Spotlight: Lani Hall - LO MEJOR DE LANI (SP-37018)

How Would You Rate This Compilation?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 5 41.7%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Compilation

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Lani Hall
LO MEJOR DE LANI

AyM SP-37018

sp37018.jpg

Released 1986

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/CD

Songs:
  • 1. Te Quiero Así - Lani Hall y Jose Jose (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:39
    2. Es Facil Amar (Albert Hammond/L. Sayer/O. Gomez) - 4:01
    3. Corazón Encadenado - Lani Hall y Camilo Sesto (Camilo Blanes/Sergio Fachelli) - 3:59
    4. Brasil '66 Medley [Agua De Beber (Jobim/De Moraes/Gimbel), Mas Que Nada (Jorge Ben), O Pato (J. D'Silva), Samba De Una Nota (Jobim/Mendonca), Pulga Española (Julius Wechter), Reza (E. Lobo/R. Guerra/N. Gimbel), El Tonto De La Colina (Lennon/McCartney), Coqueta (Lennon/McCartney)] - 5:57
    5. Un Amor Así - Lani Hall y Jose Feliciano (Albert Hammond/Sergio Fachelli) - 3:13
    6. Lo Que Siento Hoy Por Tí - Lani Hall y Herb Alpert (Allee Willis/David Laskey/Luis Angel) - 4:04
    7. Para Vivir Así (Camilo Blanes/Sergio Fachelli) - 4:00
    8. Si Tú Fueras Capaz - Lani Hall y Camilo Sesto (Camilo Blanes/Sergio Fachelli) - 3:29
    9. Estaré Enamorada? (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:13
    10. Te Seguiré - Lani Hall y Juan Carlos Calderon (Juan Carlos Calderon) - 3:28

Art Grafico: Melanie Nissen
Representación Artistica: MM Entertainment Company

Capt. Bacardi

This was the second Latin Lani album I bought (after Es Facil Amar) and it's a pretty good one, covering the hits that she had in the Latin market. The one downfall for me was that there are no songs from A Brazileira, so I only gave this 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

LO MEJOR DE LANI is Lani Hall’s Latin greatest hits album, with nine of her best tracks from the three Latin albums, plus one additional track – “Lo Que Siento Hoy Por Ti.” This is actually “Come What May” with Spanish lyrics written by Luis Angel. The basic track is from the BLUSH sessions with a new vocal track in Spanish by Lani and Herb Alpert.

I found a CD of this title back in the early '90s, but the sonics on it are somewhat questionable. I prefer all of these songs in their vinyl form as they have a nice analog warmth to them. The CD sounds like it was heavily noise-reduced.

All the tracks here are good, but since "Lo Que Siento Hoy Por Ti" is sort of new, I'd vote for that as a favorite track.

Harry

This is a really great compillation. I think the best song from this LP/CD is Para Vivir Asi.

How can you find information about singles that were hits in Latin America and where they got on the charts? Are there records of which of these songs were her biggest hits....?

I found a CD of this title back in the early '90s, but the sonics on it are somewhat questionable. I prefer all of these songs in their vinyl form as they have a nice analog warmth to them. The CD sounds like it was heavily noise-reduced.

I really need to get those three albums. They are nearly impossible to find here in our area, but I can watch Discogs, MusicStack and GEMM to see what turns up.

How can you find information about singles that were hits in Latin America and where they got on the charts? Are there records of which of these songs were her biggest hits....?

Bill, I don't know if any of that information is online. Surely Billboard charted Latin stuff back in the '80s, but it would be for the US, and I can't find anything on their site for historical info. Perhaps Google Books for those back issues, but again it would be for the US. I'm sure Lani's Latin albums must have charted higher in Latin America. Searching for that kind of stuff usually leads to a dead end for me with the language barrier of knowing very little Spanish.

Harry

There's a Japanese version of this album currently on eBay:
$_57.JPG

My copy is quite a bit different. That one was issued in Japan with their standard fonts, etc. on the disc. Mine has a different back with the same artwork as the front skewed to the left and the track list in in a column on the right. It's got a copyright of 1990 by PolyGram Discos with a very large A&M RECORDS logo on it.

The disc has a black silhouette of the cover photo on a bright orange background. It's got the typical Polygram look with the silvering all the way to the center hole. I'm guessing that PolyGram reissued this in Latin markets once they took control of the A&M catalog.

I notice that the Japanese disc lists ADD for the Spars code. I wonder if it sounds any better than the one I have.

Harry

OK, an update to the information on this thread, at least as far as my comments go. I just located a genuine Japanese copy of this CD, D32Y3145, and can tell you that it sounds ever-so-much better than that wonky Polygram disc I've had for years.

For some reason, that Polygram CD always sounded like there was some sort of noise reduction or compression causing a pumping sound that just wasn't natural. I've always resorted to the vinyl versions for a better, truer sound.

The D32Y version from Japan sounds much more natural, like clean vinyl with no surface noise - the way I always expected CDs to sound. The jewel-case has a smooth-sided top and bottom, unlike the more common rippled surfaces. The logo is an AyM DISCOS version, and the back track-listing looks more like a proper design, instead of the piece-work look of the Polygram insert that looks like a bad Photoshop job.

Anyway, I'm really happy to have this good-sounding version in my collection, finally.

I will need to get this album since it's a Best of her Spanish work very much like collectibles was sort of a compilation of her English work it would be an excellent addition to my collection

Back
Top Bottom