Superstar Video Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Chris,

Thanks for the link. I have not watched the live at Budokan 1974. I have seen photos of Karen & Richard in denim at the concerts, press conference and a luncheon in their honor given by King Records at the Chinzanso, where they were each presented with a pure silk kimono(also in Japanese kimono. Karen's blue kimono was very beautiful). They came to Japan in summer of 1974.
And I watched "Mr. Guder" and "Sometimes" in which Karen was in the same outfit of your link on NHK last year and this year. It was Belgium. Richard had the vest and the shirt on. Before Richard played the piano on "Sometimes", he said that the song was writtern by H.Mancini and his daughter F. Mancini four years ago. Karen was lively very much, with charming face when she sang and played the drum on "Mr. Guder".

In the newsletter #36 Ev wrote:

The Carpenters recent European tour was a great success. The 10 ? hour flight took them from 80 degree Downey to a snowy 30 degree London.

The outfit may be for winter. So the clip might be from Europe(?). But as I wrote before, I have not watched "Live at Budokan" or "Live in Japan" of 1974 so it might be from Budokan.

Ev worte in the same newsletter:

Karen & Richard met Olivia Newton-John there & thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

I wonder if Karen met Olivia for the first time or they met earlier. I heard that Richard said the year on the show where Karen, Richard and Olivia were in a clip. But I don't remember when.

Sakura

May I talk about the clip on RoadO-- site?
It was taped in 1974, too. The clip is not so clear that Japanese in the clip is not clear.
I cannot read all. I read "Carpenters, Ticket To Ride, Close To You, Richard" in Japanese.
Did anyone see the clip on TV? BS2?

Hi, 350hunny,
Can you read Japanese in the clip?
(Let me write in Japanese Roma-ji
Spectrum no demo tape no ken, anoato nandomo yomitorouto sitanodesuga
350hunny san hodo hakkiri miemasendesita. Nanbonka rokuga sitanode hokano tape mo
mitemimasu. Nanika wakattara gorenraku simasu.)

Sakura

Hi, guys. I believe this clip is from a UK concert around 1974.
I have two of Rock Almanac LDs released in Japan each including Please Mr.Postman and Jambalaya. And Karen clothed in the same costume appearing in these clips is identical to that of the Superstar clip.
I think I saw Karen singing Yesterday Once More on the same stage at first and then those two clips and finally the video of the whole show.
I can't remember the name of the show right now since I tucked the video away for a long time.

Salute to SakuraSYayoi
Hi there. I got your message. I appreciate your interest in my post.
Keep in touch and have a nice weekend. Ciao!

Thanks for your information, 350hunny.
Karen and Richard were on European tour between Feb. 7-26th of 1974.
They first went to London then Franfurt, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Brussels and Amsterdam.
So the clip was taped early Feb., wasn't it?

I hope you had a good weekend, too.
It is my daughter's birthday today(June the 1st). My daughter entered the elementary school in this April. The music of the entrance march and leaving march of her entrance ceremony was Top Of The World. It was instrumental. I thought they should play TOTW of PIANIST.ARRANGER.COMPOSER.CONDUCTOR.
Anyway Carpenters moment made me happy.

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
So the clip was taped early Feb., wasn't it?

It is my daughter's birthday today(June the 1st). My daughter entered the elementary school in this April. The music of the entrance march and leaving march of her entrance ceremony was Top Of The World. It was instrumental. I thought they should play TOTW of PIANIST.ARRANGER.COMPOSER.CONDUCTOR.
Anyway Carpenters moment made me happy.

Sakura

I'm not sure of the date. You're probably right.
My birthday falls on the same day so that makes two.
Marylin Monroe was born on the same day so that makes three.
TOTW was a good choice on such an occasion.

Happy Birthday, 350hunny! (I'm sorry it's late.)

It's so nice to know to share a birthday with Marylin Monroe.
My daughter was born on my brother's-in-law father's birthday.
So makes four!

Some of Richard's children were born in July.
Does anyone at Forum share a birthday with them?
July 7th, 20th and 25th

If you know when Taylor(Richard's youngest daughter) was born,
will you let me know?
I hope Colin and Taylor will sing together on a stage someday.

Hello Chris,

I watched a video today, and found that the clip on BBC was taped in UK, 1974.
Karen, who had a beautiful white long dress with mutton-sleeve(SP?) on, sang "Superstar" in the video was so impressive that I forgot to have seen the same clip as BBC.

Sakura

Hi Sakura,

Thanks for the info, I thought this was not the Budakon video, so I was suprised to hear this is the UK concert. I am not familar with this UK one, too bad this clip link is not a longer version I would love to see more.

This is yet another indication that there is decent live video still out there that Richard could compile & release on DVD for the fans. But here I go dreaming again that this will ever happen.

Karen & Richard might tape the concerts in
Belgium 1974
London 1974
London 1976(New London Theatre) (by BBC).

I wish I had watched the show at New London Theatre,
especially “I Need To Be In Love” on DVD.
Did Karen play the drum there?
Did Karen & Richard play Grease?
“Grease Lightnin’”
“We Go Together”
“Beauty School Dropout”
“Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee”
Did they play “Don’t Be Afraid”, “Sing” or “Close To You”(something like TV Special version)?
Or I hope Live At The Palladium 2 CD.

Sakura

Thanks a lot, 350hunny!
Your list of singles made me feel like looking for single covers on the net. And finally I found a Grease clip. I cannot explain how I am glad. Just after I could listen to the clip, the site began to say that this site was temporarily unabailable. Any way I heard the melody of Yesterday Once More - Grease songs - Yesterday Once More. What a beautiful voice Richard sung! I enjoyed Karen's funny voice in "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee". It reminded me of the short musical at Budokan in 1976. It was big fun.

Thank a Carpenters fan in Canada who created the wonderful site!!

The clip was taped for Dutch TV in 1976. There are the clips of "Don't Be Afraid - Sing(Karen sung a little in Japanese)" and "I Need To Be In Love(of course, live)".

There are more clips. Karen's "Because We Are In Love" and Richard's "The Wedding Prayer" at her wedding! I heard TWP for the first time.

They say that this site is temporariy unailable now. But you might search the page with typing "Karen I Need To Be In Love Grease Dutch TV" in a secrch engine in Canada.

Sakura, sorry for off course

SakuraSYayoi said:
They say that this site is temporariy unailable now. But you might search the page with typing "Karen I Need To Be In Love Grease Dutch TV" in a secrch engine in Canada.

Hi Sakura! That was MY website that you visited. :) I'm happy that you enjoyed the clips!

I think that Geocities has put a download limit on my site. If you get the "temporarily unavailable" message, you will have to try again later.

To access my site, just click the "WWW" icon at the bottom of any of my posts.

Murray

Murray,

You created the website! I am familiar with your name on this forum. What a big suprise!
I know there is your site because of Ms.Ogura's link. I tried before, but they said this site was temporarily unabailable. I'm very glad to reach your site. Today I listen to your clips again and again. Thanks a lot for showing me to come to your site.

Do you know if there are other songs in Dutch TV?

Sakura

Hi Murray, I also like your site thanks alot for it.

I especially like the listening room.

Where did u get that photo of the minister & Karen & Tom? Also how did you come across that recording of the wedding. I know you probably answered it but I've forgot.

:)

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Where did u get that photo of the minister & Karen & Tom? Also how did you come across that recording of the wedding. I know you probably answered it but I've forgot.

I don't remember where the picture came from. I think I found it on the web years ago. Karen and Tom had their wedding professionally video taped, and gave it to each of the members of their wedding party. I got a copy of the video from a friend, but the quality is the poorest of any video in my collection. It's so fuzzy that the faces are barely recognizable, the picture rolls, and has really bad color streaks running through it. Fortunately, the audio is clear, so I used that for the website. I would LOVE to see a good copy of the video, but since it was made for close family and friends, we all know that it will NEVER be released to the public. I'm surprised that I haven't received an email from Richard's attorney asking me to remove the audio from my site! I hope that he doesn't read this forum! :rolleyes:

Murray

According to an interview I read a long time ago, Karen says that when she checked on how the video came out, she enjoyed watching the people looking around for Karen and wondering where she was singing the song out of their sight. Actually it was just a playback of the song.
If I'm not mistaken, this is a different version from the one on Made In America. The vocals sounded a bit like a work lead.

Murray said:
SakuraSYayoi said:

Hi Sakura! That was MY website that you visited. :) I'm happy that you enjoyed the clips!

I think that Geocities has put a download limit on my site. If you get the "temporarily unavailable" message, you will have to try again later.

To access my site, just click the "WWW" icon at the bottom of any of my posts.

Murray

Hi Murray - What's your website address? I'd love to listen to those clips?
By the way, do you know of any other website that has rare material (downloads)?

I finally found the video tape of this show:The Talk Of The Town
And I see the date as March 3rd 1974.
I'm not sure but it seems to be its air date on BBC.

I played it back for a moment and I noticed the orchestra sounded very gorgeous.

As usual, this Superstar is the opener for the show.

BBC 1974 TV Special Aired Early March 1974 on BBC 1 Channel.

Recorded Live at London's Talk of The Town , Cabaret Club at Leicester Square, London. Any Visitors to London Should Travel to L/S
and Visit The Hippodrome( Current Name ).

This Special was Recorded at the end of Record Breaking UK & European Tours and with Singles 1969-1973 #1 and Commencing
Domination of UK Album Sales :)

Great Special with Energy, Verve and Belying the Usual Comments that Carpenters were Bland , Soft and Uninspired , Karen and Richard Plus Group were very Focused both on Carpenters Classics and Medley of Golden Oldies :o

Saw this Special on Large Screen in London in 1997 With Other Carpenters Friends -Even Better than Before if this is Possible !! :shock:

Peter....Memories of Great Special.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom