Spotlight: UNDER A SPANISH MOON (SP-5209)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Fragile

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Rumba Flamenca

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Lamento

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Pachanga

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Ancient Source

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I Need You

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • My Song

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Zamba (Para La Niña Yolanda)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hidden Angel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've just added the denim-covered promo version of this album to Discogs:

Herb Alpert - Under A Spanish Moon

R-12569632-1537801749-3603.jpeg.jpg

I have this promotional CD, but I traded off my original copy. Now I'm wondering which one would be worth more.

Given how few promo CDs exist compared to standard CDs, I'd hang onto that promo. :wink:

I do wish this would come out on HAP. I've got the vinyl, but it's not in super shape.

Is there a reason why certain albums (this one, Colors, Passion Dance, Wild Romance, Just You and Me and a couple more I think) haven’t shown up on HAP?
Licensing issues maybe, or Herb doesn’t like ‘em?

Is there a reason why certain albums (this one, Colors, Passion Dance, Wild Romance, Just You and Me and a couple more I think) haven’t shown up on HAP?
Licensing issues maybe, or Herb doesn’t like ‘em?
Welcome to the forum Blair this has been discussed elsewhere but let me educate you Herb Owns all the masters so i dont think it is a licensing issue some of us believe either that some of the albums haven't sold well enough to justify a reissue and or with the exception of Just you and me the ones you mentioned were released on CD previously and In the case of Just you and me it originally didn't chart and is the only Album of Herb' s that was never reissued in any form since it's first release in 1976 however We don't know for sure why some haven't been reissued but just remember Herb is in complete control of what gets released if and when.thats the best explanation I can give and again " Welcome to the forum"

Welcome to the forum Blair this has been discussed elsewhere but let me educate you Herb Owns all the masters so i dont think it is a licensing issue some of us believe either that some of the albums haven't sold well enough to justify a reissue and or with the exception of Just you and me the ones you mentioned were released on CD previously and In the case of Just you and me it originally didn't chart and is the only Album of Herb' s that was never reissued in any form since it's first release in 1976 however We don't know for sure why some haven't been reissued but just remember Herb is in complete control of what gets released if and when.thats the best explanation I can give and again " Welcome to the forum"

Thanks for the info.
I suspected it would have been discussed here elsewhere but couldn’t find anything, I was probably using the wrong search parameters.

I knew Herb’s songs as a kid, mainly the hits, but didn’t start buying his music until the Shout Factory discs came out.
Started getting the HAP discs and was hooked.
It’s to the point that all I need is Warm and a few of the most recent albums.
Which is why I’m disappointed a complete collection of his albums isn’t available......yet.
Hopefully Herb will see fit to release them as well

Thanks for the info.
I suspected it would have been discussed here elsewhere but couldn’t find anything, I was probably using the wrong search parameters.

I knew Herb’s songs as a kid, mainly the hits, but didn’t start buying his music until the Shout Factory discs came out.
Started getting the HAP discs and was hooked.
It’s to the point that all I need is Warm and a few of the most recent albums.
Which is why I’m disappointed a complete collection of his albums isn’t available......yet.
Hopefully Herb will see fit to release them as well
If not here's a tip look for the ones you don't have on Amazon or other sites that sell Cds or vinyl and look for the Best Condition at the lowest prices possible and once you get them if you can make backup copies or rip them into a computer That is what I did but the key is to get them as soon as you can as physical copies are almost going to be no longer in production in a few years time and existing stock will become more expensive

I'd have to check, but I think this is the one where I bought a used vinyl version and found it was distorting a lot at the inner grooves, suspecting groove burn. I later found a sealed version of it but found the exact same issue with the inner grooves, so, something was defective with these pressings.

Anyhow...

Here's a video:

"Zamba de Lozano" by Cuchi Leguizamón and Patricio Jiménez. The "Zamba" of Herb's version, written by del Barrio, is not the same, but seems to be inspired by it. What's important is that the full track title on this album, "Zamba (Para La Niña Yolanda)," gives a clue to who/what the song is about. La Niña Yolanda was Yolanda Pérez de Carenzo (1902-1968), an Argentinian pianist, and "Zamba de Lozano" was written by her two friends for her 15th birthday, the song becoming popular in Argentina as a result.

I later found a sealed version of it but found the exact same issue with the inner grooves, so, something was defective with these pressings.
Hmm. Not my experience at all. My copy of vinyl SP-5209 is pressed on nice, translucent vinyl and most of Side A and Side B is pressed toward the large diameter, with a large run-out groove area. I gave a listen to "Zamba" and "Hidden Angel" along with "Ancient Source" and I'd be hard-pressed to hear any difference between the vinyl and the CD. All sounded fine on my equipment.

This is a standard US vinyl version, the first one listed in Discogs. Mine has a saw-cut indicating it probably came from the radio station.

Run-out etchings:
Side A: A&M SP05209A ES1 \\ emw
Side B: A&M SP05209B-ES1 \\\ emw

Last edited:
Could have been another LP of Herb's, as I recall a couple of us here had the same issue.

"I Need You". I just like the sound of it-the synths, electric guitar, then the trumpet being the proverbial icing on the cake.

Hmm. Not my experience at all. My copy of vinyl SP-5209 is pressed on nice, translucent vinyl and most of Side A and Side B is pressed toward the large diameter, with a large run-out groove area. I gave a listen to "Zamba" and "Hidden Angel" along with "Ancient Source" and I'd be hard-pressed to hear any difference between the vinyl and the CD. All sounded fine on my equipment.

This is a standard US vinyl version, the first one listed in Discogs. Mine has a saw-cut indicating it probably came from the radio station.

Run-out etchings:
Side A: A&M SP05209A ES1 \\ emw
Side B: A&M SP05209B-ES1 \\\ emw

We had the same issues on this record.

I'll have to check this again tomorrow. Perhaps my differing experience is from either a worn or new stylus. I don't recall what stylus/cartridge I may have been using in 2018 versus what's in there currently. Right now it's the "nude fine line" Ortofon 320, but I may have switched it out for a reason back in 2018. I also have an Ortofon OM-5, and something from Audio Technica, an AT316EP. Some records play better with one or the other.

OK, I'm officially an idiot, and I hear all sorts of sibilant distortion on "Ancient Source" just as I described in 2018. I can't imagine what I was listening to on the post above - I must not have gotten to that really bad sibilant part.

But I do have two really nice CD pressings!
1660215971159.png
1660216018116.png

I still have my old, original CD from the week of release. 👍 That was also the last tour I saw of Herb's prior to the 2009 gig.

I have no idea what was up with those pressings! I thought the first one was worn, and the second one came fresh out of the sealed jacket sounding the same way.

Of other recent-ish sealed vinyl copies I've found, Bullish sounds fine, and Abstract Heart is an excellent sounding disc (just put it on--the 32Hz bass on "One O'Clock Jump" shakes the rafters).

I had the vinyl for a Brief time which I bought at the same time as I did the CD August 1988 and I still have the CD I heard the same distortion on the vinyl which I didn't hear on the CD but thankfully the CD is still in playable pristine shape and still a great listen

Abstract Heart is an excellent sounding disc (just put it on--the 32Hz bass on "One O'Clock Jump" shakes the rafters).
Mine's in a different time zone - it's called "3 o'clock Jump" :D

Mine's in a different time zone - it's called "3 o'clock Jump" :D
Yeah...I guess my soul is in Mountain Standard Time these days. 😐

I was probably thinking of Count Basie's theme song "One O'Clock Jump"...

Back
Top Bottom