🎵 AotW Stan Getz: APASIONADO (A&M SP 5297)

LPJim

Staff member
1Apasionado8:05
2Coba7:05
3Waltz For Stan
Composed By – Eddie Del Barrio*
6:05
4Española4:15
5Madrugada5:26
6Amorous Cat4:58
7Midnight Ride8:58
8Lonely Lady
Composed By – Mike Lang
5:39

Released 1990 and also issued as CD 5297
Reissued 2009 by Verve in Europe.

JB

Last edited:
I never did warm to Apasionado...in fact, the last time I played it, I couldn't even get all the way through it. And I've tried to like it a few times over the years. Bossas & Ballads is a better album. Getz just isn't my cup of tea--I like some (but not all) of his Bossa Nova albums, and Captain Marvel isn't too bad (that is basically Getz backed by the early Return To Forever band). But there are a few other tenor players I enjoy listening to more.

[QUOTE="Rudy, post: 199234, member: there are a few other tenor players I enjoy listening to more.
[/QUOTE]
I hate to say it, but I agree. I rarely play Getz, but I can easily enjoy Gato Barbieri or Grover Washington, Jr. anytime.

Stan Getz would be in my opinion "An acquired taste" musically I have this plus a couple of others including a Collaboration with Cal Tjader from 1959 from which my favorite track is called " For All We Know" and it's not the Carpenters song but an older and different composition

I hate to say it, but I agree. I rarely play Getz, but I can easily enjoy Gato Barbieri or Grover Washington, Jr. anytime.
My favorites of his are the Bossa Nova records, but in quieter albums like Getz/Gilberto and Best of Two Worlds, his overly loud tone just turns me off. That is partly a fault of how it was recorded, too--he should have been more recessed. His Verve album with Laurindo Almeida on the other hand is a perfect recording--the whole things is bursting with energy and he melds in nicely. And I can say the same for Jazz Samba.

The Stan Getz with Cal Tjader recording is pretty good also and there, too, he's not so out front in the mix. But there are others, like a handful on Verve, that are acclaimed but do nothing for me (like Focus). An acquired taste for sure. Apasionado is kind of sleepy in comparison to everything else he recorded, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom