Studio Door Closing While Tracking the Lead????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I read in Randy Schmidt's book that there was a Carpenters track out there that Richard and Karen shuddered at everytime they would listen to because you could hear the door closing in the background. There is no mention made as to which song, but I do notice a rather obvious "glitch" if you will on the lead vocal to "Bless The Beasts", in the very first verse, right at about "for in this world they have NO VOICE....they have no choice..."

I had noticed this years ago on the 1985 remix, and never bothered to study it. Then, after reading Randy's book, I went back to the original, more raw sounding mix from '72 and believe that this may be it. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? -Chris

It could possibly be "Somebody's Been Lyin" from MADE IN AMERICA.There's a very obvious noise in the piano/string section ending.

I mentioned this glitch on 'Somebody's Been Lyin'' weeks ago, interesting that this could possibly be the one with the closing door captured on the track. I always notice the sound during the closing section of the song.

Not sure for definite though - from the original posting it sounds like it's a fault that might rather be on one of the singles?? I doubt very much whether Richard and Karen would have the opportunity to hear this song played anywhere e.g. radio. It's simply an album track, which I doubt ever got any airplay anywhere.

Chris May said:
but I do notice a rather obvious "glitch" if you will on the lead vocal to "Bless The Beasts", in the very first verse, right at about "for in this world they have NO VOICE....they have no choice..."

You might be on to something. I've alway thought that 'squealing' sound on that line to be maybe some headphone feedback, but it actually sounds like it could be a door squeaking as it closed. Slightly earlier on that first line, you can hear some obvious tape wrinkles or 'burbles'. I always assumed that to be a flaw in the master. Perhaps with the actual tape itself, or maybe it got wrinkled on a bad rewind or something.

It must've been the take that Richard really wanted to use for him to have allowed that to be pressed into the A SONG FOR YOU album and the single. And I'm guessing that the rationalization might have been something like the fact that it was no worse than a normal vinyl imperfection.

Thankfully Richard found ways of getting rid of it in the remixes, but it's still there in all its glory on the REMASTERED CLASSIC version of A SONG FOR YOU.

Harry
NP: A SONG FOR YOU, Carpenters

Truth is Harry, I can still hear it on the remixes, which is why I am convinced that it is on the lead track. If you think about it, going back to the first additional recording/remix in 1985, the only track that was recut in that portion of the song is the piano in stereo, leaving the only track that could not possibly be recut, which would be Karen's lead.

The remix is the version that I first noticed it on years ago, and I do remember reading that the particular track that the Carpenters were referring to was a single or something of that nature, and it was towards the front end of the recording. It wasn't until after the tune was released that "only a trained ear could detect the sound of a door closing"....This made Richard and Karen shudder everytime they would hear it.

Incidentally, regarging "Somebody's Been Lyin'", I am familiar with the sound at the end of the track, which sounds like a tape machine glitch. You can hear a similar sound on the "Ticket To Ride" album, at the end of "Benediction". Listen closely to the very end of the last chord just before the track is finished...sounds like someone dropped their music, etc.... -Chris

Ok here is my findings.

Yes Chris, I do hear what you are talking about, however I doesn't sound like a door closing to me, it sounds more like a creeking sound, possibly a door closing but you don't hear the door actually shut closed, it sounds more like a squeeking, like someone caught the door before it closed. It could really also be a number of different things, could be a squeeking from a chair turning or an instrument creeking. I'm not so positive that is is an actual door. This is where I hear it & where I don't. And I hear it right after Karen says the word "have" on the first verse going in.

I hear it on:
Original Song for You Album
Original Song for You CD

I don't hear it on:
Treasures-Import from England under Pickwick
Original Master Song For You Gold MSFL Disc
Purple 25th Anniv Classics Volume 2

These are the only Cd's I have so compare it.

Interesting find. One I'm not sure the average listener would even pick up.

It reminds me of a Old Song of Olivia Newton John & how some believe that on one of her tracks, her dog Jackson from long ago, bumped into the sheet music stand while she recorded this track, it's been said that she had Jackson in the recording studio when that track was recorded, listening to it, really does sound like the stand was bumped into. LOL

Chris...Ok, not to be argumentative (this is all totally in fun), but I just pulled out both the remastered classics version of "Yesterday Once More", which includes one of the remixes of "Bless the Beasts" with the newer stereo piano, as well as "Interpretations" and I can still hear that sound on the track. Not as present, almost as if Richard intentionally tried to filter it out but it IS THERE. Then, I listened to the instrumental remix and it is not there at all, which means it is on the lead track; Either a compression thing or some other room noise. Like I said, the first time I noticed it was on a remix, and it was the Carpenters 25th Anniversary edition, which I believe was just a re-print of the original '85 "Yesterday Once More". And yes, it is a creaking sound. That is the sound I was referring to. I think if Randy reads this and knows the answer he should chime in......:)

The as-yet-to-be-determined noise in "Bless the Beasts and Children" is indeed present in all the CD versions with a vocal. I just loaded up the track from the original CD pressing, the remastered CD, the MFSL version, the YOM version, the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION version and the Reader's Digest version. It is more prominent in the original mix than in the remixes, but it definitely appears to be in the lead vocal track -- it does not appear at all in the ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE mix, which, of course, contains no lead vocal and a re-recorded piano track.

I honestly can't tell if it's in the original vinyl movie soundtrack mix, because the sound resembles vinyl surface noise so closely. There is a noise on my vinyl LP in the same spot as on the CDs, but there are almost identical sounds here and there all over that record...

David

Chris May, No Problem, were just discussing this interesting topic. I'm sure your right about hearing this, I don't have the Remastered Classics Cd. I had forgot about listening to the Karaoke Cd, I should take a listen to that, so your probably right that it's on karen's vocal lead, I think that explaines it right there by not being on the Karaoke track. Suprising that as perfect as Richard was he would have allowed that to be pressed as the final lead.

reminds me of when he mentioned the turning of the page by karen on Trying to get the Feeling, and Richard said for that imperfection alone the whole track would have been re-recorded but Karen never did & so we have this special little song with Karen turing the page. I love hearing that, makes it more real that Karen was human & real & we get a sense of being with her in the studio during that recording.

Chris,

Long time, no hear! It was "Bless the Beasts" that the article was referring to... I hope if we ever do a second edition of my book I am able to go back in and add more editor's notes... it really bothers me I didn't explain Karen's "Mott the Hoople" ordeal, which is referenced but not explained. I'd also like to get the 1974 Rolling Stone article in there... oh well...

But, yes, it's a door creaking sound on "Bless the Beasts"!

Randy

Great hearing from ya, Randy!!! Thanks for the reply. You know, it totally blows my mind that no one ever caught that thing until after the album was released. I can imagine that must be one of those things that Richard Carpenter still rolls his eyes at even after all this time. I know it would drive me crazy. Either way, it is a great vocal by Karen and arrangement by Richard so it totally makes up for it! -Chris

Wow! This is very interesting stuff!! I didn't even know about that door sound... But if it's on the vocal track, does this mean that a stereo microphone was used for Karen's voice, since I hear that "door sound" on the left channel only...

BTW, I hear it on the Remastered edition of ASFY, but on the ASFY CD that is part of a British 12-CD box from 1989 (sorry, forgot the title) I don't hear that noise at all! Could Richard have used Karen's words "they have no voice" (or perhaps a larger part) from another take in order to get rid of the door-squeaking noise??

Greg

It reminds me of a Old Song of Olivia Newton John & how some believe that on one of her tracks, her dog Jackson from long ago, bumped into the sheet music stand while she recorded this track, it's been said that she had Jackson in the recording studio when that track was recorded, listening to it, really does sound like the stand was bumped into. LOL

Chris, do you know which Olivia song that was? I read somewhere that this noise can be heard on If Not For You... I've just been listening to that one a couple of times, but I can't seem to hear it :o
Could you tell me if it's indeed on If Not For You and where, or rather when, you hear Jackson bump into that stand??

Greg

Hi Greg, Yes your right it is on "If Not For You" It appears during the instrumental section half way through, when the instrumental section plays listen real close w volume really loud, you'll hear a quick rattle sound half-way through the instrumental section, that's it. I remember Olivia saying that she never thought this song would do well for her, boy was she wrong, maybe at the time she didn't feel the need to have to re-record it. It's about the only glich on any of her songs.

Edit: Greg, It is at approx 1:49 sec on my real player on the Greatest Hits CD track #1 US Version

Thanks Chris. I could hear Jackson on Japanese "The Definitive Collection". Is Jackson Jackson of "Slow Down Jackson" of 'Clearly Love' album? I noticed that I have not heard Olivia since I got "Carpenters Perform Carpenter". You can hear Olivia's album on non-official olivianewton-john.net. "Slow Down Jackson"is the 3rd tune of "Clearly Love".

I read Olivia was going to meet Karen on 4th of Feb. of '83 lately. Last week I read that Olivia knew that Karen passed away on the radio when Olivia drove to Newville Avenue House. Olivia called a friend to pick her up, they went to Newville Avenue and then to the hospital. So sad.
Olivia was writing an autobiography, but she decided that she would not release it because it would tell private lives of her acquaintances to others.

Sakura

Thanks Chris! I heard it on the Greatest Hits 1 CD too, it's also well audible on the '45' from 1971 that I have (mono). Sakura, I believe that Jackson who made that noise while his mistress was recording is the one that Olivia sings about on the Clearly Love album. I really like that track Slow Down Jackson. It has a jazzy edge to it I think...

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the year that Olivia recorded If Not For You (1971) was also the year that she met the Carpenters at Annabelle's in London, at least according to Richard when he and Karen were guests on the Merv Griffin Show in 1981 with Olivia...

I read that story about Livvy being on her way to pick up Karen on Feb. 4th as well recently. I had never heard of this story before and it made me pretty sad when I read it. Must be surreal indeed when you hear such horrible news on the radio while you're on your way to pick up your friend...

Greg

Greg, cool you have the mono verison on 45 of If Not for You? Lucky you, I don't have that, but I have just started collecting more 45 recently since I got my turntable so I hope to find that one soon.

Yes, I remember them talking about that on Merv Griffin show, it was so surreal watching Olivia & John Travolta & Karen & Richard Carpenter all chatting like old friends. It's funny to watch Karen through all that, boy she loved to talk, you could tell also that Karen liked to make people laugh too.

Although Karen looked really thin on that show, it's one of the few that Olivia & Karen can be found talking together & I love to watch it. I like the part when Merv asks if Karen & Olivia get to "get together" very much, I Karen says something like, yeah I call her agent & she calls my agent (meaning there schedules are so busy they always miss each other due to work) ahh what memories what memories....

close2u said:
Karen's "Mott the Hoople" ordeal
Never heard about this before. Found one reference to it--
The Carpenters came to England in their excitement at being feted all over the place they let slip they'd seen this awful band called Mott the Hoople. It did not have the required effect and it taught them a big lesson.

http://www.ianhunter.com/mouth.shtml

In the process, I stumbled across this uninteresting factoid about Klaatu--
The band that some thought were the Beatles under a pseudonym, plus also writers of "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"...took their name from the line "Klaatu Barada Niktu" which was the phrase used to stop the robot from attacking people in the film "The Day The
Earth Stood Still".

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/Docs/bandnames.txt
Used to think it was some kind of acronym, kind of like ABBA.

It could be Bless the Beasts. But if you listen to the last seconds of Goobye to Love from A Song for You it sounds like a door closing. This could be a defect in the cd but I don't know.

I do think that Randy was probably talking about Bless the Beasts.

I thought of something else. Could the "door" possibly be a rolling chair. If you slide a chair across a floor the wheels sometimes makes that noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom