Spectrum Demo Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

350hunny

Hi guys. Did anybody watch NHK's TV special 'Carpenters Forever' aired in Japan a few months ago?
Richard played a Spectrum demo tape done in 1967 in the show and five titles are shown on the package as follows.
1: Turn Away
2:Lately
3:All Of My Life
4:Searching Mrs.Robinson(?)
5:I Think Myself a C****(?)

I could read the first three titles but it was hard for me to catch all the correct spelling of 4 and 5 so I faked some part of them because Richard was holding the tape case as he was talking about how this demo was made.

You could hear only All Of My life on this show but it would be interesting to try listening to those other titles.

If any of you did watch this show and can spell the unknown titles correctly, could you let us know?

Fascinating,:cool: Shame Richard only played one demo track on this special.

Would especially love to hear 1967 version of Turn Away with Spectrum Sound as this is a favourite from Offering / Ticket To Ride :)

Ideally these tracks will appear on Next Box Set or Early Rarities Album
with other unissued material :D

Was All of My Life similar to 1969 Released Version ?

Peter ...Looking Forward.....

There won't be another boxed set,trust me!But,it would be great to here some of those spectrum tracks from 1967.One of those,"You'll Love Me" is on ESSENTIAL COLLECTION,and it's a great track! The only avenue for releasing those early spectrum cuts would have been on the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION,but obviously,that opportunity has passed.

No More Releases of Rare and Unissued Material ..... :shock:

Richard Intended Initially to Issue More Rarities and Vault Material on 2002/2003 Box Set , then Decided to Leave this Material for Later Releases , Especially After Universal's Debacle with As Time Goes By :oops:

1991's From The Top was Stated as Final Release , More Tracks were Released Both on CD & Video /DVD , Followed by ATGB.
Richard is Concentrating on Solo Projects for 2003 , Some Further Carpenters and Karen Ramone Tracks are Likely to be Issued 2004 / 2005 :)

Much will Depend on Future Direction of Universal Music and Any Potential Mergers / Sales in 2003 , Further Changes in Policies, Senior Executives and Catalog Releases :o

Peter

Actually.LOVELINES was the final release in 1989.FROM THE TOP was a compilation,not a new release.And,no new material has been issued since LOVELINES-except certain tracks that were lost or duet tracks that had copyright problems.(this would include "Trying to get the feeling',"From this moment on" and major portions of AS TIME GOES BY,which wasn't released in the US,anyway.)Richard found "Trying to get the feeling" just 4 weeks after FROM THE TOP was released in 1991.If he had found it maybe 3 months earlier,it would have been included on that set.Of course,Karen's solo album was released in 1996,but a good portion of that album was already included on LOVELINES in 1989,so technically that wasn't a totally new release.Several cuts on AS TIME GOES BY are just variations or rerecordings of existing songs.(like the "Superstar/Rainy Days" medley).

Hi 350hunny,

Have you seen "Close To You" video (TV-TOKYO 2002) lately? I saw it today. My tape is clearer than 'Carpenters Forever'. I read:
Music - Richard
Words - John

No overdub
No echo

6 members

The titles of songs are clearer than ones in 'Forever'. But I cannot read all of them. You may read them on the tape of "Close To You". Try it, please.

Sakura

Sakura, I don't think I have a copy of that show. Sorry.
Now that you brought it up here again, I'm going to add Richard's comment from the other show.

Richard:I's say Karen and I, we didn't have any trouble with walking out
and performing on stage.
First and foremost we're recording people.
So recording came quite naturally to us and at a young age,
Karen was 3 years and a half years my junior when we started making
demos.
She should have been 16or 17. I was around 19 or 20.
With a particular song, I would come up with a particular arrangement.
I could take more time than some other arrangement.
It still most of the time was relatively easy for us to record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom