Spin-Clean vinyl washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeargo

Anyone have any experience with a vinyl cleaning system called Spin-Clean Record Washer System? I came across the product on eBay ( ) and it looks affordable. I know there must be competing products out there, and I want a system that will do a good job of cleaning the vinyl without damaging it, but price is my main consideration and I'm not about to drop hundreds of dollars on a high-end product. I'm starting from scratch (no pun intended) and would appreciate any recommendations.

Mike A.

Stereophile has it on the 2013 Recommended Components list as such:

Spin Clean Record Washing System: $79.95 $$$

Package includes a plastic vat, two brushes, two rollers, a 4-oz bottle of concentrated cleaning fluid, and washable drying cloths. Three sets of slots allow cleaning of 7", 10", and 12" records. Two velvet-like brushes clean both sides of a record simultaneously as the user rotates the record within the appropriate slot. Though "not nearly as convenient or as efficacious as a vacuum cleaning system," the Spin Clean Record Washing System "got the job done," said Mikey. Spin Clean claims a single vat of fluid can clean up to 50 records, but MF suggests refreshing the vat more often. A 16-oz bottle of fluid costs $20; a package of five drying cloths costs $10. (Vol.33 No.2)

What I don't like is that you can't vacuum that dirty water off of the record. But, it supposedly still does a good job anyway, and getting that crud out of the grooves is always a good thing. Things like the Discwasher brush just push the dirt around in a circle, pulling off some surface dust but leaving the real grime down there where it can't reach.

Audio Advisor has a page of all the record cleaning systems including the Spin Clean:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=132

I'm badly in need of an upgrade, but I've been using the first or second version of the Record Doctor that they sell, which is still $199 after all these years. You have to manually turn the record (the more expensive machines have motors that do this for you), but it does vacuum a lot of the crud out and dries the grooves efficiently. Some records, though, are inherently noisy (due to bad vinyl, or abuse from a former owner), so vacuum cleaning still isn't a cure-all. But I run everything I buy through the Record Doc before it hits my "good" turntable.

When things get better here, I'm definitely getting the VPI HW-16.5. Probably a used one, although they're hard to find--they're usually snapped up quickly.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Rudy. Appreciate the link, too. It sounds as though the Spin-Clean is a decent enough device for the job, but what you say about the Record Doctor makes me wonder if I should opt to spend the extra to get a much better machine. Vacuuming would seem to be an important part of the job. Of course what I really need in addition to a cleaner is a better turntable and cartridge than the old Technics clunker I've been using for nearly 30 years . . .

The Record Doc is twice the price, so you'd have to decide if that extra step is worth it or not. Removing the dirt via a wet method (either Spin Clean or Record Doctor) is much better on your stylus, removing the grit that helps wear it down. The vacuum just provides an extra step beyond drying with a cloth, or air drying.

I know some have rinsed their records under tap water, but having seen firsthand what is actually coming out of our taps here, there is no way. (I can boil water in a stock pot and come back to find white blotches on the side of it from all the salt and chemicals in it.) A lot of the cleaning fluids use distilled water at the very least, where some go beyond and are "ultra purified" using filtering.

I'm looking at turntable upgrades next years, so I'm sort of in the same boat. :wink: But I'll be taking a step up, for certain. If I stick with a vintage turntable, it'll probably be a Linn Sondek that I can mount my Grace tonearm on. Otherwise, the VPI Traveler or Pro-Ject 2 Xpression are top on my list, or maybe something from SOTA or Clearaudio. I haven't been out to listen to these yet.

The Pro-Ject Essential is quite a bargain--very barebones, but does all the basics nicely. Lists for $299, complete with a mounted cartridge, and comes in three colors. :D The cartridge won't be anything special, but still may be better than what you're using now.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Essential-Turntable-in-Black?sc=2&category=46

There is a model with USB output for $100 more.

Appreciate the info, Rudy. Guess I better start saving dough for some upgrades. :laugh:
It never ends. :laugh: I did some work on the digital side of my system this year, trying an external DAC (Cambridge Audio Azur) for the DV-45A, along with a tube buffer stage (Musical Fidelity X10-D). But with my turntable on the sidelines waiting for a stylus replacement, I'm going through withdrawals. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom