🎷 AotW: Jazz Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - JAZZ SAMBA

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd
JAZZ SAMBA
Verve Records

Released April 20, 1962

Produced by Creed Taylor

Peaked at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums and the Jazz Albums Charts (1962)
"Desafinado" peaked at #15 on the Top 100 Singles Chart and #4 on the Adult Contemporary Chart (1962)

Songs:
1. Desafinado (Jobim/Mendonca) - 5:51
2. Samba Dees Days (Byrd) - 3:34
3. O Pato (Silva/Teixeira) - 2:31
4. Samba Triste (Blance/Powell) - 4:47
5. Samba De Uma Nota So (Jobim/Mendonca) - 6:11
6. E Luxo So (Barrosa/Peixoto) - 3:40
7. Baia (Barrosa) - 6:38

Musicians:
Stan Getz - Tenor Sax
Charlie Byrd - Guitar
Gene Byrd - Guitar, Bass
Keter Betts - Bass
Buddy Deppenschmidt - Drums
Bill Reichenbach - Drums

Recorded at Pierce Hall, All Souls Unitarian Church, Washington, D.C.
Engineer: Ed Green
Cover Art - Olga Albizu
Design - Isabelle Wong

Capt. Bacardi

50....years....?? Wow. I feel my liver spots bursting as I type this. :D

This is one of those groundbreaking Brazilian-themed records that introduced samba and bossa nova to the American ear. This and the Getz/Gilberto album both contributed a lot to that movement, which became a flood once everyone started covering Brazilian tunes on their albums.

I'm wondering if the drummer Bill Reichenbach is the father of trombonist Bill Reichenbach, Jr? Good probability I guess....

Capt. Bacardi

After reading this thread I went into my underground bomb shelter where I keep thousands of CDs and dug around until I found this and I gave it a spin. I haven't listend to Jazz Samba in a long time and I have to wonder why -- this album is great! Not a bad song on the CD ; two stand outs for me are: O Pato and Baia. Next up I'll be giving Jazz Samba Encore a spin.

Mike

Somewhat related...if you like the Getz/Gilberto album, they did an excellent album in the 70s, The Best Of Two Worlds, with vocalist Miucha. (Gilberto and Miucha were likely still married at the time; they are the parents of Bebel Gilberto.)

A brilliant lp! Getz and Byrd were a perfect combination. Every song on the lp is excellent but my favorite is the haunting "Samba Triste". Getz is really in a zone on this one. His somber solo is impressive and among his best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom