Songs That Would Sound Good, Tijuana Brass Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
LPJim said:
This also works in reverse. For example, I think the Brasil '66 version of "Norwegian Wood" is an improvement over the Beatles' original. Same for Sandpipers' "Things We Said Today."
JB
And certainly Sergio and B66's Fool On The Hill!

What about Celebration of the Sunrise( written by Oscar Neves & Sebastiao Neto)?Or Zanzibar by Edu Lobo? Maybe Tiro Cruzado by Nelson Angelo?

I just saw a Travelodge commercial, and the soundtrack opened with a razzy trumpet followed by I'M JUST A LOVE MACHINE...would be perfect for Herb and the Brass...

Dan

Love Is All Around was written by Sonny Curtis (of Buddy Holly and the Crickets), not Paul Williams. It does sound like a Paul Williams type song though. Sonny Curtis also wrote I Fought The Law.

I think any time you make an instrumental out of a song that has a strong lyric, you're going to tick some people off. For that reason, I believe that both AA and F&R work best as vocals. Herb's versions are pretty good, but not his best records by any means.

Now, how about "St. Thomas", the Sonny Rollins tune. Would have been good for the BMB as well.

Paul Williams didn't write Love Is All Around. Sonny Curtis did. That Mary Tyler Moore fan site is incorrect. Paul Williams is great and has written many brilliant songs, but this isn't one of them.
Here's a link to BMI, the music publishing website that enforces song copyrights for songwriters (which is a fascinating site by the way). It lists Sonny Curtis as the composer. If Paul Williams had anything to do with it, he would have been listed as well.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp...18213&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

bob knack said:
I think any time you make an instrumental out of a song that has a strong lyric, you're going to tick some people off. For that reason, I believe that both AA and F&R work best as vocals. Herb's versions are pretty good, but not his best records by any means.

Now, how about "St. Thomas", the Sonny Rollins tune. Would have been good for the BMB as well.

Yep, that's sort of what I was trying to get at a while ago in this thread. The strong vocal sort of becomes the "defining" sound or version, and other versions sometimes fall flat, IMO...

I always thought "The Very Thought of You" with Herb on vocals and trumpet should have been included on Midnight Sun.....

Stephen

I'm thinking "old" material here...

"Happy Together" is a definite TJB wannabe tune for me!! :D

Jon

Many of current A&M act Vanessa Carlton's songs, like "1000 Miles" would sound great given the "TJB Treatment"

--Mr Bill

How about a remake of "Lonely Bull"-maybe a fraction more uptempo (not disco), but close to the original- TWEAKED a tad. :)
(less corny effects, perhaps) :goofygrin:

Not meaning to digress, but I seem to remember that the live performance version of the Lonely Bull was in fact just a little more up-tempo, and maybe even a little bit "rock-ish?" A little less "smooth and flowing" than the album.

Steven J. Gross said:
Was that on the Japanese 2nd wind? I have not heard it.

There's a couple of TV shows that the Brass were on, as well as the '69 concert where "Lonely Bull" was done with more bite to it than the original version. I like it better on the live versions, frankly. The Second Wind version was more funk - and in a different key.

Capt. Bacardi

Stephen Vakil said:
I always thought "The Very Thought of You" with Herb on vocals and trumpet should have been included on Midnight Sun.....

Stephen

It would make a nice duet between Herb and Lani...

Dan

I think Bobby Goldsboro's "Watching Scotty Grow" has some good trumpet on it...almost as if Herb is playing there...!

Think a good "horn ensemble" would make it a good "TjB Children's Music" piece...No??

Dave

Did Herb ever do a rendition of (excuse the spelling) "My Cheri Amore" (Stevie Wonder)?
How about "Photographs and Memories" (Jim Croce) and even "Over the Rainbow."

Hmm .... "Here You Come Again" ... that old Dolly Parton song would sound good if covered by TJB.
Maybe Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" as well.
JB

Here's a couple more...

Remember Phil Bodner and the Brass Ring from back in the sixties? They had a little bit of a TJB sound at times.

Two songs they did that I think would have been good TJB songs were "The Flight of the Phoenix" and "The Dusadvantages of You" ( the cigarette commercial song).

A good version of "Ring of Fire" was done by Chet Baker & the Mariachi Brass. On their first LP, if I remember right.

LPJim said:
Hmm .... "Here You Come Again" ... that old Dolly Parton song would sound good if covered by TJB!
JB

If you can suggest Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again", (Which, by the way, would be GOOD!) I would like to propose as the B-Side: Nicolette Larson's "Lotta Love"...!! :agree: :?:

I was thinking "Misty Roses"!!! --Just think of the COVER, a possible ALBUM would have: Herb & TjB surrounded by bouquets and bushes of ROSES!!! Sort of a take on their own The Beat Of The Brass cover...!! :thumbsup:

Dave

...And watch those THORNS...!! :twitchy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom