Stillness album cover Who is the musician?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

:) Dear Mendes fans,

I obtained the Stillness cd in october 2002,
but who is the musician on both covers of the album?

I recognized Claudio Slon, Rubens Bassini, Sebastião Neto and Sergio.
But who is the other musician? (to my knowlegde, not mr. Laudir Oliveira).

Regards,
Aqua do Brasil

It is, indeed, Laudir Soares de Oliviera...with a moustache! :wink:

Jon

...clean shaven, online and off...

Yep, it's Laudir alright with a mustache AND short hair. On later albums, he has a BIG AFRO. Does anyone notice how comfy-cozy Laudir appears to be with Lani Hall? He's sitting RIGHT NEXT to LANI wrapping his arms around her with a DEVILISH smile spread across his face. Lani on the other hand looks IRRITATED. Every picture tells a story.....

Is that the same Laudir that played with Chicago? If so, wow, what a small (musical) world!!

sbsugar said:
Is that the same Laudir that played with Chicago? If so, wow, what a small (musical) world!!

Hi Noah!

Indeed, it is the same Laudir that played with Chigaco. He did double-duty between Mendes and Chicago for a while (in the early days, that is...) If he wasn't recording and/or touring with Mendes, he was on the road and/or recording for Chicago. Eventually, he went to Chigaco full time. :)

Jon

Thanks for the confirmation, Brazil Nut....sheesh, talk about different ends of the musical spectrum!!! :shock:

Hey Noah! You're welcome!! I don't know much, but I'm willing to share what I do!! :D

Here's another one 'fer 'ya...

Sergio's own Marietta Waters was a (part time) lead vocalist for the rock band Berlin -- a position she held until Ms. Nunn returned to the group following a short absence. Marietta can also be heard sharing vocals on "Take My Breath Away".

How did I learn this? Imagine my surprise in 1985 when I attended a Berlin concert at Marriott's Great America. Teri, of course, was the lead vocalist. However, here was this cute back-up vocalist dancing all over the stage -- she was a cute blonde with frizzy hair, rosy cheeks, dark (Tom Cruise-like) sunglasses, a tight-fitting black mini dress, black fishnet stockings and black knee-high boots, sharing vocals with Ms. Nunn. At the conclusion of the show, they introduced their "Special Guest Star...Miss Marietta Waters!" Off came the sunglasses and there she was!! I couldn't believe it. I'd seen Brasil '88 about a month before the Berlin concert. Of course, Marietta was the lead vocalist. I never expected to see her with Berlin. Like Laudir, she did double-duty on the concert circuit and in the studio...amazing!

Jon

...Marietta Crazy Online... :wink:

I've been listening to Berlin since The Metro. I don't remember Marietta being with Berlin. Berlin's Take My Breath Away is featured on the TOP GUN soundtrack & Marietta has her own solo song called Destination Unknown. Marietta has worked with Stevie Wonder, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Dionne Warwick, Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenour, Olivia Newton John, Gilberto Gil, and Donna Summer(just naming a few-there's some more!)Marietta's also an accomplished songwriter too.She's a beautiful blonde with a powerful voice. Isn't she married to Alan Diaz?

Hmmm. I know Virginia Macolino (sp?) served as Berlin's vocalist for the brief time they were signed to IRS (read the details at: www.irscorner.com/b/berlin.html ) which was between Terri Nunn's stints. Terri Nunn left to persue an acting career which ultimately proved less than successful. I think her two most famous lines were: "Magnum! Look Out!" and "MacGyver! Look Out!"

The lovely and punky Virginia Macolino:
bergima.gif

--Mr Bill

True, Ms. Macolino did step in for Ms. Nunn on a regular basis...However, Ms. Waters did (as I said above) so on a part time basis as well. It was Marietta's involvement with Berlin that led to "Destination Unknown" from the movie Top Gun. Of course, early on, there was Toni Childs (long before Geffen, Nunn's return and the Moroder involvement, which ultimately led to "Take My Breath Away")

Berlin made the appearance at Great America to commemorate the opening of their new Top Gun roller coaster. Marietta was there along with her husband, Alaz Diaz -- following the concert, they had one of the first rides!

And, I agree with Bill. Macolino is an incredible (and sexy) vocalist. But, indeed, Marietta did step in from time to time during the later Nunn/Crawford period. :)

Jon

...who wishes that "Mrs. Diaz" would get back to solo recording or Mendes, online...

Wow! Learn something new everyday! I knew Toni CHilds was in the LA punk/new wave scene in the late 70s/early 80s and that she "hung" with Berlin, Missing Persons and other local acts, but I never knew she took on the lead duties with Berlin...

--Mr Bill
thinking Jon may be able to "flesh out" Mr Bill's IRS Berlin page...

Mr Bill said:
Wow! Learn something new everyday! I knew Toni CHilds was in the LA punk/new wave scene in the late 70s/early 80s and that she "hung" with Berlin, Missing Persons and other local acts, but I never knew she took on the lead duties with Berlin...

Yeah, Toni was the girl who (briefly) replaced Terri when she left to embark on her acting career. Virginia became the lead vocalist about a month later. They reformed shortly thereafter, adding Terri back to the line-up. It was later that Marietta -- who was lead vocalist with Mendes and doing back-up with Berlin -- would step in for Terri on occasion.

Mr Bill said:
thinking Jon may be able to "flesh out" Mr Bill's IRS Berlin page...

I don't know about that! You crack me up, Bill!! :laugh: In truth, I've been a big fan of Berlin from the get-go. I was as surprised as anyone to discover Marietta Waters singing with them! Then again, if you think about it, she does have a similar style and range to that of Terri Nunn.

Jon

...fleshing out old musical memories, online...

found an autographed copy of "stillness"
in a used record store here in nyc (sounds)
for only $6 (maybe ten years ago)

i never even knew about it
was so excited to get it home.

while not my fave 66 lp-
who'd a thunk sergio
could do his best track ever (verimundo)
so late in their (66) career?
and that pic of lani on the cover
is too cool for words

wp

walterphil said:
...who'd a thunk sergio
could do his best track ever (verimundo)
so late in their (66) career?
and that pic of lani on the cover
is too cool for words...

Exactly! Here's another example of Lani, Karen and Gracinha singing together. They sound great! All three were there when I saw Brasil '66 live in '71. Of course, we saw Brasil '77 a couple of months later. Same band sans Lani Hall. However, I'm with you. Viramundo is a sensational track.

Jon

...loving the combination of Lani, Karen & Gracinha, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom