Strange Sounds Heard At The Beginning Of The Song

Rod Stewart's cover of Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Rock 'N' Roller", his dog barking at the beginning, there...

Someone's got the giggles: The beginning of Punch (A&M SP 4307) "Piece Of My Mind" and Mac Davis "Why Don't We Sleep On It Tonight?" (It's Hard To Be Humble)...

-- Dave

How about Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything album? You've got an entire side (Side 4) that's absolutely jam-packed with studio chatter inbetween songs, multiple songs ("Couldn't I Just Tell You," "You Left Me Sore," etc.) that begin with one or more false starts, and a whole interlude devoted to demonstrating "sounds of the studio."

One of the weirdest beginnings I've ever heard to any track is one from Nilsson's Son of Schmilsson - I believe it's "At My Front Door" - that opens with a false start (abruptly ended by a belch) from another song entirely ("Remember (Christmas).") But then, that whole album is pretty weird. (I absolutely love "The Lottery Song," though.)

Another record with a really bizarre opening is Neil Diamond's recording of "Hanky Panky" - and, no, I swear I'm not making that up; such a thing actually exists (on the flip side of the now-forgotten-but-enjoyable single "Do It") - it opens with the engineer announcing Take One, and Neil protesting, "No, I'm not gonna do this song ... I don't care who wrote it, I'm not doing it ..." :laugh:

One unusual A&M-related example: the noise doesn't appear on the original LP and CD pressings, but Tommy Shaw so badly detests the song "Friendly Advice" (he's gone on record in interviews as saying it's the single-worst thing he's ever written) from his second A&M solo disc, What If, that after it got reissued on CD years later, he intentionally moved the song to the very end of the album and added the sound of a needle skating across vinyl at the very beginning to leave no doubt how he felt about it. :laugh: [I'd agree with him that that particular song isn't one of his better moments, but the rest of that album is pretty good, actually. I actually like it the best of any of his solo albums. The title cut, "This Is Not a Test," "True Confessions," and "Bad Times" are all really fun listens.]

Like "A Taste Of Honey", "Yesterday" (by the Beatles, copied by myriad others) seems to also be hard to start...

-- Dave

So does Supertramp's "Take The Long Way Home": There is a brief, dreary sounding passage of music before the harmonica intro of this song, in which case, the Single version just starts at the harmonica line at the beginning...

I was so disappointed years ago, when I was collecting '45's that it wasn't available...!

A radio station, too, trying to start this song at the 'official LP beginning', kept cutting it off after several attempted plays to do its Top O' The Hour News Reports...! (AM 630, CFCO)

-- Dave

"I've looked at clouds from both sides now..." -- Dave Bromberg says at the beginning of Rick Derringer's "Cheap Tequila" from his 1973 album, All American Boy...

-- Dave

Surprised no one's mentioned the Monkees' "Daydream Believer"...
Chip Douglas (producer, on the talk-back switch): "Seven-A."
Davy Jones: "What number's this, Chip?"
Mike Nesmith, Peter Tork, and Micky Dolenz: "SEVEN-A."
Jones: "OK, just 'cuz I'm short, it's all right..."

It unfortunately didn't appear on the record, but a musician who worked on Benny Hill's last recording session reported that one of the other musicians asked conductor Ronnie Aldrich where they were picking up on a re-take; Aldrich replied "from letter B," and Hill sang "Letter B, Letter B, Letter B, Letter B..." to the tune of "Let It Be!"
:biglaugh:

Like "A Taste Of Honey", "Yesterday" (by the Beatles, copied by myriad others) seems to also be hard to start...

-- Dave

But at least Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders did it as a medley w/ "The Long And Winding Road"... It's on his Silverbird album from 1970; got to listen to it again...

And introduced daughter Laura to "Feel The Warm", and the tear-jerker at the end, "Windy Wakefield"...

-- Dave

"Well, Molly, Wolly, Lolly, Yip-Yap-Bop-A-Lula-Whoa, Yeah!" (Screaming:) "Ahhhhhhh!!!!" "Ahhhhhhh!!!!"

Joe Walsh, prologue at the beginning of "Meadows"...

Also The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had a version of "Mr. Bojangles" with a spoken-word "Prologue" at the beginning (to paraphrase the "Uncle Charlie And His Dog, Teddy" title of the album it was on, or perhaps this served as a portrayal of Jerry Jeff Walker's actual "Mr. Bojangles" character he'd originally wrote & sang about)...

-- Dave

Hmmmm...forgot, right at the beginning of the Vanilla Fudge album, Vanilla Fudge: "Set pleasance control", is said right at the beginning of "Ticket To Ride"...

Deep Purple "Anyone's Daughter" on Fireball: There's a plunking piano, some guitar riffs and studio chatter at its intro...

-- Dave

The Toto song "Africa" (from 1982 "Toto IV"), someone is saying "Ha ha ha" while Jeff Porcaro is playing the drums!! You can hear that on the headphones!! Just bought the CD reissue on Culture Factory & it sounds great!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On The Crusaders' "Free as the Wind" album (a really strong set of songs), you can hear the tape begin to roll at the start of "I Felt the Love." And...in Herb's "Freight Train Joe," what is that during Julius's second marimba solo? A little kid going "gooh da daaa dee"?

Grand Funk Railroad "Can You Do It" (from 1976 "Good Singin', Good Playin'") (yeah right) has the late Frank Zappa saying "As dah see da blind", "All right, wait a minute". Then one of the band members is yelling out "Iiiiiiiiiiiiii" & Frank Zappa is counting 1, 2 & Grand Funk Railroad says "Oh my god, what a mouth".:yikes::crazy: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On The Hudson Brothers "Ba - Fa" album from late 1975, the song "With Somebody Else" has violins at the beginning & one of the brothers is saying "Yeah, that'll work okay, that'll work okay", then another is saying "But not in octave above" & then producer Bernie Taupin says "Lets do it, okay!!" An album that has NOT seen the light of day on CD as of yet (also their best though) as well as the remaining Hudson Brothers catalog except "Hollywood Situation" & "So You Are A Star: The Very Best Of" (which both CD's are out of print & costs highly). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The sound of a chime indiucating a text message on someone's cell phone got me thinking of the four chimes you hear at the beginning of John Lennon's "(Just Like) Starting Over"--felt like breaking out into "Our life... Together...", upon hearing it in the men's room... I even remember how a radio DJ, long ago, when it just came out, recited along with it: "Oh, Four O' Clock--Time for Tea!"... -- Dave

The sound of a chime indicating a text message on someone's cell phone got me thinking of the four chimes you hear at the beginning of John Lennon's "(Just Like) Starting Over"--felt like breaking out into "Our life... Together...", upon hearing it in the men's room...

Ah, yeh, how treacly & gruesome is THAT?! We need newer & cheaper Hudson Bros. reissues--and I've yet hear anything they've done--some vinyl needs to be investigated, specifically the one done w/ the strings that you speak of... (Sid Sharp & his bunch?)

Oh, OK--this one: The manic voice laughing & babbling, "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! --Wipe out!" on the beginning of "Wipe Out" by the Surfaris, spoken by the band's manager of the time, Dale Smallin... The song, of course, refers to a fall by a surfer, often a painful fall while surfing usually done by a big wave...

One historical moment is the attempt to play this song on AM 630 CFCO, right at the time of a late-night/early-morning news broadcast, on which the song never got past the manic laughter at the intro & afterwards, another song got played... (Didn't help a noteworthy story was possibly pretty much some bad news, on which whatever humor (in the event there were any serious injury or death) was not particularly welcome... (OK, to put it as what would be done in Canada, in French: Grave lesiones ou mort)

Check out the Surfaris' inspirational logo too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipe_Out_(instrumental)

-- Dave

OK, there was another CFCO News Broadcast (AMM 630) that interrupted the Elecrtric Light Orchestra's "Evil Woman" after Jeff Lynne's "You made a fool of meee-eee...!" at the beginning... (It was way back before this radio station went country, back when it did oldies...)

-- Dave

This is Chatham Kent oldies station "Classic Gold" CFCO!! (until it went to country in March 2008):rant: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Today I heard David Bowie's "Modern Love" and it begins w/ a spoken intro by Bowie, that goes: "I know when to go out...", "And when to stay in...", "Get things done..." :hide:

Side note: Supertramp "Take The Long Way Home", thought about it while I was getting up this morning & Déjà vu: It came on the radio when I was taking my daughter to school--well, after I'd dropped her off...--and had to deal w/ all the rest of the traffic, that had just dropped their kids off at school... :help:

-- Dave

On The Hudson Brothers "Ba - Fa" album from late 1975, the song "With Somebody Else" has violins at the beginning & one of the brothers is saying "Yeah, that'll work okay, that'll work okay", then another is saying "But not in octave above" & then producer Bernie Taupin says "Lets do it, okay!!" An album that has NOT seen the light of day on CD as of yet (also their best though) as well as the remaining Hudson Brothers catalog except "Hollywood Situation" & "So You Are A Star: The Very Best Of" (which both CD's are out of print & costs highly). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Please, please, please write Real Gone Music by going to their website (http://www.realgonemusic.com/) and selecting the link in the upper right corner of the page called Real Gone Suggestion Box. Ask for them to release "Ba - Fa" on CD. Definitely one of the best albums released in the 70's by any artist.

At the beginning of Neil Diamond's "Beautiful Noise", you hear cars honking but what I heard in the headphones, a man was saying "f--k" or "ow". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom