Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

The end of the Vanilla Fudge S/T album, (where the Original Compositions run at an average-length of 35-seconds, while Cover Songs are stretched out to an average-length of Four-Minutes!) Vanilla Fudge: "The following is a series of High-Frequency Tones", and played out on a ???? at a real high-pitch...

Remember my 8-Track of it my mom brought home w/ a bunch of other titles she'd found at a thrift store, after a then-recent to trip to my grandma's, twenty-five years ago...

-- Dave

I remember having the A&M 45 of "Muskrat Love", and being intrigued that the steps or whatever the heck they are of the muskrats continuing over the "return" part of the disc, quitting at the edge of the label.

Today, or at least when they performed (they're retired now), Daryl Dragon has replaced the muskrat footsteps with a few gunshots.

America's version, which came before Captain & Tennille's, ends w/ the thumping of a conga drum...!

-- Dave

Hey, these songs aren't finished!

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed (from Chet's Me And Jerry; RCA, 1970): Just as the song (done as an instrumental) gets into "Sail on, Silver-Girl...", it cuts off; fades, really... Too predictable, perhaps? Or maybe the crescendo would be too stagey for 'jus' a couple o' guitars'...!

"Watching Scotty Grow" by organist Lenny Dee... The Mac Davis-written song, made best-known, by Bobby Goldsboro: No "Ridin' on Daddy's shoulders, off to bed, etc.", or how I interpret it for my daughter: "Swayin' in Daddy's arms, Little Ms. Sleepy Head", and in place of the "Story-read and Teddy Bear, named Fred", I sing it as "Fairy Tale and Little Doll, named Gail"--though she doesn't have/want one by that name--but, anyway, that ending part is omitted from Dee's instrumental version, making it almost two-minutes long--SHORT!

Another by Lenny: "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Old Oak Tree"--what the muzak system in a Beezus & Ramona book I'd read may have been playing at a place they ate at... The song (instrumental, of course) fades off, before most notably the Tony Orlando version (which is the most notable) boasts how "the whole damn bus is cheering--sort'a like "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" being the "baddest man in the whole DAMN town"!--just gently fades away, rather than chronicling the HUNDRED yellow ribbons, 'round the--Hmmmmm..., maybe I should just check out the other versions of this by perhaps, Ray Conniff...

-- Dave

At the end of Toto song "Manuela Run" (from their self-titled 1978 debut), someone is slamming the door!! Then the song "You Are The Flower" begins. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Tommy Bolin at the end of the song, "Teaser" from the Teaser album... There's the sound of a broken glass & some studio chatter from him...

Peter Paul & Mary, at the end of "Ms. Rheingold" has some studio chatter (rather nit-wit chatter, if it's from them, really, there), but the bass solo (maybe this is what Tony Levin who played on this track is talking about in the video documentary of the Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford Howe group he played in; "The Yes, Not Yes", that fold has been called)....

-- Dave

Hey, these songs aren't finished!

-- Dave

Well, ONE MORE, unfinished--and by (again) organist Lenny Dee:

"One Less Bell To Answer", done in a funeral-like dirge, allowed to fade, as opposed to ending with the proverbial "Why did he/she leave????!!!!"...!

-- Dave

On McGuinn, Clark & Hillman (founding Byrds members) self - titled from 1979, the song "Backstage Pass" (which has "Hey o' (hey o') hey o' (hey o') hey o' when they are done & which the audience is cheering) has a drum wrap at the end!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Paul Anka '70's:I hear a trumpet at the end of the last song on Side 2, "Real People"...

Anka even goes as far as to read off how he was "reading about a man in Texas, by the name of H. Ross Perot donating over-$3-Million-Dollars to send medicine & supplies to "our boys in prison camps"..." And reads off a guy, by the name of, "Charlie T. (Tee? (Tea?)", among other vingettes: men & women "making a better world for themselves & the people around them, no matter how much or how little they've got"...

(Perhaps the "trumpet" is a call to Herb Alpert's up-coming "philanthropy efforts"????) :laugh:

Dave :angel:

Well, here's Sonny and Cher singing it, and without a "similar statement", despite this sort of a "mission" their career had been on, even at this point, when both it, and their marriage was on the wane:

It just ends with a "fading "Bah, bah, bah, bah...--"..."...!

-- Dave

Yuk! Any wonder why I took the needle off of "Darlin' Nikki" from Prince's soundtrack for his film, Purple Rain just as the "normal part finished? Well, here, from Wikipedia:

Near the end of the song, the music stops into the sound of rain and wind. There is singing, but played in reverse. The vocals, unreversed, are Prince singing,

"Hello, how are you?
Fine fine 'cause I know that the Lord is coming soon
Coming, coming soon."

Sounds like someone showering, really & the operatic vocals--Uhhhh...--

-- Dave

Lou Gramm's trademark scream at the end of Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy"--reportedly missing from the '45'...

Also wish Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" single didn't have to fade off, abbreviated... Love the dreamy synthesizer lines that a long-ago-Denny's commercial had sound effects that reminded me of...

Side note flashback: The end of Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young) "Our House" ends w/ "I light the fire...--and you put the flowers in the vase ("vass" sings Graham Nash) etc."--well an AM 630 CFCO news broadcast left the song at the first line; no time to finish it entirely...

-- Dave

Well, I am surprised that so far the end of Pink Floyd's "Money" hasn't been mentioned... There's the guy talking (maybe two or more) and the lady who says "Cruisin' for a bruisin'!"... --Just the ramblin' of which I believe according to a couple sources is actually Paul McCartney...

-- Dave

Forgot about this song, The Raiders "We Gotta All Get Together" (from 1970 "Collage" long version), at the end of the song, I think Mark Lindsay is sayin' "My mind is going...I can feel it, I can feel it, I can feel it......:crazy:(when the tape is dyin' slowly.):faint::whoa: Matt Clark Sanford, MI P.S. Got the Raven (Australian CD import) which has "Indian Reservation"/"Collage" plus 2 bonus songs.

The end of Barry Manilow's "Copa Cabana": Will Lee's trademark bass sound (I danced to it on an emptying dance-floor as the song finished, "air-playing" & dancing to the cowbells & all, miming that bass lick, too!) at the end, as the song crescendos to a fade...

Oh, I put this song here, 'cause Will whips out that lick here--Aaaaannnnnddddd:

'Cause it's hard to believe that "yesterday" was SIX-YEARS-AGO, that I played this song in the morning before work, in the afternoon got a phone call, then drove through a treacherous & blinding snowstorm to see my First Child Born! (Then the next day, it was sunny, & the Winter melted as I was passing around & chomping on cigars!)

Happy SIXTH-Birthday to My Dear Daughter, LAURA! (& to you, too, John!--Your SEVENTIETH B-Day!!!!)

-- Dave

not-this-thread-again-104180449710.jpeg

Near the end of Creedence Clearwater Revival "Born On The Bayou" (from 1969 "Bayou Country"), John is saying "mmmmmmmercy" I think. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The end of Barry Manilow's "Copa Cabana":I danced to it on an emptying dance-floor as the song finished, "air-playing" & dancing to the cowbells & all, miming that bass lick, too!) at the end, as the song crescendos to a fade...

Oh, I think I mimed the cowbells & "air-played" as in "air-guitared" the bass lick--yeah, that sounds more like it, as I meant to say... (And a good argument for the idea that there is nothing lame about melody & musicianship, as the cowbells bring in the song)...

Now, SOLID GOLD--I remember when everything there was "lip-synced" unless it was acoustic (Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show doing "On The Cover Of The Rolling Stone") or the late-Harry Chapin (this episode was fortunately taped before his death in a car-accident, as the viwers were fore-warned) did "The Cats In The Cradle" accompanied by his brother Tom (two acoustic guitars--whattaya expect?!), but Blondie--Debbie Harry, really--did "The Tide Is High", and at the end of the song where it goes "I'm gonna be your number one", she shouts the line out to the audience...

Oh, yeh--Madonna: (why did I think (even at my youthful 12-years-old) it was "McDonna"?) I remember she'd just begun her career and she did "Holiday" (The biggest "More COWBELL!" since "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult)....

SOLID GOLD, afterwards became Gold Dust (some out'a work DANCERS, anyone?)...

-- Dave

"Solid Gold In Concert" ended in September of 1988.

Thank you for telling me, Matt...

(Yeh, some o' the 'coustic stuff on that show was the un-plugged of its time... Robert W. Morgan was "the "masked announcer" & "the ghost MC"...)

-- Dave

The late Eagles guitarist Glenn Frey "Party Town" (from 1982 "No Fun Aloud") "Can you say......Monster?":crazy: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Jackson Browne "Doctor, My Eyes"--there is a note from a piano as the song fades, that reminds me of the piano intro at the beginning of "Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)", the Burt Bacharach/Hal David song, sung by Christopher Cross... (A decade later, of course...)

And doesn't that guitar solo on there sound like one on "Lady" by Styx?!

-- Dave

The late-Duane Allman's signature "bird call" on his guitar at the end of "Layla", when he was with Derek & The Dominoes...! :crow:

-- Dave

Should this one be a "beginning" or "end" thing?

Well, listen to Herbie Mann's version of "Layla" from his London Underground album, and you'll hear the quiet instrumental-ballad part of the song first, then the racious rocker that introduces the original, albeit as an instrumental, that becomes his version's coda:

And do you wonder why only the cover of Donovan's "Mellow Yellow" went on The Evolution Of Mann 2-CD set?! Well, I do, too...! :crazy:

-- Dave

OK, the ad-lib lines at the end of this one (Keith Hampshire "Big Time Operator"--the big band-horns augment the many trades our hero was in throughout the plot of his story-song) speak for themselves:

-- Dave

So should Wolfman Jack's appearance in The Guess Who's "Clap For The Wolfman", a sort-of novelty record-homage to him, complete w/ some of his famous catch-phrases:

(There was also a (similar) Wolfman Jack appearance on the Stampeders "Hit The Road, Jack", too...)

-- Dave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom