Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd perform Desafinado on the Perry Como Show 1963

lj

What makes this live performance historic is because it's the only video we have of the two together during their "jazz/samba" heyday. Shortly thereafter they would feud as Byrd demanded his fair share of the royalties from their Jazz/Samba album.

All of Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall shows on NBC were videotaped in color. However, the powers that be at RCA--the parent company of NBC--had all color variety shows taped over as an economy measure. Fortunately we have a black and white kinescope film of this 1963 show. This NBC policy explains why most of the Tonight Show broadcasts taped in color from the 1960s are gone forever, as an economy measure.

That's true for almost all videotaped programs until the late 70s when the networks by and large ceased the practice of "Wiping"

Bravo! Thanks, IJ. That was sensational!

As much as I like the original this live version is even better. A tip of the tam o' shanter to Perry (who's wearing a tie!) for letting them stretch out (and not having them cut it to 2:05). The solos and embellishments are further out than the Verve LP. Man, that Getz is a melodic monster and Byrd is even more over-the-top.

On a side note, I thoroughly enjoy Perry -- having quite a slew of his RCA LPs (1956-69). As a vocalist: he's Smooooth...with a capitol "S" and two additional "o"s.

Reactions: lj
I had the good fortune of seeing Charlie Byrd perform live at the Catamaran resort here in San Diego in 1975. There was one song during this splendid show that intrigued me--but I didn't know its name. So, after the show I asked the bass player--who was Charlie's brother--the name of that song which I started to hum. He said it was "Little Boat." Shortly thereafter I bought an album by Bryd which included this song. The album I bought is the one you see on the link below. I thought the album cover was so incredible with the macaw and Copacabana beach in majesty that it was worth buying just for the cover. "Little Boat" written by the master Bossa composer Roberto Menescal is recognized around the world as a musical standard. It became Jackie Kennedy's favorite Bossa tune after hearing it performed with "Bossa Nova at the White House" performed by the Paul Winter group in 1962.

Yes, Perry Como was a smooth vocalist. No other singer hosted TV series and specials continuously for an amazing 5 decades--from the 1950s-1990s--like Perry. Along with his great voice it was his likeability factor that explained his longevity. Now some day if only by a miracle we can see on YouTube-- Sergio, Lani, Janis and Brasil 66 on the Perry Como Holiday Special from 1967.