Stylus recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

Can anyone recommend a good turntable and/or stylus? I'm using a 3-speed Crosby turntable and the stylus is almost 3 years old. Thanks.

Depends how much you want to spend, and how much of an upgrade you want. Not familiar with Crosby, unfortunately. IMHO if you're looking to upgrade the turntable, you'd do better with a used turntable, since the new mass-market ones sold today are plasticky crap. Back in the 80s, you could get a warhorse Technics, or a Dual that was considered "near-audiophile" at a very affordable price point. Avoid the Technics tables with the P-mount cartridges: they were the lower quality "consumer" brand. Many are available on eBay--just be sure to find one from a reputable seller that knows how to package one correctly (remove the platter, counterweight, etc., secure the tonearm, double-box). Some Dual turntables have the cartridge integral with the arm, like my CS506--it's an Ortofon, and it tracks surprisingly well.

For cartridges, the Shure M97XE comes recommended for its price range, and the Audio Technica 440MLa has been getting some good feedback as a "giant killer" with its superior tracking ability, and it's not overly bright like the other Audio Technica carts I've heard or used in the past. My favorite is the Shure V15VxMR, but now that it's out of production, prices have skyrocketed. It tracks everything I've thrown at it.

Denon made good turntables back in the day, but they're getting pricey. Denon also has a couple of current models, but the cheaper one is no prize. Micro Seiki also had some good ones, including a pricey direct drive unit that could support three (!) tonearms! If you happen to see some of the "DJ" turntables out there, with the straight short tonearms, avoid them at all costs: they were not built for sound quality, and they'll shred your vinyl! They're made more for the heavy rigors of back-cueing and "scratching" that pro DJs are looking for. (The straight, short arm prevents the stylus from hopping out of the groove.)

Thanks for the very detailed advice, Rudy. :thumbsup: I'm getting concerned about the stylus I'm using right now, as a record I recently opened (pressed almost 40 yrs. ago, still shrinkwrapped til now) is starting to give some fuzzy sounds. Maybe it's dust in the grooves; or could it be my stylus shredding the record? I'll have to look into some of those used turntables you mentioned...

seashorepiano said:
Thanks for the very detailed advice, Rudy. :thumbsup: I'm getting concerned about the stylus I'm using right now, as a record I recently opened (pressed almost 40 yrs. ago, still shrinkwrapped til now) is starting to give some fuzzy sounds. Maybe it's dust in the grooves; or could it be my stylus shredding the record? I'll have to look into some of those used turntables you mentioned...

Yes--if you're hearing distortion, definitely do not play any more vinyl on that turntable! I know that lesser cartridges can't track the grooves as well as better ones, but if the stylus is worn and/or the cartridge is misaligned, you could really do some damage.

There used to be a guy on eBay who ran a shop that refurbished and sold turntables...I'm thinking he had a business that was called something like the "Turntable Guy". That's the type of place you'd be better off buying a used unit from--he'd have the cartridge installed and aligned for you, and if there are any rubber parts (such as, in a belt-drive turntable), they'd be fresh and new. I read an article about a record shop in the Detroit area that sells used turntables as a sideline (Solo Records), since people were getting back into vinyl. I wouldn't exactly go dumpster diving for one, but you might even find a good one at a thrift shop, garage sale, etc.

There is a site that lists only audio equipment:

http://www.audiogon.com

....but it tends to lean more toward the expensive gear. There can still be some bargains, but they'll go fast.

BTW, Rudy: what is the average lifespan of a stylus? I believe the one I currently use is made of diamond (I know the material that comprises the stylus makes all the difference - graphite kicks the bucket much faster). It's taken a few good hits in its time (meaning, it's been dropped accidentally and hit a few hard surfaces more than once).

Also, is there any way to detect shredding by just looking at the record? Thanks.

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but since I have it already scanned: :laugh:

columbia-1.jpg

seashorepiano said:
BTW, Rudy: what is the average lifespan of a stylus? I believe the one I currently use is made of diamond (I know the material that comprises the stylus makes all the difference - graphite kicks the bucket much faster). It's taken a few good hits in its time (meaning, it's been dropped accidentally and hit a few hard surfaces more than once).

Also, is there any way to detect shredding by just looking at the record? Thanks.

You can't really tell if there's groove wear damage by looking at a record. I can't tell you how many LPs I've bought over the years that looked perfectly good, clean, no scratches, etc., but only to get it home and hear the inner grooves shredded up by some person's old Magnavox console. The only way to tell if a stylus is worn is to take it off and over to a dealer that has a microscope to look at it.

Well, I took the record tonight and cleaned it with a damp cloth, then put it back on the turntable. The static sounds were even worse. :mad: Hopefully the record (a mint copy) isn't permanently damaged, but I'm definitely looking for new equipment now.

seashorepiano said:
The maker of my turntable isn't Crosby. It's "Crosley." Does this make a difference?

Yes! Keep ol' Bing away from it! :laugh:

--Mr Bill

:rotf:

The problem seems to be with the needle itself, so I'll get a new one and try that out before going for any more extensive repairs.

If you want to play those old Crosby faves (like "White Christmas") may I suggest you invest in a new "Bing and Olafsen" system?

--Mr Bill

Hey, I've been following this STYLUS RECCOMMENDATION Thread...!

Sorry, a "New" Record right out of the Shrink-Wrap suddenly sounds "Old & Crappy"...

Believe me, I understand completely! My "New" Andy Williams and 5th Dimension LP's I bought just ONE-YEAR-AGO are having me scrounge around for "NEW COPIES", AGAIN!! :mad:

I've never heard of a Crosby Turntable... (But I see you changed it: Crosley; former Brand Name was an error) :neutral:inkshield:

I own a fully-automatic Techniques after having a Semi-Automatic Marantz (both bought second-hand) and back in 1989 bought a new Semi-Auto Techniques to replace my BSR 4-Speed Changer on my PANASONIC Complete System (with the slide-bars for VOLUME, BALANCE, BASS & TREBLE) I also used to have a portable 3-Speed General Electric Changer--ALL my impulse! LP's and Roger Nichols album got played on that, but they STILL Sounded New, even on my equipment which was better-- because the tonearm wasn't as heavy... I usually stacked stuff on the GE that I wasn't particularily fond of, but loved to fall asleep to... To me back then, those records were too valuable to get rid of and could luckily turn the stack over and play before it was time to get up, and were easily not good enough to play on my good equipment--'cause I didn't like everything on 'em! :goofygrin:

I'm sure the record is OK... After buying a NEW Stylus annually I have learned that you can actually just get it CLEANED and it will play like new! (Even though I finally found someone NEAR ME with an "Endless Supply" of 'em...--Hah! --We'll See!)

Dave

...Hope things are working out OK for you !

You'd be better off with something like this link below. If that Crosley is only a few years old, it's not really something to play valuable records on--IOW, it was designed more for casual users cashing in on nostalgia (Crosley is a name from the 30s, an old manufacturer of radios).

Technics SL-QD33 Auction

$50, and someone else I know is familiar with the seller, and knows it won't be a thrift shop junker. It uses a P-Mount cartridge, which means you won't have any adjustments to make in the future.

Thanks Rudy, I appreciate it. :thumbsup: When I bought the Crosley I was a neophyte in turntables and LPs. My only concern is that playing records on it all this time has damaged them all. I'll check out the link and a local store that sells Technics equipment.

In our basement there's a Sanyo GXT 200 with two speakers. Rudy, do you have any opinions on Sanyo (or can you tell me via PM)?

I use Ortophone cartridges exclusively on my turntable. They sound fantastic, they're durable, and they're kind to LP's. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Ed

seashorepiano said:
In our basement there's a Sanyo GXT 200 with two speakers. Rudy, do you have any opinions on Sanyo (or can you tell me via PM)?

If it's an all-in-one system, the turntable portion is not very good.

What are you playing your CDs on right now? That might help determine what we could recommend in terms of turntables. There are plenty used ones out there under $100 that would probably treat your vinyl much better.

This one, however, may be out of our price range. :D

michell_gyrodec.jpg

Hi,

Get yourself a nice Technics Direct Drive machine. Low maintenance, excellent performance, and nice sonics. I think the Technics SL 1200 is the best turntable bargain out there. Around $450 will get you one. Try a Shure M 97 xE or Audio Technica AT 440 MLa for a cartridge and really hear your vinyl! I have heard turntables which cost 2-3 times the price which weren't much better.

Rudy said:
What are you playing your CDs on right now? That might help determine what we could recommend in terms of turntables.

There was an old Sony CD player that I infrequently used, but more often I've been playing CDs on the computer. I will look into Technics equipment.

Just curious if you had a music system that you could hook the turntable up to; otherwise, our recommendations won't do you much good. At the very least you'd need a receiver and a set of speakers...

Well, the Sanyo hooked up to two Sanyo speakers, which are separate units (sorry I didn't make it clear earlier). I can hook up the turntable to them as long as the turntable has the ability to take the two sets of black and red wires from the speakers.

seashorepiano said:
Well, the Sanyo hooked up to two Sanyo speakers, which are separate units (sorry I didn't make it clear earlier). I can hook up the turntable to them as long as the turntable has the ability to take the two sets of black and red wires from the speakers.

Unfortunately that won't work: you need a receiver or other amp to plug the turntable into. Turntables such as that don't have a speaker-level output. You'd have to make that step upward into better equipment to get a decent turntable for the LPs. Thing is, you can probably score some good used equipment on eBay, Craigslist or elsewhere, along with maybe a decent pair of speakers that won't cost much. Depends if you want to make the monetary commitment or not. :wink: Then again, if you're treating your vinyl better, it may be worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom