• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Sony PS-2251

Stevenj

This thing! I acquired 5-7 years ago and the tonearm was a mess, but I did some tinkering last week and finding the gimbal screws were way too tight and mounting a Denon 103r and it's giving me chills in the room.

The PS-2251 is quite a score! Does it have the original Sony arm?

It was up there with the Technics SP10 at the time, wasn't it?

The PS-2251 is quite a score! Does it have the original Sony arm?

It was up there with the Technics SP10 at the time, wasn't it?
It has me music server taking a rest. I tinkered with the tonearm and put a denon dl103 on it and it is better than anything I've ever had. Yes original Sony PUA113 arm.
Spinning this gem now:

RealAmbassadorsLPCover.jpg

It has me music server taking a rest.
I like when that happens. Some weeks, I get caught up in playing nothing but records. But if I've had a rough day physically or mentally, it's straight to the digital playback so I can sit in the recliner and pick among what I want to play.

I've seen a few of the DL103s get retipped by Joseph Long, and some change it up a bit with a different stylus tip and cantilever. If my ART7 gets worn down, I will probably send it off for a retip, vs. doing the Audio-Technica exchange program as they don't offer as much as a credit for the replacement.

I'm actually considering sending him my VN5MR stylus to get the cantilever straightened and the stylus replaced, as they are unobtainium now. I see new old stock replcements for anywhere from $600 to $999, and I paid $50 for my last replacement when Shure was blowing them out. If he can retip and fix the VN5MR for about half that, I'd be happy, as I'd pay more for a newer cartridge that I may not even like.

I do have an older setup here but no longer use it. I'll always keep the arm (Grace 707-II) but not sure if the tables are worth keeping. One was an LP12 knockoff from the UK (Walker CJ55) and the other a Denon DP-1000. Kiddo's getting my old "beater" turntable in the meantime. 😁

I like when that happens. Some weeks, I get caught up in playing nothing but records. But if I've had a rough day physically or mentally, it's straight to the digital playback so I can sit in the recliner and pick among what I want to play.

I've seen a few of the DL103s get retipped by Joseph Long, and some change it up a bit with a different stylus tip and cantilever. If my ART7 gets worn down, I will probably send it off for a retip, vs. doing the Audio-Technica exchange program as they don't offer as much as a credit for the replacement.

I'm actually considering sending him my VN5MR stylus to get the cantilever straightened and the stylus replaced, as they are unobtainium now. I see new old stock replcements for anywhere from $600 to $999, and I paid $50 for my last replacement when Shure was blowing them out. If he can retip and fix the VN5MR for about half that, I'd be happy, as I'd pay more for a newer cartridge that I may not even like.

I do have an older setup here but no longer use it. I'll always keep the arm (Grace 707-II) but not sure if the tables are worth keeping. One was an LP12 knockoff from the UK (Walker CJ55) and the other a Denon DP-1000. Kiddo's getting my old "beater" turntable in the meantime. 😁
I have a retipped 103s arriving in a few days, nude square shank or ogura something, from Groovetickler on Ebay. I wan't to try another brand, but my SUT is for the 103 and I didn't want to spend more on another SUT

I have a retipped 103s arriving in a few days, nude square shank or ogura something, from Groovetickler on Ebay. I wan't to try another brand, but my SUT is for the 103 and I didn't want to spend more on another SUT
Funny, that's the same retipper I'm going to use (Joseph Long aka Groovetickler) for my VN5MR--he's able to straighten the beryllium foil cantilever on the VM5MR; or if not, he has a couple other ideas for me to get the Shure retipped.

He posted this on Instagram recently--perhaps it's yours? Your description sounded familiar...

I have a Lundahl SUT that I can rewire for three different ratios. I had an issue prior to getting this turntable. The Audio Technica ART7 has a very low output--0.12mV. Running it through my one phono stage (Phonomena II+), it sounded...OK. But since it was such a low output, there was too much amplifier noise. With my CJ phono stage, I bought the Lundahl SUT as a kit (had to wire it and put it in the enclosure), and no matter which way I oriented it, or whichever interconnects I used, it was different variations of hum and noise. So I gave up on both.

But I wanted to try the ART7 again. After trading in the other turdable for the 1210G, I got the SUT out, rewired it for the middle ratio (1:10), and tried it. Dead silent. And I've been using it primarily ever since.

I somehow traded up to a Dynavector XX2 Mk. II many years ago (I'd swapped my DV17D3 directly with their US rep) but comparing the two, the XX2 seems kind of dull. I'm going to ship it out to Groovetickler before I sell it, to see how much it's worn and give it a clean bill of health. I once connected it to the phono stage without the SUT and it actually sounded better, although too low in volume. It does seem to wake up with a higher load impedance.

I still have the Nagaoka MP500 (moving iron). I asked him what a Grado would sound like if he retipped it with a lightweight cantilever and line contact stylus, and he has done this in the past. It retains the Grado's mids, but adds and cleans up detail at the top end. My old Grado body has a dead channel, but I might find a donor cart on eBay or elsewhere and send it his way...

Reminds me...VinylRob is having the monthly SMAC meet this weekend. If things are favorable I may just go.

Funny, that's the same retipper I'm going to use (Joseph Long aka Groovetickler) for my VN5MR--he's able to straighten the beryllium foil cantilever on the VM5MR; or if not, he has a couple other ideas for me to get the Shure retipped.

He posted this on Instagram recently--perhaps it's yours? Your description sounded familiar...

:goodie:cant wait cause today 180g Lamb Lies Down on Broadway arrived.

:goodie:cant wait cause today 180g Lamb Lies Down on Broadway arrived.
Score! 👍 Was it the Atlantic 75 reissue? I got the 45 RPM Selling England by the Pound a month or two ago and it's probably the best-sounding version I've heard of that title.

I still have an Atco (?) version of Lamb I got many decades ago which I didn't play too often...can't find it along with several other titles I've determined are missing.

Score! 👍 Was it the Atlantic 75 reissue? I got the 45 RPM Selling England by the Pound a month or two ago and it's probably the best-sounding version I've heard of that title.

I still have an Atco (?) version of Lamb I got many decades ago which I didn't play too often...can't find it along with several other titles I've determined are missing.
I was wondering if it would have the ATCO label, but it is all artsy. I still have the ATCO but not a very good copy.

I was wondering if it would have the ATCO label, but it is all artsy.
Charisma label? My Selling England has the Charisma label. Yet the Phil titles both have the Atlantic labels (with his printing, vs. typesetting).

Charisma label? My Selling England has the Charisma label. Yet the Phil titles both have the Atlantic labels (with his printing, vs. typesetting).
Yes, it's read "The Famous Charisma Label" but also on the cover, Atlantic and Rhino, claims to be Half speed mastered, but I don't hear it. Going to open the 7 record 45 rpm Eva Cassidy box set at spin it with the new dl103s

Back
Top Bottom