⭐ Official Review Summertime [Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass]

Yeah, I remember this special. I saw it in the 90s, at The Museum of Broadcasting/Television and Radio. Very interesting presentation of Herb and Lani singing "Summertime" and The Carpenters little comedy skits with Herb as well. I also remember Herb's competition at the time, Al Hirt being on these specials.

Wow the lighting on that is sure weird -- or it might just be something to do with the VHS transfer, but Herb's upper half looks like he's in monochrome. Very weird.

Herb briefly mentions this performance in the BBC interview show, so I knew it existed but had never seen it before, thanks for posting it.

Wow the lighting on that is sure weird -- or it might just be something to do with the VHS transfer, but Herb's upper half looks like he's in monochrome. Very weird.

Herb briefly mentions this performance in the BBC interview show, so I knew it existed but had never seen it before, thanks for posting it.
I hope we can see a crisp transfer some time soon! I do have various clips from "This Guy's in Love with You" from that same episode (where Herb is sitting on that letter H with the black background; the Carpenters introduced him, which you can see in Herb Alpert Is...). Maybe I'll try to stitch together something from the footage I already have. :) Then once I do that, I'll be sure to post it in the "Beat of the Brass" forum!

Yeah, I remember this special. I saw it in the 90s, at The Museum of Broadcasting/Television and Radio. Very interesting presentation of Herb and Lani singing "Summertime" and The Carpenters little comedy skits with Herb as well. I also remember Herb's competition at the time, Al Hirt being on these specials.
It was actually not a 'special' but rather, The Carpenters in a Summer replacement show.

Years ago, I saw a notice about the release of Summertime in Billboard Magazine. They had a note for record stores to display it heavily but few of them did.

Back
Top Bottom