song they'd have had fun with)

I'm trying to think of some faster songs in alternative rock that would work when slowed down to a ballad--think of "I'll Be Back" as done by the Beatles vs. the TJB.

Rudy said:
I'm trying to think of some faster songs in alternative rock that would work when slowed down to a ballad--think of "I'll Be Back" as done by the Beatles vs. the TJB.

Dead Milkmen's "Punk Rock Girl" would work with the Trumpet and Marimba trading off phrases...

Some other punkers:
Buzzcocks "I Believe"
Go-Go's "Vacation"
The 70's TJB would do a great version of Police' "Spirit's In The Material World"

--Mr B

"TjB Reunion", anybody?? I think these songs would sound good:

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER

KILLING ME SOFTLY

CLOSE TO YOU

ALONE AGAIN, NATURALLY

STAGGER LEE

CC RIDER

CECILIA

and maybe...

RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD :?: ...There is that neat Horn

Crescendo at the end of B.J. Thomas' version...

Dave

...sure to think of more...

If Mr. Alpert ever does a new album I would like to hear him play a lot more covers. He writes well, but he does such a good job on others music. i.e. "Walk Don't Run" "THird Man THeme" "Wade in the Water", and "The Work Song." If he needs a producer for his next project, he can call me. :badteeth: Later.............Jay

Rudy said:
Don't laugh, but I can actually hear these TJB style in my head:
Nirvana--"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (with the chorus a "call and response" between trumpet and trombone)

I too had a Nirvana song in mind: "Heart Shaped Box"- as an instumental. If you speed it up it is eerily similar to "The Work Song".

Dave said:
"TjB Reunion", anybody?? I think these songs would sound good:

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER

KILLING ME SOFTLY

CLOSE TO YOU

ALONE AGAIN, NATURALLY

STAGGER LEE

CC RIDER

CECILIA

and maybe...

RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD :?: ...There is that neat Horn

Crescendo at the end of B.J. Thomas' version...

Dave

...sure to think of more...

Dave-
Herb Did "Alone Again Naturally" on YSTSB, and he BUTCHERED it beyond recognition, IMHO. :laugh:

Well, maybe he could "Do It Again"!! :tongue: ...Hey--THAT'S ONE Right There...!!!! :nut:

Dave

I think this is an interesting topic, and has caused me to do some thinking.

Here's my conclusion...

I agree that Herb has done some great covers of many songs. Many of those songs were good songs to begin with, and Herb took those good songs and gave them the "Herb Alpert treatment," so to speak.

But, I think that even Herb won't turn a lousy song to begin with into a good song. And, I can think of a couple examples here and there where Herb covered a song or two that just didn't make it, even after he worked on it - IMO, of course.

Some of my favorite TJB songs came from the pen of Sol Lake. Originals which helped to create the sound and style. Songs written especially for Herb Alpert and the TJB.

I'm going to continue to think about this topic, but right now I am drawing a blank, so to speak, in thinking of recent songs that would be good covers...

Steven J. Gross said:
Herb should do some Steely Dan stuff.

Well, I have to disagree with this. NOBODY should do Steely Dan tunes other than Steely Dan. But then, I've never been a big fan of other artists doing covers of already-popular tunes. Just like I don't care for the remakes of movies.

But one song does come to mind for me that Herb could do. That's "Down On The Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I play my horn to this song, and it could work as a modern-TJB thing.

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:

Wasn't there a site that did this a few months back, maybe as a MIDI file? This song could work as a reggae. This would've been good for his Passion Dance band.

Capt. Bacardi

Herb "butchered" ALONE AGAIN? How? That's a pretty strong statement. I never had any problem with Herb's version of AA. In fact, I enjoy mimicking it on my own trumpet. I never can understand the strong negatives that are sometimes used here to describe tunes by an artist, who even on his worst day, is worth the listening. I personally don't think Herb is capable of 'butchering' a song. I think some of his arrangements are absolute standouts, but none are bad.

David,
defending a legend........

ANY performer can butcher anything at any given time. And, if you asked them and they felt like being candid, they would be able to tell you about the "butchering" they have done. I've done it, everyone I know who performs on an instrument has done it...I've heard it done often by many...

We are human beings - it happens. Everyone screws up here and there. Herb Alpert is no exception.

When someone says "butchered" I am fairly certain they are expressing their OPINION; their reaction. One man's feast is another man's famine, as the old proverb goes. Regardless of my admiration for Herb, I do NOT like everything he has ever done. I just don't have time right now to make a list. I may not say he "butchered" something. But I may express my dislike for it using some other choice of words.

I like Herb Alpert a lot. I do not like everything he has recorded. I like more than I don't like. There are some things I will never listen to, even though someone else may like them. Some favorites of others are the "pits" for me...

I never said we have to like everything Herb Alpert does but "butchered beyond recognition" is a pretty harsh description of someone we are here to show appreciation for. Especially without any explanation of what makes that arrangement so horrible. Just my opinion. I don't like everything Herb has done equally. I have my favorites and some things I don't play very often. But butchered beyond recognition is a description I don't see giving Herb. There's nothing radically different about that arrangement when compared to many of his other arrangements. If someone prefers the original vocal version, fine. But what was Steven expecting from Herb's arrangement that he failed on so miserably to deserve that comment?

Also regarding Nirvana- Herb did a guest appearance on an CD by a group called "Sweet 75". The members included the "3rd" guy from Nirvana- whose name escapes me- Not Cobain- Not Grohl- the other guy!
I have a copy here someplace!

Any terminology would be better than a blatant, unsubstantiated pontification of an artist's work. It was not a comment backed by a reasonable elaboration, it was an insult, unfounded in my opinion.

David,
asking for respect for the Man.....

thetijuanataxi said:
Any terminology would be better than a blatant, unsubstantiated pontification of an artist's work. It was not a comment backed by a reasonable elaboration, it was an insult, unfounded in my opinion.

David,
asking for respect for the Man.....

You are overreacting, This is not a site to "mindlessly" honor Herb or anyone. Folks here comment about poor audio and performing qualities all the time. I'm probably a bigger fan than even you!

Here I come again...

I don't have any problem with Steven's posts.

I don't mean to take sides here, and don't really see myself doing that - I'm just stating MY opinions... :|

But, in a larger sense, not directed to anyone in particular please, I hope this website isn't just about the unbridled "worship" of anyone. I have never thought of it exactly as a "fan club." Maybe it is, and I haven't been aware of that intention. I feel free to make comments about the subject matter, and I wish my comments to be constructive and polite. But, I have never concerned myself about everything I say as needing to be in "awe" or "reverence" of anyone, or feeling the need to "walk in eggs, as if I were in the presence of God, etc."

IMO, the website is about A&M and related matters, and Herb Alpert is, of course a key player in that context. And, I am sure that there is a commonality of interest and admiration for A&M and related areas of interest. I don't think there would be anyone visiting this site who did not fundamentally like Herb Alpert and his music, as well a many of the other A&M artists. I am sure that everyone here is a fan.

But, even in a family of brothers and sisters, sometimes someone gets on someone else's case...

I do not see it as some kind of "shrine" to glorify or sanctify Herb Alpert or anyone else.

Shall I now don the asbestos, fire-proof suit??? :laugh:

Seems to me that it's kinda hard to butcher an already crappy song...

Capt. Bacardi
...hater of whiny, self-serving sensitive tunes... :rolleyes:

Captain Bacardi said:
Seems to me that it's kinda hard to butcher an already crappy song...

Capt. Bacardi
...hater of whiny, self-serving sensitive tunes... :rolleyes:

Let me expalin my comment a litttle futher- I really think it is a very fine- emotional song, and when I used "the B word", I just felt that Herb took a song with very strong lyrics and sentiment, and "blew" (pardon my pun) it.
He too may have considered it a throw away cut, it was a B side to either "Fox Hunt"-a great song or "Last Tango".
I never intended to hurt Herb or Tijuana Taxi Daves' feelings in any way.

Likewise, my comments are not meant to be an attack on Steven. I merely dislike seeing Herb beeing slammed without anything to substantiate the slam. While not my favorite TJB tune, I do like Herb's version of the song. He is a happy melody man. So I'm sure he liked the tune and didn't cut the song to adhere to the mood of the lyrics. Much like he did on "Fire And Rain", he lifted it and gave it a TJB feel. And after all, this thread is all about Herb doing that. I don't worship Herb or any other musician, but I do have a deep appreciation, respect and fondness for him. I think he is right on the mark 99.9% of the time in his judgement of musical endeavors. And again, I would not have reacted as I did if Steven had just said that AA wasn't one of his favorite Herb tunes. But I felt the words he used were an uneccessary slam to Herb. He is entitled to his opinions, but unneccessary slamming of Herb is something I find offensive. Now, on a personal level, again I am not attacking Steven. I would have responded the same way no matter who posted it. I think we could all take a lesson from Harry Neyhart. I've noticed that he can state his opinions good or bad on an issue with the utmost finesse and in a way that is not offensive or insulting. So I apologize to those who think I'm overreacting as it is not my intention to offend anyone either. I just think that when it comes to the artists we love, we ought to state what is we like or don't like about their work rather than make statements that seem insulting. Again, Steven, My comments are not meant to attack you.

David,
getting off his soapbox now :)...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom