Superstar: KC Story...for downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Here's a link to download that funky movie "Superstar". You can download as MPEG, MPEG2, or stream it in RealMedia (if you don't mind their spyware on your computer).

I'm downloading the 1GB version of the MPEG-2. Thanks to their slow provider (34.1KB/sec...way slow!), it is saying about eight hours to download via my broadband. Under top speed, it really should only take me 1 hour, 40 minutes.

I've got a copy of that film, pretty controversial as has been chronicled elsewhere, but fascinating nonetheless. Especially the footage of the Newville house. The day Todd turned up at the house with his videocamera I bet they never had any idea what it was really for.

I wasn't exactly enamoured with the footage of Holocaust victims, I think the point he wanted to make could have been made without that.

I did hear a story that Todd Haynes managed to get the film a screening at a local cinema in the US, and at the end some woman got up and started screaming and shouting at him about the content and how disgusted she was.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Stephen

I refuse to give him any credit for that film with a download or a site visit, and all fans should feel the same.

Craig

Shoot...a 1 GB file, only had 21MB left, and my connection crapped out. :mad:

I'd be glad to finally get the chance to watch this movie, because I think this is the only movie which looks behind the shiny masquerade Karen and Richard played in public.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread: Karen didn't starve herself to death for nothing. :sad:

But I won't download the movie, because I think my computer isn't able to do this.

Some weeks ago, I watched Todd Haynes critically acclaimed new movie FAR FROM HEAVEN, which looks behind the fassade of an average american family. Great picture! Perhaps Haynes should direct a remake of SUPERSTAR, this time with real actors instead of Barbie dolls, so Mattel won't go to court, and this time without the original Carpenters music, so Richard Carpenter won't go to court.

Bruno
waiting to get a copy of SUPERSTAR some other way someday.....

The MPEG-2 version is just over 1GB, where the MPEG-1 version is only 440MB, which would fit on a CD. The MPEG-2 version is actually ideal for transfering to a DVD...but I do not yet have a DVD burner. Soon, though...once I get some new componentry for my main computer. :)

The RealMedia streaming version may be watchable, but I don't think you can save those to the disk. Over dial-up the quality would be atrocious anyway.

Bruno :

Glad you viewed and enjoyed Far From Heaven :)

Totally overlooked at the Oscars ! :oops:

Would be interesting for Haynes to revisit Carpenters Lives & Music again ...wonder if Haynes today views Superstar ....with any affection or pride in this very early work ? :confused:

Peter

I watched the movie last night...it is an odd piece of work to say the least. One can't really tell if the film mocks the Carpenters, or just uses fact-based fiction presented through Barbie dolls to tell a sympathetic version of their story. I don't know what to think yet--I may need to watch it again.

The quality of the MPEG2 file is questionable. I don't know if it's an error in the file, but the picture is framed strangely, taller than it is wide. I do not know if this is intentional or not--the film does seem "squished". You'd think it would be at the proper 4:3 aspect ratio of standard TV.

I once read, that Todd Haynes is a big fan of Karen Carpenter, and that's just why he felt the need to tell the true story of her life.

Neil, what, in your opinion, is the message of this movie?

Bruno

The only real message I got was that anorexia can kill. It seemed more like the Carpenters' own events were just milestones in the story line. I'd have to watch it a few more times to figure it out.

My overriding feeling about all of this is that Todd had extraordinary access to some information for his film that was only released after the official KC story came out and the book by Ray Coleman was released.

Colemans book was published in the 1990s..so how come Todd knew Karen and her parents had eaten tacos at Bob's Big Boy....Karen's comments with Cherry Boone....how come he knew all the details of Steven Levenkron's treatment....or am I missing the point here?

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom