Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

The Beatles' "Get Back"--at the end, is the famous quipping by Lennon & McCartney, as this song was done as their famous rooftop performance on top of Apple Studios, interrupted by the local police as there had been complaints from the community over their disturbing the piece...

Hence are the quotable-mentions:

"The audience applauds, and McCartney says "Thanks, Mo" in reply to (Ringo's wife) Maureen Starkey's cheering. Lennon adds: "I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition..."

-- Dave

The end of Simon & Garfunkel's version of the Everly Borthers' "Bye-Bye, Love": An acoustic guitar is heard faintly strumming along a melody before segueing into "Song For The Asking" (basically a Paul Simon solo)...

-- Dave

Here's Pink Floyd's own "spooky weirdness" at the end of "Bike" from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn:

There seem to be some wild bird--well, Goose--calls... I had that song on the Relics collection (Which to quote, THE ROLLING STONE RECORD GUIDE cites: "Relics collects singles from Piper, to (forgot which album) and is of little interest...") on a cassette tape...

-- Dave

Yes, a cute song of Syd Barrett's lyrical subject showing a girl his bike (which he borrowed), his old, worn out cloak, a homeless, aging mouse that he calls "Gerald", and a clan of gingerbread men—because she "fits in with [his] world." With each repetition of the chorus, is the sudden percussive noise, heard similar to the firing of two gunshots...

Of which at the end, among the noisy collage of oscillators, clocks, gongs, bells, a violin, and other sounds edited with tape techniques, is apparently the "other room" spoken of in the song, and giving the impression of the turning gears of a bicycle, then it fades out with a tape loop of the band members laughing reversed and played at double speed...

But what do Jimmie Rodgers, Claudine & The Sandpipers have in common, in them all recording "I Believed It All" for A&M? They all asked, at the end: "Didn't you?"...

-- Dave

Just bought Creedence Clearwater Revival "The Singles Collection" (2 CD's & 1 DVD & a poster). All songs are in "MONO" sound except the last 2 weird songs "45 Revolutions Per Minute" (parts 1 & 2) in STEREO & for promotional use only. The DVD does NOT have the film for "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" though but you can find it on YouTube!! The booklet is wrong about the song "Proud Mary" peaking at # 58 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart. It went to # 2 (for 3 weeks) because Tommy Roe "Dizzy" kept the song from # 1 in 1969. Also the song "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (edited version) did NOT peaked at # 25, the song went to # 43 in February 1976. The ending of "Suzie Q" (part 2) has Doug Clifford (while the song is fading) stops his drumming!! The song "I Put A Spell On You" (when you hear it on headphones) has it playing mostly on the right speaker (maybe stereophonic)?? The song "Green River" fades in as the band ends the song by stopping!! The song "Down On The Corner" does NOT have the opening in which Doug Clifford play the cymbal & the woodblock (which the 45 had) believe it or don't because it was cut off!! The CD's have the original "Fantasy" label (green & orange) that they had on the 45's back then. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Pink Floyd's own "spooky weirdness" at the end of "Bike" from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn:

The wild bird--well, Goose--calls... Yes, a cute song of Syd Barrett's lyrical subject showing a girl his bike (which he borrowed), his old, worn out cloak, a homeless, aging mouse that he calls "Gerald", and a clan of gingerbread men—because she "fits in with [his] world." With each repetition of the chorus, is the sudden percussive noise, heard similar to the firing of two gunshots...

Of which at the end, among the noisy collage of oscillators, clocks, gongs, bells, a violin, and other sounds edited with tape techniques, is apparently the "other room" spoken of in the song, and giving the impression of the turning gears of a bicycle, then it fades out with a tape loop of the band members laughing reversed and played at double speed...

Can't get over how that seems to be what the whole song is about... But another Pink Floyd song comes to mind, "Biding My Time", of which a trombone (by whichever member knows/knew how to blow one at the time) gets played at the end--and that song's subject of "working from 9-to-5" as I had to do while working my way through my college years, though mainly listening to my music--and you know what? I am still in that stage, years later...! (Though no academics or any electives I've ever turned into a career...)

But here's Sir Elton John and Kiki Dee's "Snow Queen", (one of the many Elton John non-LP '45's he was making at the time... This was a B-Side to the duo's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart") that 'I believe' (as Elton sings in the lyrics) "I got you, babe" is sung at or near the end; the song was dedicated to Cher:

-- Dave

I also forgot about Creedence Clearwater Revival "Born On The Bayou" which has an earlier fade at 3:47 on the MONO version. The third & final verse was cut out. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The Canadian rock group The Tragically Hip's lead singer Gord Downie is battling cancer at 52 years old since last May. On their second album "Up To Here" (from 1989), the song on Track 5 "She Didn't Know" ends with a scratched record being played when the needle picks up. Then the record starts again at the beginning of Track 6 called "Boots Or Hearts". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On ZZ Top "Eliminator" (from 1983), the song "Bad Girl" which is the last song on side 2 (known as "X2") goes into the groove line & one of the members of ZZ Top is sayin' "Oh Mercy". Same can be heard in the music video for "TV Dinners" at the end of the music video, the monster is sayin' "Oh Mercy". Here is the groove line: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

From "The Muppet Show 2" album from late 1978, here is the locked groove when Fozzie Bear is sayin' "HELP", "HELP"... & so on. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

B.T.O. (formerly Bachman-Turner Overdrive) "The World Is Waiting For A Love Song" (from 1978 "Street Action") & the end of the song goes downhill!! (audio only)

Back
Top Bottom