Spotted "Rise" ad in a movie.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
In 1980, Paul Simon made a motion picture called ONE-TRICK PONY wherein he plays a down-on-his-luck musician trying to make a comeback after having his big hit back in the 60s. As he's visiting the record company, the executive (played by Allen Garfield (as Allen Goorwitz)) picks up a trade magazine with a big ad for "Rise" on the back page.

RiseAdInOneTrickPony.jpg

Sadly, it’s up for debate where more people would have seen that image: here on the Corner or in that movie. It was a huge flop.

Yeah I remember when the film was out, there was a lot of negative press, so we never bothered with either the film or the album. There's been an ongoing thread over at Hoffmans examining every Paul Simon song and recording and it's up to the songs from this film. So, after hearing a couple of songs, I decided to track down a video of the movie - it was apparently only released as a DVD by Warner Archives. That's where I spotted the "Rise" ad.

Some of the songs on the album - like "Oh, Marion" sound a good deal like something Steely Dan would be doing at that time. Here's my mono promo single of that tune:

I remember seeing the Rise promo poster in the background on some WKRP episodes. I wonder how many record promotion people lobbied the WKRP production staff to get their product featured on that show.

Heard Paul Simon "Oh, Marion" way back then on former station WRCI 93.5 FM in Midland, MI (Adult Contemporary) in the Spring & Summer of 1981.

Back
Top Bottom