Speakers

My beloved Vandy's were sold a few years ago and replaced with these

Bryston Mini-T

Not really "mini" as they are 3 ways, 8" woofer and weigh in about 45lbs each without stands.
Versatile speaker that is not very large.
Nice setup there! I see the two Mac components. 👍👍

Yeah, I'm torn on my Vandys. I picked up a pair of 2CEs locally a few years ago locally. A "distressed" sale--they were listed and I responded within minutes. When I got there, it appeared as though the owner and his family were packing up the house quickly and moving out of state. (I smelled "foreclosure.") $300 for them was a steal. Later, someone on AudioKarma sent me a PM noticing that I needed the stands for them, and offered them to me for the price of shipping.

So I'm all into these for only like $350, and it's one of those deals I don't think I'll see again. And that's why I'm reluctant to move them along. If I do keep them, I want to redo the socks and refinish the end caps. My pair was made late in the run of 2CEs, and have the newer tweeters from the 2CE Signature.

I went into them knowing they weren't my "end game." No complaints though--they served me well. I moved up to these from a pair of the Dahlquist DQM-9s. Some of the newer Vandys were appealing (maybe a 3A Signature, or the Quatro or Treo), as was the ProAc Response D48R, although the latter was about $11K new and just a little outside my budget (he says with understatement 😁). I even considered a Von Schweikert pair that had come up about a month ago (VR35 Export).

But I've been wanting to get a Martin Logan system for decades, going back to the CLS-II (late 80s), I've had searches in place on HiFi Shark and US Audio Mart for years, watching specifically for the Summit, Summit X or Spire models. And I saw a pair of Spires come up two months ago. Oddly the price increased by 10%. A week and a half ago on a Saturday, I noticed the price had dropped below the original asking price to a low figure I hadn't seen on these.

It took me only a day to decide on it, and despite them being 600 miles away, I had to get them. The pair is several years old, but they look and play brand new. It only took me 33 years to get to this point. 😉 And yes, there's a lot of other components headed out the door in the next few months, which is how I manage to stay ahead of this pursuit.

Last edited:
Got these in on a long-term loan. Primarily they'll be on my desktop, but I'm looking around to set up some temporary stands so I can give them a try in my main system. KEF LS50s. They are very heavy for their size, but the cabinets are so inert that you can barely feel any vibrations through them.

IMG_20200504_132533-02.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom