Stillness Of Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Trevor said:
"COULD THERE BE EYES LIKE YOURS..."
sorry, couldn't resist. I agree, I really like this song. The ladies seem less synched as they do in other songs. (perhaps forshadowing to Ye-Me-Le). yes, come to think of it, there is a whole underlying synchronization thing going... From The first album (Lani doing the vocals twice to perfection) to Stillness (think Viramundo with each singer singing her own version of the song).
Then in brasil '77 they are back to overlapping the same singer for fluency (of that language). (Gone Forever, Tonga, After Midnight?)

You know, as I was driving along listening to "For What It's Worth" and "So Many People", I had the same exact thought. Brasil '66 had come full circle. As you said, Lani did the vocals on the first album to perfection. By Ye-Me-Le, they were singing in unison, one girl to each channel. Along comes Stillness (and Karen's knock-out version of "For What It's Worth" -- one of my favorites to this day), with all three sometimes singing in unison.

Tell me, what do you all hear on Stillness in the way of vocals? I hear it this way:

Stillness -- Lani

Righteous Life -- Lani (lead), Karen (unison)

Chelsea Morning -- Lani (lead), Karen & Gracinha (unison -- although they all seem "unplugged" with their vocals)

Cancao do Nosso Amor -- duh! Sergio Mendes!! :tongue:

Viramundo -- Lani, Karen and Gracinha (especially on the ending chant!)

Lost In Paradise -- Gracinha (lead), but can't figure out the rest...is this Lani and Gracinha? All three? And, come to think of it, this vocal arrangement does not sound as Karen & Gracinha do on Pais Tropical. I (think) I can definitely hear Lani in the mix...this one baffles me! Whatever the case, it's a sensational song.

For What It's Worth -- Karen Philipp (double-tracked a-la Lani Hall on the first album) :wink:

Sometimes In Winter -- Sergio & Lani (lead), Karen (unison on chorus)

Celebration Of The Sunrise -- Lani, Karen & Gracinha (this is much as they sounded when we saw them in '70 or '71 at the Monterey Jazz Festival when all three appeared -- also the last time we saw Lani with the group)

Stillness -- duh! Lani Hall!! :)

And that's my take on Stillness. I'd be interested to hear what others think. Most of us have been listening to this album for years. We all have our own perceptions. What do you folks hear? Who is who? What stands out for you? Who (other than Lani's solos, Sergio's solos, Gracinha's solo and Karen's solo on "For What It's Worth") stands out for you? Gee, this could be a thread of its own.

Trevor said:
Do you all think I may have something here???? (or has this already been discussed?)

You certainly do have something here. I'm sure this has been discussed in one form or another, but that's what makes the Corner so great. I don't know if it has been broken down (song for song) as above or not. It would be interesting to do this with the entire Brasil '66 catalog. Like you, I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. :!:

Jon

...sharing his perceptions For What It's Worth, online...

Hi Brasil_nut and other Stillness fans,

Jon, I sort of agree with you on some. I think my dog sang the Canção do Nosso Amor. I know, I am not funny. :sad:

Ok, I am going to do what Jon did and go down the list...

Stillness: Lani

Righteous Life: Lani and Lani in different channels.

Chelsea Morning: Karen (on the verses) and Lani (doing "oh, won't" bridge) and (Karen and Gracinha doing backing (filler) vocals)

Viramundo: All three. Lani Lead and Karen and Gracinha in the panned channels.

Lost in the Paradise: Gracinha and (Gracinha with (a faint sounding) Lani in chorus) I don't think it's Karen. And Gracinha dubbed over herself didn't sound that strong at that time. (Think of when she sang with the Bossa Rio and the song Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê.)

For What It's Worth: Karen and some Lani in second verse. Both in the fade. (Karen then Lani)

Sometimes in Winter: Either Lani and Lani in different channels (like Righteous Life) or Lani and Karen. Don't know. This one confuses me.

Celebration of the Sunrise: Karen and Gracinha. (the same mix as in the backing of Chelsea Morning).

BONUS SONGS::

País Tropical: Gracinha and Gracinha or Gracinha and Karen? (because that is really good portuguese, too good to be Karen, I think)
Pais Tropical (japanese): ????

I am curious to what people think...

Trevor said:

Righteous Life: Lani and Lani in different channels....

Ok...I can see that. But, the final verse sounds like Lani and Karen back and forth, to me: "Except the free..."

Trevor said:
Lost in the Paradise: Gracinha and (Gracinha with (a faint sounding) Lani in chorus) I don't think it's Karen. And Gracinha dubbed over herself didn't sound that strong at that time. (Think of when she sang with the Bossa Rio and the song Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê.)

I agree, because it doesn't sound like the Pais Tropical vocal mix at all.

Trevor said:
For What It's Worth: Karen and some Lani in second verse. Both in the fade. (Karen then Lani)

Gracinha confirmed to Paul Jeromack and I that "For What It's Worth" is, indeed, Karen double-tracked all the way through. Lani does not appear on this song. Once again, testament to Sergio's ability to record Karen in a "Lani Hall-ish" kind of way. :tongue:

Trevor said:
Sometimes in Winter: Either Lani and Lani in different channels (like Righteous Life) or Lani and Karen. Don't know. This one confuses me.

Like I said before, I hear the grittiness of Karen's voice on the chorus. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about this one. It's a beautiful rendition of a Blood, Sweat & Tears classic.

Trevor said:
BONUS SONGS::

País Tropical: Gracinha and Gracinha or Gracinha and Karen? (because that is really good portuguese, too good to be Karen, I think)
Pais Tropical (japanese): ????

I'd say Gracinha and Karen -- the reason being that Karen (from what I've read and heard from a personal friend of hers) was fluent in Portuguese (having lived with Rubens Bassini). Karen apparently has the gift of Languages, because she became fluent in Portuguese within a relatively short period of time. As for the Japanese version? Oh, I'd say Karen and Gracinha again. You can almost hear Karen smiling as she sings the song. To my ears, this sounds exactly the same as the Portuguese version, vocal-wise. :wink:

Trevor said:
I am curious to what people think...

That's what I perceive within Stillness. Then again, your comments have given me pause to listen and listen again. All in all, this is a fascinating twist on a typical Corner album discussion. I'd say it's a tribute to Sergio and his amazing ability with a vocal arrangement. :)

Jon

...still anxious to hear what others have to say, online...

Stillness and For What It’s Worth, we know who is who. I agree about Lani and Gracinha in the chorus of “Lost in Paradise”.

Now for the rest…

I agree with Jon about Lani and Karen in “Righteous Life”. And I think that “Sometimes in Winter” is Lani and Karen, too. The thing about “Sometimes in Winter” I think that there were some reverb effects applied to Lani vocal’s, but not Karen’s. This totally sounds far fetched, but think about the last time Lani sings “Sometimes in Win-ter…” before the fade-out. The reverb (echo) is given to the “-ter”, and this is more or less the same echo that is applied to Lani's vocals that allows Karen to have the lead in parts of the song. Make sense? Listen to the last part again, and then listen to the whole song.

“Viramundo” is all 3 singers, I think. And from what I hear in the “ending chant” (well put, Jon), I would say Gracinha is in the lead, with Lani on the left-ish, and Karen on the right-ish.

Ok, this, I know, no one will agree with me on this. “Chelsea Morning” is the same as “For What It’s Worth”. I know that Gracinha has told you, Jon, that she sang on that, so this is why I have a little reserve in saying this. (As you know, I adore Gracinha, but I just don’t hear her (or her accent which she still had at that time)). Here’s my thought… In the songs that we know Lani sings, the vocal channels (good word Trevor) are very distinct. The songs that Lani does not sing, the vocal channels are not used (except in the fades and “tenses” in “Chelsea Morning”. The “Chelsea Morning” unplugged sound, to me, is Karen overdubbed. It’s the same sound as the 45 of “For What It’s Worth” (you all know I love that 45). Bottom line: When Lani sings, there are vocal channels.

”Celebration of the Sunrise” I would say is Karen and Gracinha. An introduction to Brasil’77…

Brandon

…doubting that anyone will agree…

Brasil6699 said:
...I think that “Sometimes in Winter” is Lani and Karen, too. The thing about “Sometimes in Winter” I think that there were some reverb effects applied to Lani vocal’s, but not Karen’s. This totally sounds far fetched, but think about the last time Lani sings “Sometimes in Win-ter…” before the fade-out. The reverb (echo) is given to the “-ter”, and this is more or less the same echo that is applied to Lani's vocals that allows Karen to have the lead in parts of the song. Make sense? Listen to the last part again, and then listen to the whole song…

Wow! Excellent!! I listened and listened again. You know what? You're right! Karen is distinctly heard on: "...and you're gone now..." The reverb effect is, indeed, applied to Lani's "...ter..." Karen's echo is heard in closing on the cross harmony.

Brasil6699 said:
“Viramundo” is all 3 singers, I think. And from what I hear in the “ending chant” (well put, Jon), I would say Gracinha is in the lead, with Lani on the left-ish, and Karen on the right-ish…

All 3 singers, yes. Gracinha is dominant throughout the song -- much as Lani would have been with previous albums. I think it's Gracinha in the lead, Lani on the left, Karen on the right -- that makes sense.

Brasil6699 said:
...Ok, this, I know, no one will agree with me on this. “Chelsea Morning” is the same as “For What It’s Worth”. I know that Gracinha has told you, Jon, that she sang on that, so this is why I have a little reserve in saying this. (As you know, I adore Gracinha, but I just don’t hear her (or her accent which she still had at that time)). Here’s my thought… In the songs that we know Lani sings, the vocal channels (good word Trevor) are very distinct. The songs that Lani does not sing, the vocal channels are not used (except in the fades and “tenses” in “Chelsea Morning”. The “Chelsea Morning” unplugged sound, to me, is Karen overdubbed. It’s the same sound as the 45 of “For What It’s Worth” (you all know I love that 45). Bottom line: When Lani sings, there are vocal channels.

It's not that I don't agree (that's why I named the thread Stillness of Perception), we all have our take on things. I can hear Gracinha on "Chelsea Morning". Listen to the second "...second..." on the cross harmony. Sounds like Gracinha to me. I think (as has been discussed before), that Lani is lead-tracked over Gracinha and Karen -- each singer kind of doing their own thing. This is where I get the term "unplugged", a term Paul Jeromack has applied to Ye-Me-Le (the album) and certain other songs by Brasil '66.

Brasil6699 said:
”Celebration of the Sunrise” I would say is Karen and Gracinha. An introduction to Brasil’77...

I like your "...introduction to Brasil '77..." thought! I can't stress enough how Karen was fluent in Portuguese, the way it's sung, the intonation and harmony indicative of a Brasilian song. Anyone who wonders about Karen, and her ability to turn Brasilian phrase, should give "Viola" (from Live At Expo '70) a close listen. Karen not only handles the vocal with ease, she's the dominating vocalist all the way across the board. Sensational!

Jon

Brandon...I just listened to Stillness all the way through. I can see some of your points. I like the way you refer to "tracks" as opposed to overlapped harmonies. However, my perception tells me that Gracinha is there on "Chelsea Morning" along with Lani and Karen.

As for "Celebration Of The Sunrise", I'm again blown away by your description of the song. Being a literal prelude of what was to follow (Pais Tropical), "Celebration Of The Sunrise" does, indeed, pave the way for Brasil '77.

Excellent!! :wink:

Jon

...fascinated by Stillness, online...

Thank you, Jon.

Because the vocals on "Chelsea Morning" are layered, it's difficult to differentiate the singers.

There is good news. On "Live at the Expo" Lani is on left, Karen is on right. That I know! :D

"Celebration of the Sunrise" was an intro to Brasil'77, and for me, the "Stillness" reprise was a quiet good-bye from Lani (and Brasil'66)

Brandon

Ok, I respect both of you guys, honest I do.

But (sorry) here I go again...

"Righteous Life" is Lani and Lani. I feel that during whatever troubles Sergio and Lani were experiencing, "Righteous Life" was still recorded (without Brasil'66), and Lani sang both channels...

Listen to Lani sing "Empty Faces" and the newer "Viola fora de moda". And listen to "Righteous Life" again... I am totally being stubborn, but I really think it's Lani.

UNLESS!!!! Karen sang "Empty Faces"? "Empty Faces" has a very interesting vocal sound to it. (by the way)

(if nothing else, I am still wrong)

Brandon, interesting observation on the "Sometimes in Winter" effect.

-trevor

Trevor said:
Ok, I respect both of you guys, honest I do.

But (sorry) here I go again...

Please don't be sorry for your input. We all have our own opinions. This, I feel, is what makes A&M Corner such a great site.

Trevor said:
"Righteous Life" is Lani and Lani. I feel that during whatever troubles Sergio and Lani were experiencing, "Righteous Life" was still recorded (without Brasil'66), and Lani sang both channels...

I'm unclear about what you mean here. I'm sorry. Could you elaborate? I mean, what troubles were Lani and Sergio experiencing, other than Sergio being sad to see Lani leave the group? I'm also unclear about "Righteous Life" being recorded without Brasil '66?

Could be I'm reading this out of context -- and I'm tired. I just returned from a four-day trip (as a Flight Attendant, I return home exhausted and sometimes have to read things once or twice before they sink in!) :wink:

Trevor said:
Listen to Lani sing "Empty Faces" and the newer "Viola fora de moda". And listen to "Righteous Life" again... I am totally being stubborn, but I really think it's Lani.

UNLESS!!!! Karen sang "Empty Faces"? "Empty Faces" has a very interesting vocal sound to it. (by the way)...

I think you're right about "Empty Faces". Indeed, it is Lani Hall singing that song. As for the "interesting vocal sound" of the song, I think it has to do with the key in which Lani is singing. I do, however, know exactly what you mean about this and "Viola" as well. And heck...you're not wrong! Again, that's why I named this thread "Stillness Of Perception", for everyone has perceptions of their own!!

Jon

...hearing Crystal Illusions the same way Trevor does, online...

Perhaps I was tired, too, when I wrote that.

"Righteous Life" has many additional credits:MICHAEL LANG, piano; MARK STEVENS, drums; JOE OSBORN, bass, and I remember reading somewhere (on the posting board here) that "Righteous Life" wasn't backed by Brasil '66 that it was recorded with "studio musicians".

"Empty Faces" does have an interesting sound, yes!

-trevor

listening to "Para Vivir Asi" from "Lo Mejor..."

Trevor said:
Perhaps I was tired, too, when I wrote that.

"Righteous Life" has many additional credits:MICHAEL LANG, piano; MARK STEVENS, drums; JOE OSBORN, bass, and I remember reading somewhere (on the posting board here) that "Righteous Life" wasn't backed by Brasil '66 that it was recorded with "studio musicians".

"Empty Faces" does have an interesting sound, yes!

Boy! Do I understand what you mean by being tired. Been there, done that!

You are right: "Righteous Life" does have an interesting list of credits. I once recall Sergio telling me that Stillness was a "turning point" -- and I don't think he was talking about Lani's departure, the change from Brasil '66 to Brasil '77 or anything like that. To be honest, I don't really know what he meant and I didn't push it. Some things are better left unsaid.

In retrospect, perhaps you weren't so tired after all, Trevor. When I think of Sergio's "turning point", it occurs to me that "Righteous Life" was recorded without Brasil '66. An interesting observation on your part! :wink:

My Father had all of Sergio's albums (A&M, Capital, Atlantic, etc.) in reel-to-reel format. I have always been fascinated by four of the Brasil '66 albums: Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Equinox, Ye-Me-Le and Crystal Illusions (I remember when Fool On The Hill, Crystal Illusions, Ye-Me-Le and Stillness were released. Of course, I was too young to remember the release of HAP, Equinox and Look Around.)

"Salt Sea" and "Empty Faces" not only share the distinction of appearing side-by-side, they also have a very distinctive sound -- something which always appealed to me. Indeed, the sound is best described as interesting...you hit the nail on the head!

Jon

For fun, I typed "Stillness" into the search (since it's still my favorite B'66 album) and pulled out a few discussions to read. So here's a 13-year-old topic brought back to life.

"Righteous Life" does have an interesting list of credits. I once recall Sergio telling me that Stillness was a "turning point" -- and I don't think he was talking about Lani's departure, the change from Brasil '66 to Brasil '77 or anything like that. To be honest, I don't really know what he meant and I didn't push it. Some things are better left unsaid.

To me this isn't too hard to figure out -- Sergio's sales had dropped off dramatically after Fool on the Hill, and he was looking to reignite his sales, so there was a concerted effort to come up with a new sound.

"Righteous Life," being recorded with the L.A. studio musicians instead of his regular band, was a clear stab at a single in the same vein as the Carpenters' "Close To You" (which came out about the same time and also, as many will know, used session musicians on drums and bass), and was also a song that would fit neatly into the "singer/songwriter" mold of tunes being released about that time by many other artists. I'm not sure why "Righteous Life" or "For What It's Worth" didn't crack through the radio barrier, because they're both great pop tunes...although I will readily admit that neither of them is as catchy as "Close To You" was!

I suppose part of the problem might have been the name "Brasil '66," making the group seem dated in the new decade. Which is what led to Sergio renaming his group for the next album!

I've wondered, on occasion, if Stillness might have been a better seller if it had been sequenced differently. Maybe start off with "Viramundo" or "Chelsea Morning" and move the title song to the end....we already know it makes a great closer. Previous albums had started off with an uptempo tune, but Stillness' opening song is moody and somber -- which may have led some fans to leave some of the other tracks undiscovered. You know how fickle music fans can be!

On to more archival reading...

Re: who played on Righteous Life. Claudio Slon insisted to me it was the musicians listed on the album credits. Paula Stone told me she was in the studio when it was recorded and it was Sergio and the band. I'm thinking Sergio did a first take and then handed it off to others to finish. The keyboard playing just doesn't sound like Sergio to me, but what do I know? :)

STILLNESS - A SOLO ALBUM?

This morning I was perusing eBay and spotted a press kit for the 1989 album ARARA. Reading part of the text, I was somewhat dumbfounded to see a statement about STILLNESS having been a "solo" album. Really?

AraraPressKit.jpg

AraraPressKitCloseup.jpg

Really?

Harry

Well the essay also gets the very next fact wrong: There were only TWO albums with the new lineup, not three. Unless he's counting the live Brasil '77 album, which would be odd since it never saw a domestic release.

I think it's pretty hilarious that the writer infers that Arara is a musical exploration of Sergio's Brazilian background in the style of Primal Roots. The two couldn't be MORE different!

The "solo album" comment does have one thing going for it: On the Stillness LPs, the record label just says "Sergio Mendes" for the artist....no mention of Brasil '66 except on the album cover.

I remember the 8-track tape of the album (which is where I first heard it) had the artist name shown as "S. Mendes & Brasil '66."

And then there's that seen-once-on-eBay version of STILLNESS that's never again been spotted credited to Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 on the cover:

still77.jpg

Glad I saved the picture!

I once made a compilation of best-of "Brasil '77" songs and included some Stillness songs JUST because of that cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom