Songs That You Really Like...But That You Don't (or very rarely) Actively Play...

JOv2

Give us examples of songs that you like a great deal yet, rarely if ever feel the need to seek out and play.

Most of these might fall into the "Use and Abuse of Music by Mass Media" category; nevertheless, if you have an example please also include the backstory.

There are many examples of music I love but was abused and overused by mass media such as The various production music libraries that were only available to the media outlets until they started releasing them publicly around the late 2000s but I still keep them because they are now rarely heard but I have to be in the right mood to hear them the production music libraries I refer to are The KPM libraries from England and domestically the Network production music which was originally based in San Diego until Killer tracks took them over and in turn was itself absorbed by Universal I still enjoy them but I don't listen to them all the time

I can't think of any individual tunes. The ones burned out on radio are ones I can barely stomach listening to at home.

But, here is a more extended example. There are some artists I rarely listen to, like the TJB--I've played those records since I was three years old, so it's safe to say that I know every note on those records, and for each time I played them from that age, the music has rattled around inside my gourd several times over. To me it's more like revisiting an old friend when I give them a spin--I still think they're great, but don't have an ongoing to desire to listen to them much. It is often a case where I'll be listening to something else that brings back a memory of the TJB, and I'll find I have to listen to a certain song or album to scratch that itch. It's like having something reliable to fall back on--I always know the music will be there and will always sound the same as I remember it. Like a musical reset, of sorts. 👍

Yep, this is tough to figure out just which of the many "burned" records I might pick. Rudy's TJB example is a good one. Those songs, and the order in which they appear are stuck in my head and I can play any of those classic albums without even a record player.

It's the same with the early Mendes albums, the early Carpenters albums, etc. As a result, my favorite way to enjoy those tracks is to plop on a compilation. There, the orders are at least jumbled and surprises can happen. I've mentioned in the past that certain compilations were really programmed well. In the Carpenters world there's a set called SWEET MEMORY that was compiled in Japan. The songs are well-jumbled, yet somehow flow, making listening to them somewhat a treat.

For a real A&M treat, I love the way that American Airlines programmed a bunch of A&M tracks on their tapes that played as you flew across the country. This particular three-hour tape that I mimicked with my own CD compilation was a joy to listen to on a long ride here in Florida. I had all of the songs, so I wrote them out in WMA form to a CD-R and played it in the car. These days it could be done with a thumb drive or chip.

1648396276261.png

I liked the way this one flowed, with Beatles tunes often back-to-back, and Bacharach tunes gathered together at times. It was a great way to revisit some of these well-worn tracks.

There were a few more of the American tapes, but for some reason, this one stands out as the best of the bunch.

Also out there are a number of songs that are frowned upon. These are songs that were so popular in their day that they were played over and over and simply wore out their welcome. I refer to such 70s gems as "You Light Up My Life" or "Seasons In The Sun" or the like. They were good enough songs and records to be propelled up the charts, but got played so often that very few really want to hear them anymore. Sometimes, with enough distance, these old tunes can sound good when they get dusted off and played again. One that I used to hate back in the day was "Me And Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul. Today, it sounds wonderful to me.

I actually haven't watched broadcast TV since Barney Miller went off the air in 1982; similarly, for all intents and purposes I also don't watch movies; so for me it's more a function of my own listening habits through the years combined with what I pick up elsewhere by chance (restaurants, given shops, record stores when I used to visit those (that was a weekly date -- every SUN nite) and, since about 2002, the internet).

I'd immediately throw out the following as pieces I really like but never need to ever hear again:

Rhapsody in Blue -- Any and all versions
Take Five -- Any and all versions

Kind Of Blue -- Miles version
I Want to Hold Your Hand -- Beatles version
She Loves You -- Beatles version
A Taste Of Honey -- TjB version

Having Sirius Radio "60s gold" playing in the car today I heard a series that was interesting. It was the top 50 movie themes of the decade as voted on by the audience. There were many Mancini and Bacharach tunes like "Days of Wine and Roses," "Alfie," "Exodus (theme by Ernest Gold)" and "Baby Elephant Walk." Unfortunately someone voted for "Yellow Submarine." This stuck out for me like a sore thumb among other treasures because it's monotonous
and still played ad nauseum.

JB

There are lots of songs that I need to be "in the right mood" to listen to. I'm like most of the previous commenters when it comes to the TJB -- the most well-worn albums tend to not get played. These days I'll pull out the less-played ones, like The Brass Are Comin' or Summertime.

There is one "category" of music I used to like a lot but hardly ever listen to now -- "disco" (dance) music. My prime music discovery years straddled the disco era, so the tunes of the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, and others are right there in my all time favorites list but I never pull them out anymore. Once in a while, "Stayin' Alive" or "Night Fever" will come up on the ipod shuffle or the radio or something, and I'll crank it up and revel in just how good those records were. Anyone who puts down that whole genre is just wrong; there are a lot of really good records that have that disco beat. Of course there was a lot of garbage too, the trick is knowing what the good stuff was.

Lately I've been in a "Seals and Crofts" phase, don't ask me why. I hadn't listened to any of their albums in years but the other day I just ran down most of their Warner Bros. catalog all in a row. There's some good music there.

Before that I was in an "America" phase. Their first three albums, I almost never get tired of, but I went through the rest of their Warner Bros. years and enjoyed the heck out of most of it, except the Holiday album (their first with George Martin producing) which is just a little too "sweet" for my taste, in a few spots at least.

Anyone who puts down that whole genre is just wrong; there are a lot of really good records that have that disco beat. Of course there was a lot of garbage too, the trick is knowing what the good stuff was.
That's true with any music. I just think it's sad that some snobs out there still reject certain kinds of music they categorically hate, and expect the rest of us to hate it along with them.

Unfortunately someone voted for "Yellow Submarine."
They should have limited the selections to music specifically written for a film -- as opposed to previously recorded music used in a film. The Beatles wrote no music for Yellow Submarine (and in fact had virtually nothing to do with the film). I recall watching The Graduate in college and later learning that none of the S&G music was written for the film. According to the story I read back in the '80s, both of the songs Simon wrote for the film were rejected by the director in favour of using previously recorded music.

Having Sirius Radio "60s gold" playing in the car today I heard a series that was interesting. It was the top 50 movie themes of the decade as voted on by the audience. There were many Mancini and Bacharach tunes like "Days of Wine and Roses," "Alfie," "Exodus (theme by Ernest Gold)" and "Baby Elephant Walk." Unfortunately someone voted for "Yellow Submarine." This stuck out for me like a sore thumb among other treasures because it's monotonous
and still played ad nauseum.

JB
I am not a fan of Yellow Submarine nor for most Beatles anyway. The only album I ever bought of theirs was Let It Be and that was as a cutout and I no longer have it. The favorite of "Beatles" for me was George Harrison's Something. That one I can listen to each time but when others come on the radio I will usually change the station. I was given a copy of "White Album" on cd but I am afraid to open it, knowing what the original cover was.

As far as my own pics for songs I like but can do without listening to, that is tough. I have a lot of cd's that I don't play as often as the others but none that I want to really do without.

« September » by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Love it but rarely play it.
That one is frustrating since despite it being one of their biggest hits and best-known songs, it doesn't appear on an album. So if I'm spinning anything from the Columbia era, it ends up getting overlooked unless I remember to tack it onto an album as an additional track in the queue. It's one of two tracks released in 1978 (the other was from the terrible Sgt. Pepper's film, "Got to Get You into my Life"), so it doesn't really fit on All 'n' All or I Am. And stylistically it is halfway between those two albums--it still has some of the former's earthiness but more of the polish from the latter.

Worlds apart, but similar in titles, is "December: 1963 (Oh! What A Night)" by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. It was a hit back in 1976 but that wasn't the end of it. It got some kind of remix in the 80s or 90s and spent a bunch of time back on the charts again. It just seemed like it would never go away. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Worlds apart, but similar in titles, is "December: 1963 (Oh! What A Night)" by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. It was a hit back in 1976 but that wasn't the end of it. It got some kind of remix in the 80s or 90s and spent a bunch of time back on the charts again. It just seemed like it would never go away. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.
I got tired of that one when it came out strong and was overplayed. Then the remixed and longer version appeared and I got tired of that one as well.
I change the station or lower the volume when it comes on. Same thing for EWF September. It is still overplayed.

I only really got burned out on classic rock and Motown, two things that our area really pounds into our heads ad nauseum. I haven't actually bothered to tune in a local radio station in many years--probably the 90s, if I had to guess. (I was with XM until Sirius bought it out and completely ruined all the programming with their dumbed-down ideas.) It was also the overexposure from certain stations being played in offices I was at, which made me hate those overexposed songs even more. No local soul/funk/R&B station ever played classics, so I'd never hear a lot of my older favorites other than at home.

But "never wanting to hear it again" is the opposite of what this thread is about anyway, which is music we like that we rarely ever play.

That one is frustrating since despite it being one of their biggest hits and best-known songs, it doesn't appear on an album. So if I'm spinning anything from the Columbia era, it ends up getting overlooked unless I remember to tack it onto an album as an additional track in the queue. It's one of two tracks released in 1978 (the other was from the terrible Sgt. Pepper's film, "Got to Get You into my Life"), so it doesn't really fit on All 'n' All or I Am. And stylistically it is halfway between those two albums--it still has some of the former's earthiness but more of the polish from the latter.
Those two songs are actually my two EWF favorites. A close third would be Sing A Song, followed by Shining Star.

Those two songs are actually my two EWF favorites. A close third would be Sing A Song, followed by Shining Star.
I go through phases of not listening to EWF, but then when I'm in that mood, I'm playing pretty much everything. Just yesterday I spun a few tracks from Powerlight and Earth, Wind & Fire (the Warner debut album). That's one group I never tire of, probably due to the group and Maurice White being a big influence on my musical life. (It pretty much wraps up many of my favorites in one package--funk, soul, jazz, Brazilian, horns...it's all good.)

And while the albums are good, a spin of the old favorite Best of EW&F Vol. 1 is often welcome since it covers those two non-album tracks from 1978, along with the best of the hits. The only oddity on that one is "Love Music," another non-album track that hasn't appeared anywhere else that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom